• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF newcomers shouldnt be allowed to post threads IMO.

Here are a couple of my thoughts, for what they are worth.

1. IMO those who take a responsible view of TRF should pay to be a Season Ticket holder. Its cheap enough. In my experience, the best message boards are the ones that moderate themselves, and TRF is one of those; it certainly better at it than PR!! To assist with that, I see the STHs taking up a role as intermediaries between the Admins & Mods and the General Membership. I would like to see them bring the sort of thing that Sam is talking about onto the season ticket forum for discussion. If we get one-post/one thread WUMs and trolls arriving just to indulge in muck raking, the STHs can discuss it away from the prying eye of the idiot concerned, and ask the admins to remove the offending post/thread if that is the consensus.
    _____
  2. Another possibility is to have a system that requires the first post of any new user to be approved before it "goes to air", that way if the first post is a wind-up, the Mods and Admins can knock it on the head before anyone gets to see it. If you have a problem with Admin/Mod workload with the number of new members joining, you could consider giving the STH's very limited moderator rights that would only allow them to approve/reject a new members first post. I'm not sure if this is technically possible with vBulletin. I know that with PHPBBv3 you can give any member individual tools to do certain moderation tasks without actually making them a member of the moderation group. It is done by creating a "Role", and assigning that "Role" to a group; in this case STH's

Anyway, that's what I think. Just me thinking out loud really.

1. IMO those who take a responsible view of TRF should pay to be a Season Ticket holder. Its cheap enough. In my experience, the best message boards are the ones that moderate themselves, and TRF is one of those; it certainly better at it than PR!! To assist with that, I see the STHs taking up a role as intermediaries between the Admins & Mods and the General Membership. I would like to see them bring the sort of thing that Sam is talking about onto the season ticket forum for discussion. If we get one-post/one thread WUMs and trolls arriving just to indulge in muck raking, the STHs can discuss it away from the prying eye of the idiot concerned, and ask the admins to remove the offending post/thread if that is the consensus.
    _____
  2. Another possibility is to have a system that requires the first post of any new user to be approved before it "goes to air", that way if the first post is a wind-up, the Mods and Admins can knock it on the head before anyone gets to see it. If you have a problem with Admin/Mod workload with the number of new members joining, you could consider giving the STH's very limited moderator rights that would only allow them to approve/reject a new members first post. I'm not sure if this is technically possible with vBulletin. I know that with PHPBBv3 you can give any member individual tools to do certain moderation tasks without actually making them a member of the moderation group. It is done by creating a "Role", and assigning that "Role" to a group; in this case STH's

There's (as always) some good food for thought in there Cooky. It definitely has some merits worth discussing for sure. I'm likely to be in touch with you and some other members about something related to this and also the World Cup within the next 24-48 (when I get some more time). :)

I can see why this is being discussed but it definitely has big drawbacks. Even if you get a load of crap posted by new members, surely the founding principle of a forum is inclusion and openness. It would be really bad if future 1000+ posters are discouraged from starting up properly just because they can't fully participate at the early stagesand ask questions they want to etc. Ultimately, you really don't want any forum becoming too exclusive with new people feeling that they can't talk about the things they want to talk about(i.e by starting their own threads).

I dunno,maybe some sort of 'endorsement' system for threads whereby if there area certain number of negative endorsements by members the thread will automatically be deleted? Suppose that takes some responsbility off the hands of the Mods whilst not committing normal members to being quasi-Moderators themselves

I can see why this is being discussed but it definitely has big drawbacks. Even if you get a load of crap posted by new members, surely the founding principle of a forum is inclusion and openness. It would be really bad if future 1000+ posters are discouraged from starting up properly just because they can't fully participate at the early stagesand ask questions they want to etc. Ultimately, you really don't want any forum becoming too exclusive with new people feeling that they can't talk about the things they want to talk about(i.e by starting their own threads).

