• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Staff get hands on with Rugby World Cup 2011

How to stump a PR person:

Me: "So, you'll let me take a copy home tonight?!"

I could see the wit cogs grinding before politely being told to bog off! :lol:

The only two I remember seeing close up were John Smit and Bryan Habana (at a lineout and after a try, respectively) and they both looked very good

Actually, I remember Morne Steyn as well, his was alright, not as recognisable as Smit/Habana though (though having said that I wouldn't recognise Steyn as well as Smit/Habana anyway, so it might be better than I remember and I just don't remember what Steyns face looks like :p )

who are the guys in this photo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cymro on the left, me on the right
Just after I'd scored a cracking try with Joe Ansbro to bring the scores to 12 - 5 (to Wales, unfortuantley :p )

Was Pierre Spies in the SA squad ? :)
I couldn't tell you - I didn't play as SA, so didn't have a look through the squad list for subs etc. though I'd be surprised if he wasn't

Hmm sounds exactly like 08 with minor tweaks to me

Ollys play by play seemed to solidify my original thoughts how this was gonna turn out.. a slightly improved HD version of 08. Ill probably still buy it but maybe when its cheaper in price.

I dunno, they may be "minor tweaks" but the affect the way the game plays/feels in a major way

Though playing the demo will give the best idea of whether you like it or not, more so than any review you can read - give a few games and then go back to 08, you'll notice the difference
It's a shame that the demo will be on easy though, as it won't show off the improved AI as much (I think? I didn't play the AI on easy, just medium and hard, so that's just a guess)

Olly I actually agree with you on RC's passing mechanic being a bit weird.. I was firmly on the RC bandwagon until I saw the Irish gameplay video. Looked a bit hectic. From what you guys have said about RWC in terms of everything just being a bit more in depth (e.g. rucks) that sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to giving the demo a crack.

Is there any new tackle animations or they all just the same from 08. Also Hows the crowd sound on the game?

the crowd wastaken at Twickenham with England and Australia so i bet it's pretty good :)

Crowd sounds great - as above, was recorded at Twickenham, so has them singing Swing Low in when England does something good :p
and the crowd reacts well to the game as well, getting louder as you get closer to the line etc.

Think there's one or two new tackle animations, but mostly the same - they work better though, look more like an actual collision than just an animation of a tackle

Tackle breaking is still the same though, and unfortunately doesn't look great

I also tried out the new defence method where you hold down "LB" (on a 360 remote) to go into the strafe mode (not sure what it's called?)
Very useful for defending in the 22 as you can properly line up the guy you want to tackle, rather than in 08 where you had to guess and would often miss the tackle

Last edited:
What sort of tries did you managed to score? And what sort of tries did the AI manage to score against you? What do you think was the most improved aspect when playing again the AI.

It does, however it's much much much rarer than before
I think I saw it happen once in the game, and that was where there was a scrum 5 (defending) and the flyhalf was standing too shallow (the "In the Pocket" set piece wasn't used) and he got tackled and knocked it on

I think also one time a grubber kick got knocked on as the player got tackled form behind mid kick
Certainly not as bad as in previous incarnations
Chip kick helps as well, as the kicking is sped up a lot for that (I really can't emphasise enough how happy I was to have the chip kick in there, and to have it work well!)

I just remembered the only near-try I got in the loss against GetOfMeLand was using a chip kick - was just outside my 22m, chipped (and collected) with my fullback, ran down the wing but got ankle tapped about 5cm from the line and then got turned over :lol:

What sort of tries did you managed to score? And what sort of tries did the AI manage to score against you? What do you think was the most improved aspect when playing again the AI.
It really was a mixed bunch
We had breakaway tries, chips, forward drives
My favourite was a scrumhalf dart when camped on the tryline (got one or two from that) - Teh Mite got a good try with SOB running a great line through the defence

The AI score all manner of tries too - I saw a crossfield kick put in by Fiji which resulted in a try
It's hard to pinpoit an aspect of the AI I felt was much improved - the whole feeling of the AI was much better - as in the case of the try above, they react to the how your team is, choosing to go for the crossfield rather than just running it into the defence

Last edited:
I have blown too many tries knocking it on. (and pressing X too early and kicking the ball dead when I first started playing...)
Looking forward to the demo, and of course the actual game.

IS it good to run with a powerful forward, Like do larger people shrug more tackles?. Also any gameplay coming soon, I'm more excited about this game than RC. Just send me a video hahahah

Latest posts