• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

it absolutely should be part of the cap
Other than to dissuade mid-contract signings (and I hate those damned things) what's the logic behind calling it "part of the player's salary"?

How happy would you be with the logical sequella of the recipient club receiving an increase to their salary cap for that year?

Wouldn't like that either

Cap is meant to be an evener, shouldn't be able to just buy out contracts from other clubs because you can make an offer they can't refuse
Like we've got Asher on a three year contract atm, but cap wise he's probably not on a lot - Sarries or Bristol come along and throw us a few hundred K for him, they gain a massive prospect and harm an opposition club just because they've got the cash reserves to hoover up prospective talent

Obviously I'm coming at it from an idealogical angle rather than practical, but I feel like contracts should be contracts

Obviously I'm coming at it from an idealogical angle rather than practical, but I feel like contracts should be contracts
Oh, I absolutely agree there, and I've been pretty vociferous in opposition when Bath have indulged in work-arounds for the cap in terms of not respecting the spirit of a contract, even if the wording (from basically, the moment Bruce Craig took over, sending players out on season-long loans etc).

But I'm not sure I could convince myself that a transfer payment counts as "salary" - and after all, the salary cap is for players' salaries, not a club's expenditures.
Of course, I'd like to see an element of financial fair play introduced as well, but I'd imagine that would require unanimous support from PRL, which would never, ever happen.

Yeah quite a few DoRs have spoken out against

Might be making things up (again) but vaguely remember seeing 8/10 clubs don't want it
Yeah seems a bit mad as it ould put alot of stress on clubs at a time when stability is needed more than ever

Rumours young Guy Pepper has signed for Bath next season....have to say with Brantingham apparently off to Saracens and Pepper away that would be a blow.

So Kilgallen confirmed to us and that means Gallagher won't be coming. Rumours he going to Treviso now. Knox will leave us also likely to Bath is rumours here on ground.

So Kilgallen confirmed to us and that means Gallagher won't be coming. Rumours he going to Treviso now. Knox will leave us also likely to Bath is rumours here on ground.

Kilgallen has the ability all depends in the durability I suppose.

Knox whizz in someone's cornflakes ?

Apparently falcons have signed Gloucester winger Alex Hearl on a two year deal from the summer.

George McGuigan - to be released by glous
Quins want 500k for Andre
Will Addison in talks with Sale
Magnus Bradbury in talks with edinburgh
Sam James leaving Sale
Taint Basham in talks with sarries

George McGuigan - to be released by glous
We'll have him
Will Addison in talks with Sale
God knows we love a regularly injured player
Will is/was one of my favourite Sale players but unless he's incredibly cheap it's too big of a risk, really. He's played fewer games for Ulster than Joe Carpenter has for Sale - Carpenter made his Prem debut last season and Addison went to Ulster in 2018
Sam James leaving Sale
Will be very sad to see this, and do think some of the blame lies at Sanderson's door messing him about, regardless of form, so he can fit Ford and Du Preez in the same side even if it rarely (if ever) works. That said Axe did mention earlier in the season that SJ was considering a move abroad for the experience of living/playing in another country while it's still on the table (i.e. young enough to get a decent contract, and kid not school age yet)

Fair play to Sam James if that's what he wants. If I were in his shoes, I'd definitely fancy playing in the South of France or Italy.

Sadly,
What's your depth at hooker like? Could see him making the move over the sea if he thinks it's even a vague possibility of happening

He's about to turn 31 so is probably accepting that ship's sailed. Over the channel would be my guess.

Latest posts