• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF 21 Patch

I've got 3 x teams I can add to the roster.
I don't have the capacity to add new players - as the roster is fairly full, so I might make them rep teams, such as the Lions, Northern & Southern hemisphere all star teams
containing existing players.

Great news - those three would be perfect for me. How did you manage to get the three additional teams working?

I've been playing around with the game and managed to make progress on three things (one of which you seem to have beaten me to it!)

1) I managed to get stars next to player name in menus - I added the ^ next to their name in Woosah editor and then (to fix the skin texture issue) I then set their skin colour to the correct one in Woosah at the same time as added the ^. I did the same thing for some player name edits e.g. adding hyphen to L.Rees-Zammit (Wales), adding space to Bernard La Roux (France) etc.

2) I had a play around with the 'be2970b0ada8e42cf891ce60ffe69575' file and read this on the forums (https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/adding-new-teams-to-rugby-08.17534/). I activated the lions, deleted the stringtableID bit for Lions, made the TeamName="The Lions", then transfered all the relevant files from peter's mod to new mod folder (used team file list to find which I needed) and then added in the players using Team edit in Woosahs editor. I've been play testing different game modes etc. and had no crashes so far (so I had 5 teams in the 'Representative' section - looks like you've managed more!)

3) I've edited a player face - all I did was find a existing face that was similar, export the .big file (including the .o face model and .fsh face textures), export the fsh to bmp, import to GIMP, edit the textures using a photograph then package back up in the big file, make sure the player is linked to that face using woosah and face file and all good. I've only done one face so far (Jonny May) and it isn't the best as I haven't edited the O file (had too many issues trying to get oedit working - downloaded a windows xp virtual machine and works w/o lag but then had issues getting the texture in). It does look more like May though (especially from distance) and is good enough so I'm going to see if I can improve it and try some other players (likely kickers as they get most screen time). Saw someone post about o tools which looks like you might be able to convert .o files to .obj and vice versa which would be amazing as I've made a few head models I'm really happy with in blender (Jonny May, Richie Mo'unga, etc.) as new .obj files which would look great if I can get them in the game and working. Going to focus on this.

Are there any aspects you need help with in particular? - pretty new to this but happy to learn

How do you find the face files? I saw the other post but I can't find a good tutorial on how to do faces for '08.

How do you find the face files? I saw the other post but I can't find a good tutorial on how to do faces for '08.

They are .big files which contain a .o file (head model) and .fsh file (texture).

In the folder I have for Woosaah Ruggby 08 Editor there is a faces XML file that you can open up in notepad and look through the list of player faces. The one I tested out editing was Chris Paterson's face

</Face>
<Face ID="24766">
<Name>Chris Paterson</Name>
<FileName>523a8437946f626aadaef130036f6ab7.big</FileName>
</Face>

I don't think the peter or ama1 mod have these files in there so I took the data.gob file in the original game files (in 'Rugby_08_Win_Files_EN\Game Files\Data') opened in bigGUI and exported out all those ~5000 files into a folder. Can do a quick tutorial once I figure out if there are any better ways where I can also edit the head shape not just the texture as it would make a big difference (just downloaded this OTools application). Will post some examples and a step-by-step of what I've managed to do so far maybe tomorrow.

Any rugby balls update? I see the 2007 rugby World Cup ball is in the patch

I have added the following teams to the patch..
All 3 teams are playable in Play Now Mode.

British & Irish Lions 2021
North Stars (Northern Hemisphere All Star Team)
South Stars (Southern Hemisphere All Star Team)

I tried a few kit mods (haven't done so, since I made the SANZAR mod back in 09), so I'd say they are basic - at best.

There is one slight error, in that the away minikits don't show for North & South Stars when on the right hand side. (Shows a blank white logo)

I'll look at fixing these, once I find out how to deactivate the away kits for all 3 new teams and fix the collars.
Link is in the first post.

I have added the following teams to the patch..
All 3 teams are playable in Play Now Mode.

British & Irish Lions 2021
North Stars (Northern Hemisphere All Star Team)
South Stars (Southern Hemisphere All Star Team)

I tried a few kit mods (haven't done so, since I made the SANZAR mod back in 09), so I'd say they are basic - at best.

