• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I'd cry, the rumour's been going around for a while now.

He's only recently married and just had the house done up so I guess those are factors to say. Be interesting to see how it works out, I can't imagine Healy will be staying around too much longer with all the injury problems he's had.
Belfast isn't a million miles away. Could still live in Dublin alot. Would be similar to likes of POM who live in Cork but are full time based in Limerick.
Issue I'm sure for Jack is he will potentially take aprrox €100k-€150K of a cut if he looses national contract is what is being quoted.

Naholo to Irish, also Milner Skudder trying to back out of a move to Toulon....

Wonder if Milner Skudder was the big exciting news player Jim Hamilton and Goodey were referring to for Wasps? similar player to Wade and old captain and all black mates will be there..

Belfast isn't a million miles away. Could still live in Dublin alot. Would be similar to likes of POM who live in Cork but are full time based in Limerick.
Issue I'm sure for Jack is he will potentially take aprrox €100k-€150K of a cut if he looses national contract is what is being quoted.
Belfast is less than 2 hours away at the moment. It'll be 6 hours away when the border wall goes up at the end of next month!

Belfast is less than 2 hours away at the moment. It'll be 6 hours away when the border wall goes up at the end of next month!
Maybe (I don't believe there will ever be a border) but that is a seperate issue. I'm sure for the extra €100k or so Jack will happily sort some arrangement.

Wonder if Milner Skudder was the big exciting news player Jim Hamilton and Goodey were referring to for Wasps? similar player to Wade and old captain and all black mates will be there..
I imagine he's been speaking to Fekitoa and Savea who've basically put him off, apparently he's signed a pre-contract to join for 3 years so Boudjellal wouldn't take to kindly to him backing out if that's the case....

Wasps would be a good shout replacing Le Roux on the wage bill, so cash shouldn't be an issue, and I imagine Sopoaga, Shields and Fekitoa will all be in his ear....

Please don't. Doesn't even make sense for his career long-term. He's a few years younger than Healy, who's been playing at the top level since he was 20 and has had a fairly rough time with injuries. Can't imagine he's going to be around much longer.

On the other hand, it hasn't really gotten much media traction, but Ed Byrne has been seriously good this year.

Please don't. Doesn't even make sense for his career long-term. He's a few years younger than Healy, who's been playing at the top level since he was 20 and has had a fairly rough time with injuries. Can't imagine he's going to be around much longer.

On the other hand, it hasn't really gotten much media traction, but Ed Byrne has been seriously good this year.
I honestly wouldn't understand it. What Muff is saying does make sense but based on talent and potential he's the second best prop in the country after Healy, his current poor form is circumstantial, mostly due to injury. Unless he's not a fan of the coaching he's getting in Leinster and Macfarland impressed him I think its a massive risk for little to no reason.

Well there is 2 sides to it. 1 as you point out Byrne and to a lesser extent Dooley have been very good.

On McGrath and his long-term sense it does kind of make sense. At the moment he has dropped to 3rd choice for country and 2nd choice for province. He wants to play games regularly. Now Healy will not be retiring in the next 12 months so now is the gamble.
1. Does Jack stay at Leinster and hope to overtake Cian. (And do it in 1 year or loose out on big contract) as well as hope noone overtakes him there.
2. Move and be a starter and hope to earn a big deal.

I honestly wouldn't understand it. What Muff is saying does make sense but based on talent and potential he's the second best prop in the country after Healy, his current poor form is circumstantial, mostly due to injury. Unless he's not a fan of the coaching he's getting in Leinster and Macfarland impressed him I think its a massive risk for little to no reason.
But as being seen now he is seen as the 3rd best. Like think about it if you had to give 1 of 20 contracts out would he be in that 20. In current scenario I'd say he wouldn't be in the top 30. Yes you can say that form is down to injury etc. But at same time this is a cut throat business and if he doesn't pick it up he will suffer.
Now his last contract negotiation was as a starting Lion and he got a big national contract. I'm sure the drop from that to a provincal deal is as I said substantial and well as I point out currently he is 3rd choice in his position for country.

We're losing too many players. It's not at all realistic to weaken your squad every year and expect to compete at the top level in Europe.

Short-term this makes a degree of sense (for him, definitely not for Leinster), if he stays he'll be starting for Leinster in two years probably, seems shortsighted to be honest. And let's face it for McGrath starting for Leinster >>>> starting for Ulster for a multitude of reasons, primarily that he's lived in/played for/supported Leinster more or less his entire life.

Also, if I hear one more person refer to an interprovincial move as "the best deal for all parties" I'm going to explode with rage. In the vast majority of cases these aren't in Leinster's (or whoever the player is leaving) interest. Only people in Leinster with a genuine interest in Jack McGrath leaving

No need to keep beating around the bush. He's coming up 'cos we're mighty craic and listening to them D4 jackeens would melt your f**king head. Any wonder SOB is off to London.

We're losing too many players. It's not at all realistic to weaken your squad every year and expect to compete at the top level in Europe.

Short-term this makes a degree of sense (for him, definitely not for Leinster), if he stays he'll be starting for Leinster in two years probably, seems shortsighted to be honest. And let's face it for McGrath starting for Leinster >>>> starting for Ulster for a multitude of reasons, primarily that he's lived in/played for/supported Leinster more or less his entire life.

Also, if I hear one more person refer to an interprovincial move as "the best deal for all parties" I'm going to explode with rage. In the vast majority of cases these aren't in Leinster's (or whoever the player is leaving) interest. Only people in Leinster with a genuine interest in Jack McGrath leaving
Again you're missing the point. His deal is up in May 2020. He doesn't want to drop from a national contract.

