• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF 2024 Player of the Tournament

Who should be named player of the Tournament?

• Reffell

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Earl

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • Brex

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Lamaro

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Gibson Park

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Porter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aki

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Van Der Merve

• H Jones

• Other

• Total voters

TommiG88

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Apologies, tried to pick the players that came to mind. Weirdly I couldn't think of a French man that had played consistently well throughout the 6 nations.

Who would be your player of the Championship? I can add others

Beirne's been outstanding as usual for Ireland. Reffell has stood out in a poor Welsh side. Personally would give it to Earl though.

Pity Tuipolotu got injured as I thought he was Scotland's best player.

Between Brex and JGP for me. Menoncello and Garbisi worth a shout for making the list too.

Dirty Harry is livid that Costelow isn't on the list.

Last edited:
Ben Earl for me, most consistent impact across the tournament in all his areas.

Pity Tuipolotu got injured as I thought he was Scotland's best player.

Between Brex and JGP for me. Menoncello and Garbisi worth a shout for making the list too.

Dirty Harry is livid that Costelow isn't on the list.
Tui would have been on there if he wasn't injured. Was torn between Brex and Menoncello on the list

Gibson Park or Earl for me. Earl's last two games were outstanding but JGP has been an MOTM contender for all of Irelands wins and our best performer in Twickenham too.

Hard to separate the two but I'd probably give it to Earl after last weekend. Genuinely beat in the world level performance.

Earl has been absolutely immense at times and is the clear winner of this for me. The performance against Ireland was a true test against an Irish backrow that was too much for almost everyone to that point. If he continues the form I expect him as the Lions 8.

I went with Earl, but could easily have gone with Brex who I thought was immense throughout.

Earl has been immense for England but I actually voted for Brex because I think a significant amount of Italy's improvement this year is down to him. He ticks all the boxes you would want in a centre. Big tackler, good hands, good reader of the game and gets over the gainline virtually every time.

I think a significant amount of Italy's improvement this year is down to him.

I think that's the key point. The very best really influence the whole team performance.

Earl was individually outstanding but his efforts didn't noticeably lift the team in the first 2.75 matches. Maybe the individual performance of the tournament v Ire but that pen v Fra was costly.

From an English POV Martin had a truncated tournament but the team simply seems to have a different aura with him in it.

In fairness to me I was probably shouting a bit more about Earl earlier than some. I thought he was harshly treated earlier in his career (don't forget he's only been a regular for a few months) but equally reading some of the coverage now you'd think he was a Usain Bolt / Zinzan Brooke hybrid. He's been excellent but he'll now be a marked man. Let's see how he goes over the next year.

On the spur of the moment went with Earl but changed to Brexit on reflection.

Liked Gibson Park, some of his play almost gave me a semi...but not quite

I think that's the key point. The very best really influence the whole team performance.

Earl was individually outstanding but his efforts didn't noticeably lift the team in the first 2.75 matches. Maybe the individual performance of the tournament v Ire but that pen v Fra was costly.

From an English POV Martin had a truncated tournament but the team simply seems to have a different aura with him in it.

In fairness to me I was probably shouting a bit more about Earl earlier than some. I thought he was harshly treated earlier in his career (don't forget he's only been a regular for a few months) but equally reading some of the coverage now you'd think he was a Usain Bolt / Zinzan Brooke hybrid. He's been excellent but he'll now be a marked man. Let's see how he goes over the next year.
He had been standout since the WC build up, if teams/players hadn't spotted that before their games their analysis is poor he hasn't just started to do it this 6 nations.

I've gone Reffell, because to stand out amongst the other 22 players the way he did is quite something. And maybe I feel guilty about slightly enjoying the wooden spoon. #20132015neverforget

It's Earl though.

He had been standout since the WC build up, if teams/players hadn't spotted that before their games their analysis is poor he hasn't just started to do it this 6 nations.

Agreed. That's what I was meaning by a few months. Up to and including last year's 6N he was only peripheral.

My vote went to Brex although the argument for Reffell for going so well in such a poor team is pretty compelling too.

Gone Reffell cause he's Leicester man

But more seriously to tie the record of most turnovers in potentially one of the worst non Italy 6n sides ever, is extremely impressive

Second place would've gone Earl

I think the early rounds tend to get forgotten with these types of awards. Those who finish strongly tend to get mentioned more.

Did any of the contenders deliver five 8+/10 performances? I didn't watch every game but whenever I saw Reffell and Brex they were both excellent. Earl was outstanding against Ireland and France but less so v Scotland. Didn't see him v Italy or Wales.

I think the early rounds tend to get forgotten with these types of awards. Those who finish strongly tend to get mentioned more.

Did any of the contenders deliver five 8+/10 performances? I didn't watch every game but whenever I saw Reffell and Brex they were both excellent. Earl was outstanding against Ireland and France but less so v Scotland. Didn't see him v Italy or Wales.
I think Earl got motm against Wales. He was Englands standout player throughout in my opinion.

Latest posts