• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Staff get hands on with Rugby World Cup 2011

No worries, I know I'd want to know as much as I could if I hadn't been given the opportunity to play it so though I'd share the wealth, so to speak :p
If anyone has any more questions put them up and I (or one of the other staff who played it) will answer in the morning!

No worries, I know I'd want to know as much as I could if I hadn't been given the opportunity to play it so though I'd share the wealth, so to speak :p
If anyone has any more questions put them up and I (or one of the other staff who played it) will answer in the morning!

I'm curious, what was Canada's rating?

thanks for all the info guys. game sounds very promising and dare I say perhaps better than some were thinking. loved all the pictures on twitter, was pretty cool seeing trf get mentioned in the credits.

thanks for all the info guys. game sounds very promising and dare I say perhaps better than some were thinking. loved all the pictures on twitter, was pretty cool seeing trf get mentioned in the credits.

I fully expect some people will pan it before they can fully appreceate just how deep the gameplay is. I think we barely scratched the surface of what is possible last night.

Last edited:
In o8 in a 2 player game in end to end view the camera use to swing around to the back of the team who turned the ball over.Is it the same in rwc 2011?

In o8 in a 2 player game in end to end view the camera use to swing around to the back of the team who turned the ball over.Is it the same in rwc 2011?

If you select it. We never played end view multiplayer, but it definately had the "attacking team plays" camera mode.

Another thing I can note: The quick pick up / Quick Steal feature is really cool.

Offloads however - They're not so good. In fact they're ruddy awful.

If you select it. We never played end view multiplayer, but it definately had the "attacking team plays" camera mode.

Another thing I can note: The quick pick up / Quick Steal feature is really cool.

Offloads however - They're not so good. In fact they're ruddy awful.

In your views do you reckon RWC 2011 is worth buying at a full price with such limited game modes/ features. In my eyes it doesn't look as good as RC which has lots of things to do. As people are saying it's Rugby 08.5 (you've said segments of this being the case)

Is it really worth the full price tag compared to RC?

In your views do you reckon RWC 2011 is worth buying at a full price with such limited game modes/ features. In my eyes it doesn't look as good as RC which has lots of things to do. As people are saying it's Rugby 08.5 (you've said segments of this being the case)

Not sure how anyone could answer that without actually playing RC. If RC plays as well or better than WCR then it would be a yes, but if it plays like a pile of tosh, then all the features and teams in the world won't make up for it

Not sure how anyone could answer that without actually playing RC. If RC plays as well or better than WCR then it would be a yes, but if it plays like a pile of tosh, then all the features and teams in the world won't make up for it

Some people have played it and there's vids of people playing it. I believe one of the TRF staff who got to play RWC yesterday gets to play RC today. This will be interesting, hopefully a honest comparison coming up.

so what happens if henson is in the 30 man squad?

Well basically your world cup is f*cked if that happens!
:D
That clown shouldnt be allowed lace up his boots in wales again after the way he treated his club and acted with his welsh team mates in the past.

If gatland has to resort to that moron you know wales are in deep trouble.

Worth noting that our teams ratings differed by 30+ points :p

It was good to see (though horribly frustrating) that team ratings really do effect things, and it's not by chance

For example, in 08 you'd do about 3 pick and drives and you'd get turned over - whereas GetofmeLand picked and drove for 50+ metres before getting a try :lol:
I also lost every single scrum (mine and his feed)

Whilst its good to hear that team ratings do actual represent a difference between the teams, how is this manifested? Is it a case of simply all stats for a Tier 2 nation player being 10% lower then that of a Tier 1 nation player. Or is it more subtle then that, where, as in the real game, a Tier 2 nation player may be similar to a Tier 1 nation in some regards (size, strength, pace, acceleration etc) the major difference would be seen in some of their technical ability or training (lower passing & handling ratings, poorer ruck ability, lower stamina/fitness ratings, poorer discipline as examples)

Basically, is a team like Namibia a complete pile of slow donkeys, 10-20% worse across the board then say Scotland, or are they well matched in some aspects but significantly worse in others?

Regarding the losing every scrum piece, your own and on his feed, did you also see this happen against the AI on the harder difficulties aswell? Is it still a contest, albeit weighted to the better nation? What if the two teams were evenly rated, would the player controlled team still lose the vast majority of scrums when on the harder AI?
Part of the problems for me in past versions was this thing where on Elite difficulty you would never opt for a scrum or fear having one, even with your own feed, as the game was programmed to just keep the ball from you, even if you were playing as Eng up against an AI controlled Samoa (just an example).

Well basically your world cup is f*cked if that happens!
:D
That clown shouldnt be allowed lace up his boots in wales again after the way he treated his club and acted with his welsh team mates in the past.

If gatland has to resort to that moron you know wales are in deep trouble.

True True, but think of the possibilities with the tan and boots in HD ;) hahaha

Good to hear that likenesses are fairly good :D D Seems that England have had preferencial treatment, rightfully so i guess.

When you guys mentioned that Shane came off for north, was it Shane's likeness that you needed the name to recognize or North's?? Just curious :p Also as much as i love him, I hope Shane isn't able to run rings round every player on the pitch, well fun to **** off uni mates but a tad easy to do :p (although he is a god and does it week in week out even if his form is iffy!)