There is one slight error, in that the away minikits don't show for North & South Stars when on the right hand side. (Shows a blank white logo)

I'll look at fixing these, once I find out how to deactivate the away kits for all 3 new teams and fix the collars.
Link is in the first post.
Can you make a separate link for small updates like this? Is it really necessary to download the entire patch again? Im just asking
Thanks

It isn't necessary, I just want to keep everything in one place - in case someone who downloads the mod for the first time comes across it and ends up with missing pieces here and there...but I hear what you're saying, I have to recompile it each time.

@ama1 i got error playing the World Cup. South Africa played home and Scotland away. I choosed Scotland away kit. I got this error:
File: Failed to open kit.fsh.

It isn't necessary, I just want to keep everything in one place - in case someone who downloads the mod for the first time comes across it and ends up with missing pieces here and there...but I hear what you're saying, I have to recompile it each time.
ive just downloaded the patch, but i cant find the lions, southern stars or nothern stars. Where can i find them?

ive just downloaded the patch, but i cant find the lions, southern stars or nothern stars. Where can i find them?
Have you used the profile and roster contained in the download? If so they are in the international section

When trying to use Cardiff in the most recent patch the game crashes when loading the match. Crash occurs whether they're home or away. Their home ground works with other teams.

The Cardiff error has been fixed now and re-uploaded. The error was Rhys Carre.

Hmm you're right that Carre is the problem, just tried to re-download but it's still crashing when he's selected in the starting line-up.

Hmm you're right that Carre is the problem, just tried to re-download but it's still crashing when he's selected in the starting line-up.
Are you using the new roster? I've added another Carre in his place using an unassigned player.

Ah I forgot that bit. All working now. What you use to edit the main roster rdf file?

I'm fairly new to this but will have a go - as I understand it (from ama1's post) the game expects a total maximum on 71 teams in the following sections: 23 international teams, 30 European club teams, 14 super rugby teams and 4 'representative' teams. More than this and the game starts to consistently crash.

This version of the mod has the following teams/leagues:
  • All 12 Gallagher premiership teams (although Saracens are currently in Championship due to salary breaches and Newcastle is missing from the list - next season there will be 13 prem teams, Saracens/Cornish Pirates/Ealing Trailfinders most likely to go up) - all 12 are found in 'European' section
  • All 12 Pro12 teams (although there will be 16 teams next season with addition of 4 SA super rugby teams)- 11 are found in 'European' section and 1 Connacht is found in 'Representative' section
  • 12 out of 14 Top14 French league teams- the missing ones are Bayonne and Agen (Agen and Castres were last in pro14, Perpignan and Vannes were first in d12) - of these 12 there are 7 in 'European' section, 3 in 'International' section and 2 in 'Representative' section
  • All 5 NZ super rugby teams - all in 'super 14' section
  • All 5 AUS super rugby teams (incl. Western force) - 4 in 'super 14' section, Western force in 'representative' section
  • All 4 SA super rugby teams - all in 'super 14' section (these four will be moving to Pro12/pro16 next season)
  • Cheetahs - in 'super 14' section (were playing in pro14 along with Southern Kings but both removed this year and will be replaced by Bulls/Lions/Stormers/Sharks next year)
  • 20 international teams - pretty much 20 best international teams, the other 3 spots are taken up by the three French clubs Pau, La Rochelle and Lyon (as no space for them in the 30 European club spots)
So as you can see fairly comprehensive list and sticks to the above mentioned 71 team limit (+section specific team limits)

