• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

If Leinster don't make a move for Nagle I will be very pee'd off. I suppose the thinking is that if he goes out to Connacht he can head back to Munster in a few years when the likes of DOC and POC have a bit more mileage run up. If he goes to Leinster however he won't be going back south.

For all the hype about Ian Nagle, he's older than both Courtney Lawes and Richie Gray. He also has less starts for Munster than those two have for England and Scotland respectively. He's a talent but he's heading the same way as Donnacha Ryan- sticking around at Munster far too long when he could be starting elsewhere. Ryan is 28 now and it's only this season that he's making a Heineken Cup breakthrough. How many caps would Ryan have now had he backed himself and moved from Munster 3 or 4 years ago? I'd hazard a guess that he would have been Paul O'Connell's second row partner in the World Cup last year.

I'd hate to lose Rhys Ruddock but it would be a great move for Irish rugby. Ruddock, Peter O'Mahoney, David Wallace, Niall Ronan, Denis Leamy and James Coughlan would be an excellent backrow rotation for the turnips while Leinster would still have Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip, Kevin McLaughlin, Shane Jennings, Dominic Ryan and Leo Auva'a with players like Jordi Murphy, Jordan Coghlan, Conor Gilsenan and Dan Leavy (about to tear it up in the senior cup) the next generation primed to break through.

Agree with all the above. Munster have a pretty poor record of bring players through, especially in the pack. Some of the blame must rest on the players though. Nagle never should have signed that last contract knowing that he has at the very least 3 international locks ahead of him in the pecking order, possibly 4.

Untitled.png

Just read some rare news that Edinburgh might sign a player
http://rugby-transfers.blogspot.com/2012/01/edinburgh-to-sign-georgian-number-8.html

News of Edinburgh potentially signing players is rare, news of Edinburgh potentially signing a foreign player is even rarer. But according to La Dépêche Edinburgh have made an inquiry about signing Dimitri Basilaia from Valence d'Agen who play in Fédérale 1.
Basilaia was a key ball carrier for Georgia in the World Cup where he very much impressed and notably scored a try against England. His handling needs to improve but when he does have ball in hand he is a very effective ball carrier, and was bashing defenders about during the World Cup.

Basilaia has continued to win rave reviews playing for Valence d'Agen, who signed him before the World Cup, if they hadn't a much bigger team would have been interested.

The possibility that Edinburgh could sign a Georgian could stem from the fact that the current Edinburgh coach Michael Bradley served briefly on a advisory role to Georgian head coach Richie Dixon before the World Cup.

Basilaia would be a fantastic signing for Edinburgh, and despite being unknown to many fans Edinburgh may have found themselves a gem of a ball carrier. Basilaia would be the first Georgian to play in the RaboDirect Pro12. It has been common for Georgians to play professionally in France for some time, but now the rest of Europe beginning to look at Georgian talent. Gloucester and Saracens have both played Georgians in their A teams this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about Basilaia but Bradley has a very good eye for talent. For all his faults as a coach, Bradley loaded Connacht up with cheap, undervalued talent which was later plucked by Leinster, Munster and Ulster in particular. Paul Warwick, Brett Wilkinson, Steven Knoop, Jamie Hagan, James Downey, Dave Gannon, Ian Keatley, Sean Cronin, Fionn Carr, Mike McCarthy, Ray Ofisa, Bernard Jackman, Niva Ta'auso and plenty more had good careers having been spotted by Bradley. If Bradley thinks Basilaia is a good player, he's proably right.

Jack Tovey and Abendanon have both signed new contracts. So no moves to Saints :-(

I'd be laughing but he looks to have found a new lease of life in the Wolfhounds game.

I don't think he'll go. Not in a Lions year. Seems more likely to back himself to get back ahead of Murray (within his powers if playing to his form) and into contention.

Nothing 100% here but just got a text to say Tommy has agreed to play at Thomond Park next season.
Again only got text will wait until I hear from other sources who'd be better placed to confirm but according to source here an announcement will probably be made after weekends game.

Nothing 100% here but just got a text to say Tommy has agreed to play at Thomond Park next season.
Again only got text will wait until I hear from other sources who'd be better placed to confirm but according to source here an announcement will probably be made after weekends game.

Any news on other transfers or academy news?

On his way to Ulster guaranteed ;)

- Nick Mallet (Don't be surprised if he is a Red Hand next season) is a relation I hear and John Afoa is a very close friend of his.

Hmm. If you're right about this, I might forgive you if you happen to be right about Tommy as well.

Also, you're the first person I've seen to mention Mallet. Hmmm... maybe time to tell Mad Willie to work on his passing.

Hmm. If you're right about this, I might forgive you if you happen to be right about Tommy as well.

Also, you're the first person I've seen to mention Mallet. Hmmm... maybe time to tell Mad Willie to work on his passing.
It's an old rumour about Mallet and well I think Kirwan some relation too I not sure of family connections but I know for fact Afoa and Kaino are extremely close but (and I know this is crazy question) do Ulster actually need him like ye have a nice backrow

On his way to Ulster guaranteed ;)

- Nick Mallet (Don't be surprised if he is a Red Hand next season) is a relation I hear and John Afoa is a very close friend of his.

Toulon have 'apparently' been in contact with him.

It's an old rumour about Mallet and well I think Kirwan some relation too I not sure of family connections but I know for fact Afoa and Kaino are extremely close but (and I know this is crazy question) do Ulster actually need him like ye have a nice backrow

I can't say I'd ever seen the Mallet rumour before - as for Afoa and Kaino, everyone knows they're tight; Afoa wasn't available for Leicester as he was Kaino's best man. Don't know about Kirwan or Mallet, but I do know that Afoa has a cousin who's played over here.

This season our back-row depth has been too shallow. We need at least five high-class back-rows and next season, with the Wilson signing, we'll have that. Being a wee bit generous to Faloon there mind. However, Wannenberg's contract is expiring and he may well be off of his own free will, and even if he isn't Kaino would be an upgrade on him. His age counts against him by now, as we can no longer offer more than one year contracts. So... we need five, and we might as well make the fifth Kaino. Because Kaino and Ferris WILL FCUKING TERRIFY PEOPLE!

Seriously. Anyone who doesn't want to see Ferris and Kaino on the same team doesn't have a soul.

I can't say I'd ever seen the Mallet rumour before - as for Afoa and Kaino, everyone knows they're tight; Afoa wasn't available for Leicester as he was Kaino's best man. Don't know about Kirwan or Mallet, but I do know that Afoa has a cousin who's played over here.

This season our back-row depth has been too shallow. We need at least five high-class back-rows and next season, with the Wilson signing, we'll have that. Being a wee bit generous to Faloon there mind. However, Wannenberg's contract is expiring and he may well be off of his own free will, and even if he isn't Kaino would be an upgrade on him. His age counts against him by now, as we can no longer offer more than one year contracts. So... we need five, and we might as well make the fifth Kaino. Because Kaino and Ferris WILL FCUKING TERRIFY PEOPLE!

Seriously. Anyone who doesn't want to see Ferris and Kaino on the same team doesn't have a soul.

imagine that ferris wilson kaino
leinster eat your heart out!

imagine that ferris wilson kaino
leinster eat your heart out!

Lol, Wilson. Our backrow would be capable of going toe to toe with that, no worries. Anyway, Henry should play ahead of Wilson.

Latest posts