I agree on paper rc sounds very good when you compare the modes to rwc. the one big thing though that still remains a question with rc is just how good is the ai if it's rubbish then all of these modes won't be really worth playing except for the sake of it. Granted you could still say the same about rwc since nobody has played extensively for weeks and weeks yet but so far from what the guys that played it from here that said that the ai is a real challenge this time on the harder difficulties. I'm hoping getofmeland gets to try out the ai in rc when he plays so he can compare it to what seems to be pretty decent ai in rwc. Rwc dosesn't sound terrible based off comments in this thread so if I could buy both I still would be looking to do so if possible.

I'm curious, what was Canada's rating?
I'm afraid the only ratings we're allowed to share are the ones already in this thread

I'll admit that before I played RWC2011 I was 50/50 whether I'd get it
However after playing I definitely will - I really really really enjoyed the game, and while it does play a bit like 08 I'd say it's "Rugby 9" rather than "Rugby 8.5" :p - I think you'll think of it what you want to. People who go in to it with a negative mindset could easily say "oh this is like 08 rar rar rar" however go in neutrally you think "oh, this is bloody fun!"

Regarding RC the gameplay video from Ireland has really knocked my confidence in that, the passing looked dreadful, however I'm going to reserve judgement until I've played it, as getting hands on is certainly the way to go about it :)

Whilst its good to hear that team ratings do actual represent a difference between the teams, how is this manifested? Is it a case of simply all stats for a Tier 2 nation player being 10% lower then that of a Tier 1 nation player. Or is it more subtle then that, where, as in the real game, a Tier 2 nation player may be similar to a Tier 1 nation in some regards (size, strength, pace, acceleration etc) the major difference would be seen in some of their technical ability or training (lower passing & handling ratings, poorer ruck ability, lower stamina/fitness ratings, poorer discipline as examples)

Basically, is a team like Namibia a complete pile of slow donkeys, 10-20% worse across the board then say Scotland, or are they well matched in some aspects but significantly worse in others?

Regarding the losing every scrum piece, your own and on his feed, did you also see this happen against the AI on the harder difficulties aswell? Is it still a contest, albeit weighted to the better nation? What if the two teams were evenly rated, would the player controlled team still lose the vast majority of scrums when on the harder AI?
Part of the problems for me in past versions was this thing where on Elite difficulty you would never opt for a scrum or fear having one, even with your own feed, as the game was programmed to just keep the ball from you, even if you were playing as Eng up against an AI controlled Samoa (just an example).

I'm no the best person to answer this as I didn't play 1v1 against the AI, however when me and Cymro got beaten by England it wasn't a case of them winning every ruck and scrum - we had our fair share of ball, but kept getting pinged for infringing at the ruck (being a forward Cymro loved the "hands in the ruck" button :p ) and Flood kept taking the points

From watching Fiji vs Ireland, and playing as a lower team vs England I'd definitely say it's possible to beat the harder opposition, it's just...harder!
The rucks take some time to get used to, so eventually you'll be able to retain and steal ball (for example my first game was against GetOfMeLand and I was losing all breakdowns, mine and his, because I was working out the breakdown) - once I'd got a feel for it I was getting better
Scrums, while the same system as in previous ***les, actually require a bit of timing to hook the ball. In 08 you pressed "feed" then pressed "hook" whenever you wanted and got the ball, now you have to hook it at the right time or the opposition pinches it

The stats represent everything - from skill at the ruck to the scrum to the lineout to kicking
I wouldn't say speed, because my winger did manage to get away from Ashton before getting knocked into touch by Foden - However the team ratings are worked out as almost an average of the players, so a team rated 60 isn't going to be full of 95+ rated players

Sorry if this didn't really answer your question, but I'll leave it for someone who actually played the AI properly :p

Also, with regards to Australia and New Zealand, like Teh Mite said (I think it was?) - it's just a case of changing their names, the stats etc. are all right
For example, the New Zealand number 7 is rated in the 90s and is their captain, their no.10 is one of (if not the) highest ranking players
For Australia their no.14 is set as their kicker (though their no.14 looks more like Ioane than O'Connor, so might want to switch them round! :p )

I'm afraid the only ratings we're allowed to share are the ones already in this thread

I'll admit that before I played RWC2011 I was 50/50 whether I'd get it
However after playing I definitely will - I really really really enjoyed the game, and while it does play a bit like 08 I'd say it's "Rugby 9" rather than "Rugby 8.5" :p - I think you'll think of it what you want to. People who go in to it with a negative mindset could easily say "oh this is like 08 rar rar rar" however go in neutrally you think "oh, this is bloody fun!"

Regarding RC the gameplay video from Ireland has really knocked my confidence in that, the passing looked dreadful, however I'm going to reserve judgement until I've played it, as getting hands on is certainly the way to go about it.

I don't think much can be analysed by that Ireland Gameplay video. Quality wasn't the best, it was two people playing it for the first time and they were just playing running rugby.

I completely understand that, it's why I'm not making any judgements on most of the stuff, but I don't think the actual animation of the passing has anything to do with them playing it (I remember one pass almost hung in the air for a second before someone ran onto it)

I can't wait to read GetOfMeLands comparison, as he'll be (I think) the first person to do a proper comparison of the two - and playing the two games about 12hrs apart as well so he can compare as properly as you can without having them actually side by side

Yeah i'm looking forward to that big time as I think im definitely getting Rugby Challenge as I love customisation and franchise, but depending on the demo and what the reviews are, I will get RWC too because I dont think there needs to be a winner in this situation out of RWC and RC I think they will both have strenghts and weaknesses. I think the real winner is the fans because they get one game that everyone knows will have good gameplay and will be fun to play (RWC) and one game that will have great customisation and game modes (+ maybe gameplay nobody knows yet).

Latest posts