In terms of missing national teams the mains one for me would be:
  • Russia - probably best international team not on the current mod (Georgia, Romania and Russia likely qualify to Europe 1/2/3 spots for RWC23) (in Peter83 version)
  • Hong Kong - Japan qualified so next best in Asia, has a chance to qualify for RWC if beats Samoa/Tonga (big if!)
  • Spain/Portugal/Netherlands/Brazil/Belgium/Germany etc. - sort of best of the rest, don't know much about... (watched a couple of match highlights on 'Rugby Europe' YouTube channel, production values are not the best but it's something) (some of these in Peter83 version)
In terms of missing representative/special teams:
  • British and Irish Lions - would be the key one for me, best quality team that is missing from mod (in Peter83 version)
  • Barbarians - unique team, secondary one for me (in Peter83 version)
  • Māori All Blacks - again pretty unique team (in Peter83 version)
  • World Rugby XV - would love this
  • Northern Hemisphere XV - same
  • Southern Hemisphere XV - same
  • North Island - historic team played again in 2020, great match
  • South Island - same
  • few others such as French barbarians etc.
In terms of missing clubs from the main leagues:
  • Newcastle - current Gallagher prem team (in Peter83 version)
  • Bayonne - current top14 team (in Peter83 version)
  • Agen - current top14 team (no promotion/relegation so again next year) (in Peter83 version)
  • Fiji Drua - potentially in super rugby next year (in Peter83 version)
  • Moana Pasifika - potentially in super rugby next year (in Peter83 version)
  • Sunwolves and Jaguars no longer have funding (slightly worried for Argentinian rugby, big exodus)
In terms of main missing leagues/competitions:
  • Lions Tour (to SA maybe...)
  • Rugby Championship (SANZAAR) - sort of in there already (Tri nations) but no Argentina
  • Japan Top League (JAP) - needs another 16 teams (@Sromero above is working on this and MLR, see few posts above)
  • Major League Rugby (USA) - needs another 12 teams (@Sromero above is working on this and Top league, see few posts above)
  • Mitre 10 (NZ) - needs another 14 teams
  • Currie Cup (SA) - needs another 7 teams
  • National Rugby Championship (AUS) - needs another 8 teams
Basically, as I understand it, to add any of these to the game not only do you have to do the work with the roster, kits, logo etc. but you have to cull a team from one of the current 71 teams available. I'm not sure how to change teams about at the moment so will be sticking with current list for now as its covers vast majority of what I want.

Note the version of the mod by Peter83 has more teams including the British and Irish Lions but has a lot of crashing issues so I'm using ama1's version as it is much more stable despite not having quite as many teams.

By the way none of the work on the mod was by me so just summarising what I understand is and is not in there right now

If I had to do it with these limits and sections I might go:
  • International (x23) - top 20 international teams qualifying to RWC23 + British and Irish Lions + Barbarians + World Rugby XV/Māori All Blacks
  • European (x30) - 12 prem (same as current w/o Newcastle), 8 of the pro12, 10 top14 (w/o Agen, Bayonne, Castres and Pau/Brive)
  • Super 14 (14) - 5 NZ, 5 AUS, 4 SA (w/o Cheetahs)
  • Representative (x4) - the other four pro12 teams (maybe the 4 Irish teams)
Not easy...

On stars I'm not sure how to directly tell who has a star other than go in to a game and I don't know how to assign star players with the specific abilities but I know you can list the star next to a players name but editing their name in Woosahs rugby editor (see other threads) and adding a ^ symbol to the right hand side (e.g. Johnny Sexton^) - not sure if there is a reason why this is not there (i.e. not sure if doing this mucks up anything in t
friend, my patch is not ready to play the world league. but if you can play the different tournaments in the world to date. it is in each one to choose to download the patch that they want.

Yes, the Premiership and Super Rugby are the next things I want to fix.
The goal is a mod that is both accurate and stable.

At the moment, I've been sidetracked with trying to decrypt the motion capture animations from the game.
I want to mod them to de-power the dive tackle, change the box kicks to an up & under type motion, remove the lineout throw 'arm flinch', etc..etc.
Maybe even add a few new ones, such as corner dives, different offloads, tackles, high kick contests..

I believe they are stored/ indexed in files 4bff1461263dfe7d59a840cbfd8520aa.big and 3d165fb41c2c78420bec94c946be45d8.bin.
Any luck/progress with this? It's sound so groundbreaking

And i also can't play the Lions Tour because i don't have the Lions squad
The British & Irish Lions unlike NZ Maori, are already added within Rugby08 as their Team Files are located within the data.gob, you will need to enable them using the be29xx.xml file & dc371xxx.english file. There is already a thread for this on the forum.

I'm fairly new to this but will have a go - as I understand it (from ama1's post) the game expects a total maximum on 71 teams in the following sections: 23 international teams, 30 European club teams, 14 super rugby teams and 4 'representative' teams. More than this and the game starts to consistently crash.