I dunno,maybe some sort of 'endorsement' system for threads whereby if there area certain number of negative endorsements by members the thread will automatically be deleted? Suppose that takes some responsbility off the hands of the Mods whilst not committing normal members to being quasi-Moderators themselves

It's good to see so many people at least trying to approach this rationally and realise that we as a bunch of mods are not going into some kind knee-jerk reaction. All of this input is valuable to us for ideas on how both we can do things in the future and how our membership feels. We're just trying to take this stuff on board.

Believe me though, all of the moderating team are aware that a great discussion can be brought forward by even the newest members. It's just that at this time, with the World Cup and two games going on, we're getting a lot of new posters and this was always going to be a mixed blessing. :)

Maybe we should ban anyone with less than 20 posts from creating a thread in the Rugby2012 forums? This way newbs can't start threads to vent about how bad they think the game is, and it doesn't stop those genuinely seeking rugby help from doing so in the rugby galactica section.

Are there any valid first post threads in the rugby2012 section? Seems to me like 99% of all new threads from new members there are spam.

_____

Good ideas although the second will need to appoint more people to have the power to reject said posts.

1. Another possibility is to have a system that requires the first post of any new user to be approved before it "goes to air", that way if the first post is a wind-up, the Mods and Admins can knock it on the head before anyone gets to see it. If you have a problem with Admin/Mod workload with the number of new members joining, you could consider giving the STH's very limited moderator rights that would only allow them to approve/reject a new members first post.
good idea

I have created and spent time merging threads in the RWC'11 Game section, but its difficult. I am in agreement that something needs to be done to sort out the gaming noobs who are spoiling this forum.

why do you bother? by the time you would probably be about five new threads by some loser who knows nothing about the real sport saying their "disappointment" or it's the "same as Rugby 08", or that they "won a match on the game 35-14 as Ireland", which nobody cares about

an idea I have is a "junk section" where all stupid posts/threads were moved to by a moderator

the only bad thing that could happen though is that the moderator could just move stuff they don't agree with, but I think most of the moderators wouldn't do that

I'm eagerly awaiting the confirmation that the mods have decided to implement the IQ system I proposed.

Its the only option available lads. Either that, or make everyone mods and we can all spend the days deleting and editing eachothers posts. It'll be like that stupid google wave thing last year.

We are still thinking on a method, some good suggestions some not so good suggestions... But they are all valid

Something else that you could do is what we do on the Rugbyrefs forum.

New members are given an "L" plate as an avatar and cannot change it until they move into the Registered Members group. This makes it immediately obvious to everyone there is a NKOTB.

refsprofile.png

New Members have to make 10 posts before they lose the L Plate, unless they are moved into the Registered Members group before that by an Admin

(We a have a "Referees only" section, and you cannot get into unless you can show that you are a bona fide Referees Society/Association member)

Yeah, that was a spambot, not an actual person - just a piece of code that finds forums related to certain keywords and then spams links on there

Will it be a good thing when the forum gets a massive fine?

No, of course not but that just goes back to what I was saying about newcomers allowed to post threads. As long as the newcomers can, then TRF is liable, thanks to this new info about TRF getting a massive fine. I honestly didnt know about the fine but that just further accomodates my proposal.

dont-tell-anyone-but-i-am-a-noob-thumb.jpg

;)

(Editors note : that is not me in the picture)

Last edited:
Interesting reading. Although I consider myself a newcomer, I was very worried to see new posters set up threads offering tickets.

Not that older posters are more reliant or that these new posters are dodgy and maybe it's just a normal reaction. But something to be careful of.

Isn't that why you have moderators?? So they can mod the forum and delete whatever crap is being posted??.

Isn't that why you have moderators?? So they can mod the forum and delete whatever crap is being posted??.

With the RWC and the Game coming out there have been loads of new topics with the majority asking questions or raising points that are either a) already asked or b) trolls ( a.k.a Jaws. From having modded a forum elsewhere its tough to remove and merge the crap/spam that's what I see the situ being.

Latest posts