• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

To be fair to McGrath, I'd always have had Healy ahead if the two were at their absolute best. The idea that he's a bench player is nonsense.

I understand the central contract thing, and he'd be a star for Ulster. But it's not hard to imagine a scenario where Ulster crash and burn in Europe while Healy and Byrne are flying it for Leinster. In that case, is he really likely to get a central contract?

Also, I understand that nationally contracted players can move whenever they like, but it's not particularly fair on Leinster when a player (test Lion no less) is in theory contracted to them till 2020 and then decides to head off more or less solely for the good of his career. (In Joey's case at least the national team clearly stood to benefit.) It'd be the second time in two years a player left Leinster to another province during contract, in a move that would be sanctioned and probably (definitely in Carbery's case) encouraged by the IRFU. If you were in Leo's shoes you'd be pretty p***** off.

Leinster's squad is being decimated as things stand. From the double winning squad we've lost/will lose: Richardt Strauss, maybe Jack McGrath, Jordi, Ian Nagle, Sean O'Brien, Joey Carbery, Nick McCarthy, Noel Reid, Isa Nacewa, Jamie Heaslip (to an extent) and the IRFU have tried to get Ross Byrne, Peter Dooley and Andrew Porter to move as well (and the endless Max Deegan articles). It doesn't matter how good our academy is, you can just lose that and expect to win trophies.

On that though. McGrath contracted to IRFU not Leinster.
And yes Ulster may crash out of Europe but equally may improve. I think it's a gamble but McGraths best route to national contract. If he stays at Leinster he has no chance as he isn't even a starter

On that though. McGrath contracted to IRFU not Leinster.
And yes Ulster may crash out of Europe but equally may improve. I think it's a gamble but McGraths best route to national contract. If he stays at Leinster he has no chance as he isn't even a starter
Contract negotiations start in what? November and are usually wrapped up by January or February? He'll arrive in Ulster at the earliest in early November after the RWC. There's no way he convinces anyone to give him a national contract playing at most 6-8 games for Ulster, it doesn't make sense.

Cipriani wants out of Gloucester, apparently.

Makes sense: he only stayed in England so he could play for England and the chances if him making the world cup are slim to none

Contract negotiations start in what? November and are usually wrapped up by January or February? He'll arrive in Ulster at the earliest in early November after the RWC. There's no way he convinces anyone to give him a national contract playing at most 6-8 games for Ulster, it doesn't make sense.
But moving there may strengthen his case. I'm not saying it guarantees any deal but maybe a big 2 or 3 games even as a starter and considering he is vital to Ulster help get the national deal. Maybe now he is saying I want this move but only on an extended deal similar to what he has now.

Josh Adams > Blues appears to be on the cards. If the Blues are thing next season anyway...

Josh Adams > Blues appears to be on the cards. If the Blues are thing next season anyway...

Not player related but more coach related. With Wales super charged up and playing with such intensity under Gatland I can't help think there may well be a bit of a post WC crash/come down as the new regime takes over. May not last too long but I just don't know if Pivac will be able to walk straight in and keep up the same level of performance. Same may apply to Ireland after Schmidt leaves. Will be interesting to see how the players react.

Cipriani wants out of Gloucester, apparently.

Makes sense: he only stayed in England so he could play for England and the chances if him making the world cup are slim to none
Going this summer? Yes, and surely everyone expected that.
But slim to none? He's one bad tackle / taken in the air / trapped studs away from going.

He signed a 2 year deal, is the issue
Needs to find a club to buy the last year out or negotiate a release with Gloucester
Yeah, I know. Did anyone believe it though?
And someone in France will pay to release; if not, Glos will have to decide if a sulky Cups is worth keeping or not

Wasn't he getting very little attention from clubs after leaving Wasps? Can't see any clubs wanting him enough to buy him out.

I'd take him at Chiefs....but only when his contract runs out.

Last edited:
Jack McGrath to Ulster is gaining a bit of steam now according to the 42. They say nothing is signed but McGrath himself went looking for the move for game time. I understand how he feels, and with Byrne and Dooley Leinster won't be too hamstrung by this, but it's a shame all the same in my opinion. No man that went to such a good school should have to move to a subpar province.

Not player related but more coach related. With Wales super charged up and playing with such intensity under Gatland I can't help think there may well be a bit of a post WC crash/come down as the new regime takes over. May not last too long but I just don't know if Pivac will be able to walk straight in and keep up the same level of performance. Same may apply to Ireland after Schmidt leaves. Will be interesting to see how the players react.

It's true, and definitely something that could well happen post-Gatland. However the positive is that a decent chunk of the squad will have played under Pivac and Stephen Jones at the Scarlets which I'm hoping will help smooth the transition.

I mean at least Pivac has a nice easy start right?

http://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/...for-three-game-test-series-in-2020/21924.html

...oh

Jean-Luc and Dan Du Preez also linked to Sale, to join at the end of the 2020 Super Rugby Season.

Given current players and their confirmed signings, that would bring them up to 7 South Africans. (Ignoring the potential of Kitshoff also joining)

Dom Barrow has left Saints by mutual consent- Seems a bit of a recurring theme, didn't the same happen at Tigers?

Anyone know the exact ruling of how many foreign based players you can field at one time? i belive it was 4? but those of European or Tier 2 nations aren't included? so for example how wasps would field Skudder (maybe ;) ), Savea (maybe?), Fekitoa, Allen, Soponga, Johnson, Carr, De Jongh, all at the same time?

Coventry All blacks with a blend of Saffer is looking signficant now haha