This version of the mod has the following teams/leagues:
  • All 12 Gallagher premiership teams (although Saracens are currently in Championship due to salary breaches and Newcastle is missing from the list - next season there will be 13 prem teams, Saracens/Cornish Pirates/Ealing Trailfinders most likely to go up) - all 12 are found in 'European' section
  • All 12 Pro12 teams (although there will be 16 teams next season with addition of 4 SA super rugby teams)- 11 are found in 'European' section and 1 Connacht is found in 'Representative' section
  • 12 out of 14 Top14 French league teams- the missing ones are Bayonne and Agen (Agen and Castres were last in pro14, Perpignan and Vannes were first in d12) - of these 12 there are 7 in 'European' section, 3 in 'International' section and 2 in 'Representative' section
  • All 5 NZ super rugby teams - all in 'super 14' section
  • All 5 AUS super rugby teams (incl. Western force) - 4 in 'super 14' section, Western force in 'representative' section
  • All 4 SA super rugby teams - all in 'super 14' section (these four will be moving to Pro12/pro16 next season)
  • Cheetahs - in 'super 14' section (were playing in pro14 along with Southern Kings but both removed this year and will be replaced by Bulls/Lions/Stormers/Sharks next year)
  • 20 international teams - pretty much 20 best international teams, the other 3 spots are taken up by the three French clubs Pau, La Rochelle and Lyon (as no space for them in the 30 European club spots)
So as you can see fairly comprehensive list and sticks to the above mentioned 71 team limit (+section specific team limits)

In terms of missing national teams the mains one for me would be:
  • Russia - probably best international team not on the current mod (Georgia, Romania and Russia likely qualify to Europe 1/2/3 spots for RWC23) (in Peter83 version)
  • Hong Kong - Japan qualified so next best in Asia, has a chance to qualify for RWC if beats Samoa/Tonga (big if!)
  • Spain/Portugal/Netherlands/Brazil/Belgium/Germany etc. - sort of best of the rest, don't know much about... (watched a couple of match highlights on 'Rugby Europe' YouTube channel, production values are not the best but it's something) (some of these in Peter83 version)
In terms of missing representative/special teams:
  • British and Irish Lions - would be the key one for me, best quality team that is missing from mod (in Peter83 version)
  • Barbarians - unique team, secondary one for me (in Peter83 version)
  • Māori All Blacks - again pretty unique team (in Peter83 version)
  • World Rugby XV - would love this
  • Northern Hemisphere XV - same
  • Southern Hemisphere XV - same
  • North Island - historic team played again in 2020, great match
  • South Island - same
  • few others such as French barbarians etc.
In terms of missing clubs from the main leagues:
  • Newcastle - current Gallagher prem team (in Peter83 version)
  • Bayonne - current top14 team (in Peter83 version)
  • Agen - current top14 team (no promotion/relegation so again next year) (in Peter83 version)
  • Fiji Drua - potentially in super rugby next year (in Peter83 version)
  • Moana Pasifika - potentially in super rugby next year (in Peter83 version)
  • Sunwolves and Jaguars no longer have funding (slightly worried for Argentinian rugby, big exodus)
In terms of main missing leagues/competitions:
  • Rugby Championship (SANZAAR) - sort of in there already (Tri nations) but no Argentina
  • Japan Top League (JAP) - needs another 16 teams (@Sromero above is working on this and MLR, see few posts above)
  • Major League Rugby (USA) - needs another 12 teams (@Sromero above is working on this and Top league, see few posts above)
  • Mitre 10 (NZ) - needs another 14 teams
  • Currie Cup (SA) - needs another 7 teams
  • National Rugby Championship (AUS) - needs another 8 teams
Basically, as I understand it, to add any of these to the game not only do you have to do the work with the roster, kits, logo etc. but you have to cull a team from one of the current 71 teams available. I'm not sure how to change teams about at the moment so will be sticking with current list for now as its covers vast majority of what I want.

Note the version of the mod by Peter83 has more teams including the British and Irish Lions but has a lot of crashing issues so I'm using ama1's version as it is much more stable despite not having quite as many teams.

By the way none of the work on the mod was by me so just summarising what I understand is and is not in there right now

If I had to do it with these limits and sections I might go:
  • International (x23) - top 20 international teams qualifying to RWC23 + British and Irish Lions + Barbarians + World Rugby XV/Māori All Blacks
  • European (x30) - 12 prem (same as current w/o Newcastle), 8 of the pro12, 10 top14 (w/o Agen, Bayonne, Castres and Pau/Brive)
  • Super 14 (14) - 5 NZ, 5 AUS, 4 SA (w/o Cheetahs)
  • Representative (x4) - the other four pro12 teams (maybe the 4 Irish teams)
Not easy...