But as being seen now he is seen as the 3rd best. Like think about it if you had to give 1 of 20 contracts out would he be in that 20. In current scenario I'd say he wouldn't be in the top 30. Yes you can say that form is down to injury etc. But at same time this is a cut throat business and if he doesn't pick it up he will suffer.
Now his last contract negotiation was as a starting Lion and he got a big national contract. I'm sure the drop from that to a provincal deal is as I said substantial and well as I point out currently he is 3rd choice in his position for country.
I acknowledged that, I don't think leaving Leinster and giving up guaranteed knockout rugby helps. (He could be giving up European rugby if things go south up there) Right now, at this very instant he wouldn't get a national contract but that's not how negotiations work either and is probably more reason not to force a move north. He needs to be second choice for the RWC for any shot at a central contract and then he needs to be putting pressure on Healo, he basically needs to consistently elevate his form for the next 18 months, I don't understand how moving north in a turbulent RWC year where he won't get a pre season with them aids that at all, at all.

I acknowledged that, I don't think leaving Leinster and giving up guaranteed knockout rugby helps. (He could be giving up European rugby if things go south up there) Right now, at this very instant he wouldn't get a national contract but that's not how negotiations work either and is probably more reason not to force a move north. He needs to be second choice for the RWC for any shot at a central contract and then he needs to be putting pressure on Healo, he basically needs to consistently elevate his form for the next 18 months, I don't understand how moving north in a turbulent RWC year where he won't get a pre season with them aids that at all, at all.
Yes but you're missing my point. His contract will be sorted by next January. To really force his way in to getting a national contract he needs to show serious form in big games. Now in that window, He won't get a chance in the run in to this season. In the RWC he could be 3rd choice and potentially may miss out impressing. Then back in Europe he may or may not break in again but noone knows.
In that time also you could have an Ed Byrne or who ever really step up the pressure on him from playing games.
Compare it with if he goes to Ulster he will be a start player status for them. And they are improving so who knows. If he plays well and edges back in to #2 for country as LHP. Then come negotiations say "I'm huge part of Ulster, Healy is pushing on and I will carry this provincal game as a leading player in to green." There more bargaining power. It's that slightly longer term view.

Now he stays with Leinster he may get back in within the 12 months but he may not. The safer bet may be Ulster financially.

Yes but you're missing my point. His contract will be sorted by next January. To really force his way in to getting a national contract he needs to show serious form in big games. Now in that window, He won't get a chance in the run in to this season. In the RWC he could be 3rd choice and potentially may miss out impressing. Then back in Europe he may or may not break in again but noone knows.
In that time also you could have an Ed Byrne or who ever really step up the pressure on him from playing games.
Compare it with if he goes to Ulster he will be a start player status for them. And they are improving so who knows. If he plays well and edges back in to #2 for country as LHP. Then come negotiations say "I'm huge part of Ulster, Healy is pushing on and I will carry this provincal game as a leading player in to green." There more bargaining power. It's that slightly longer term view.

Now he stays with Leinster he may get back in within the 12 months but he may not. The safer bet may be Ulster financially.
I get what you're saying, it just doesn't make sense to me. What you've described is more or less betting everything on a three month period with an Ulster team that he's not familiar with.

I think it'd be bad for him to go, I don't know what else I can say.

I get what you're saying, it just doesn't make sense to me. What you've described is more or less betting everything on a three month period with an Ulster team that he's not familiar with.

I think it'd be bad for him to go, I don't know what else I can say.
More so he goes to Ulster he's guaranteed to be a starter and a higher classed leader in the squad. Would have more bargaining power come negotiations.

I can see why Jack McGrath wants to leave. Dave Kilcoyne getting in the Ireland squad ahead of him must be a kick up the arse. He's probably been told that it's due to Kilcoyne starting regularly in big European and Pro 14 games. For McGrath to get his spot back, he needs to start those games. Ulster would provide that opportunity. What's worth pointing out is that when Cian Healy lost his starting place, he worked his ass off to get it back. Is leaving taking the easy option?

Again, Leinster should be ****** off that their talent base is being eroded. That's Isa Nacewa, Jack McGrath, Joey Carbery and Jordi Murphy gone from the European Cup Final squad of last season. A potential positive side effect of it is that it clears to road a little for Ed Byrne and Peter Dooley. Byrne has been excellent this season and deservedly pushed ahead of McGrath in the Toulouse game.

I can see why Jack McGrath wants to leave. Dave Kilcoyne getting in the Ireland squad ahead of him must be a kick up the arse. He's probably been told that it's due to Kilcoyne starting regularly in big European and Pro 14 games. For McGrath to get his spot back, he needs to start those games. Ulster would provide that opportunity. What's worth pointing out is that when Cian Healy lost his starting place, he worked his ass off to get it back. Is leaving taking the easy option?

Again, Leinster should be ****** off that their talent base is being eroded. That's Isa Nacewa, Jack McGrath, Joey Carbery and Jordi Murphy gone from the European Cup Final squad of last season. A potential positive side effect of it is that it clears to road a little for Ed Byrne and Peter Dooley. Byrne has been excellent this season and deservedly pushed ahead of McGrath in the Toulouse game.
2 points on that Snoop though.
1 is as you point out it means guys like Byrne has a chance of pushing up the pecking order.
2. You say Healy stayed and worked his ass off. But he was close to going to Worcester wasn't it at 1 stage. Bit the issue here is contract earnings as well as pitch time.

Latest posts