On stars I'm not sure how to directly tell who has a star other than go in to a game and I don't know how to assign star players with the specific abilities but I know you can list the star next to a players name but editing their name in Woosahs rugby editor (see other threads) and adding a ^ symbol to the right hand side (e.g. Johnny Sexton^) - not sure if there is a reason why this is not there (i.e. not sure if doing this mucks up anything in the game)
I firstly would like to apologize to Petey83, because after reviewing later patches it's stated specifically within the description that future updates would be minor updates to previous patches with the roster relatively remaining the same.

With your suggestion, the only issue I see with this is if we review the teams from MUP17 & assess the teams you're wanting to add, the Sunwolves & Kings can easily be replaced, as well as the minor adjustments to the European roster, however, I can't help but the question the need to have the following teams, considering many don't have existing kits & have been known to crash the game previously?
  • World Rugby XV
  • Northern Hemisphere XV
  • Southern Hemisphere XV
  • North Island
  • South Island
  • Agen
  • Fiji Drua
Moana Pasfika, should replace the Pacific Islanders (Petey83, if you can help me out with my logo issue that would be most appreciated) as they will be in Super Rugby next year.

I think the NZ Maori should be added into the game & replace either the Sunwolves or Kings.
Australia A should be replaced with The Rebels as they're both Australian Teams.

Tournaments
    The Lions Tour is already can already be added into Rugby08, which has the options of three included tours (AU, RSA & NZ)

The Rugby Championship, was first made available within MUP13, however the menu's would be need to be updated.
    Unfortunately, this was created using a Tournament Editor for Cricket 2008 & using the Six Nations.
    The Tournament Graphics are better than what we currently have, but the issue lies within the main tournament menu.

• Mitre 10 (NZ)
  • Currie Cup (SA)
  • National Rugby Championship (AUS)

This would involve creating separate patches with the sole purpose of playing just the above tournaments...

• Why is your patch size so small? What make it different to peter83 patch? Is graphics up to date?
    The differences between ama's patch & petey83's, is ama's has an updated roster & several modified configuration files which enhance or alter the behavior of the AI. The patch size is actually the same when compared to previous patches & has support for World League.
Can you make a separate link for small updates like this? Is it really necessary to download the entire patch again? Im just asking
Thanks
I rather ama, keep all these updates that are helpful for people such as myself in the one place rather than have separate threads for each subsequent update
Great news - those three would be perfect for me. How did you manage to get the three additional teams working?

I've been playing around with the game and managed to make progress on three things (one of which you seem to have beaten me to it!)

1) I managed to get stars next to player name in menus - I added the ^ next to their name in Woosah editor and then (to fix the skin texture issue) I then set their skin colour to the correct one in Woosah at the same time as added the ^. I did the same thing for some player name edits e.g. adding hyphen to L.Rees-Zammit (Wales), adding space to Bernard La Roux (France) etc.

2) I had a play around with the 'be2970b0ada8e42cf891ce60ffe69575' file and read this on the forums (https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/adding-new-teams-to-rugby-08.17534/). I activated the lions, deleted the stringtableID bit for Lions, made the TeamName="The Lions", then transfered all the relevant files from peter's mod to new mod folder (used team file list to find which I needed) and then added in the players using Team edit in Woosahs editor. I've been play testing different game modes etc. and had no crashes so far (so I had 5 teams in the 'Representative' section - looks like you've managed more!)

3) I've edited a player face - all I did was find a existing face that was similar, export the .big file (including the .o face model and .fsh face textures), export the fsh to bmp, import to GIMP, edit the textures using a photograph then package back up in the big file, make sure the player is linked to that face using woosah and face file and all good. I've only done one face so far (Jonny May) and it isn't the best as I haven't edited the O file (had too many issues trying to get oedit working - downloaded a windows xp virtual machine and works w/o lag but then had issues getting the texture in). It does look more like May though (especially from distance) and is good enough so I'm going to see if I can improve it and try some other players (likely kickers as they get most screen time). Saw someone post about o tools which looks like you might be able to convert .o files to .obj and vice versa which would be amazing as I've made a few head models I'm really happy with in blender (Jonny May, Richie Mo'unga, etc.) as new .obj files which would look great if I can get them in the game and working. Going to focus on this.

Are there any aspects you need help with in particular? - pretty new to this but happy to learn
If you would like more sample CyberFaces, I have the complete list of Xuxky CyberFaces & MRC Faces; they made individual CyberFaces for every player within the default game. If you would like further help with adding teams, feel free to message me

Latest posts