• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Trf team of tournament

A bit of an update ...

Josh Adams put in a strong performance yesterday with some very good defence to close down the Aussie overlap on three occasions, plus some nice runs. Koroibete not too bad but nothing too great and could have don't better defending the kick that led to Parkes try.

Mapimpi played Namibia.
Stockdale and lemeke not too bad.
Overall there isn't as many Errors or blatantly poor decisions as I was expecting, although it's hard to judge outside backs without seeing the whole field. But not a lot of standout performances either.

I'm not looking at the top locks when they are playing substandard sides as will no doubt look better.

for example, Kruis looked brilliant against the USA but won't be in the reckoning on that performance.

Ryan came more to the fore against Japan.

The hookers are a bit quiet so far in the tournament for me, nothing really noteworthy this past weekend, Although the Georgian scrum was decimating the Uruguayans so a mention has to be made for their hookers.

Mbonambi scored 2 tries against Namibia.

But I have to say Schalk Brits performed the best, albeit he played 50 minutes at no. 8.

The hookers are a bit quiet so far in the tournament for me, nothing really noteworthy this past weekend, Although the Georgian scrum was decimating the Uruguayans so a mention has to be made for their hookers.

Mbonambi scored 2 tries against Namibia.

But I have to say Schalk Brits performed the best, albeit he played 50 minutes at no. 8.
what did you think of
Shota horie?

I think the 6's have been relatively quiet also. Obviously Savea had a big match that first weekend but he is still the only real standout. Seems to be very few 'natural' 6's out there at the moment... just a sh**-ton of 7's.

Having said that Wainwright put in a decent performance against the Aussies yesterday.

I'm not looking at the top locks when they are playing substandard sides as will no doubt look better.

for example, Kruis looked brilliant against the USA but won't be in the reckoning on that performance.

Ryan came more to the fore against Japan.
that's fair. For me, players can play themselves out of contention in games against minnows, if they play poorly, but you can't really learn too much from the good performances against the minnows. players in the minnow teams of course are playing against better teams, so their good performances in those games definteily qualify, especially as they will only have pool games. not that i expect any minnow player to feature, but you never know.

about hookers Julian Montoya's 4 try's and good performance deserves mentioning his the top scorer of the wc

about hookers Julian Montoya's 4 try's and good performance deserves mentioning his the top scorer of the wc
3 more and he equals Habana and Lomus record of most World Cup tries. England is probably shivering. They are getting Cat flashbacks

For some odd reason, the hookers are all scoring tries. I think it's the position that has scored the most tries. And in 3 matches so far the hooker scored 2 tries.

Montoya does deserve a mention for his tries yes. But it feels like there are times in the game where he goes a bit silent, or maybe it's the commentators not mentioning him a lot.

For some odd reason, the hookers are all scoring tries. I think it's the position that has scored the most tries. And in 3 matches so far the hooker scored 2 tries.

Montoya does deserve a mention for his tries yes. But it feels like there are times in the game where he goes a bit silent, or maybe it's the commentators not mentioning him a lot.

It's because of driving mauls being the get out of jail free card vs tier 2 sides. Argentina, Australia, South Africa and England have all smashed minnows at the lineout.

It's because of driving mauls being the get out of jail free card vs tier 2 sides. Argentina, Australia, South Africa and England have all smashed minnows at the lineout.
Would have probably saved us as well except Best can't f***ing throw.

As for the scrumhalves, Gareth Davies has been very good twice now. Murray wasn't great against Japan after a brilliant game against the Scots. The Australians have been weird, in both games the guy coming off the bench has been a big improvement on the starter.

From the Tier 2 teams, I'd agree with some others that Uruguay's 9 was very good against Fiji, none of the others have stood out to me though.

As for the scrumhalves, Gareth Davies has been very good twice now. Murray wasn't great against Japan after a brilliant game against the Scots. The Australians have been weird, in both games the guy coming off the bench has been a big improvement on the starter.

From the Tier 2 teams, I'd agree with some others that Uruguay's 9 was very good against Fiji, none of the others have stood out to me though.
I know this might be a bit of a Wales 9 overload but Tomos Williams has been class during his two substitute appearances too.

he didn't start vs France but was good the minutes he was in (he played the second half vs France and first vs tonga the best minutes by the team so far.)

I know this might be a bit of a Wales 9 overload but Tomos Williams has been class during his two substitute appearances too.
That's fair, forgot about him. Glad he's back ahead of Aled Davies who offers very little.from what I can see (why Williams ended up behind him during the 6 Nations was beyond me at the time).

That's fair, forgot about him. Glad he's back ahead of Aled Davies who offers very little.from what I can see (why Williams ended up behind him during the 6 Nations was beyond me at the time).
Think he picked up a ****le during the French game and has struggles to usurp A Davies since... agreed though, I'm glad he's back as our bench 9 at least. I mean normally I'd be championing him to get the starting spot but G Davies has been stellar so far.

Ok, so the us left wing had a good game, I don't know what his name is but it sounds like Yosefo. He had a good workrate on defence, making some good cover tackles, chased a kick and held the French player up to create a maul and turnover, had a few good runs, did a few other good things.

Radradra was excellent against Georgia.but it was Georgia. His final trial game will be against wales and he has to be a major contender if he can perform in that game. It will be a great trial given he can be compared against the welsh 11, who is currently a leading contender.

Maitland was very good most of the time against Scotland, but through some poor and silly offloady passes. He will have to show less risky behaviour in his bigger games.

I'm curious as to whether you noticed Murray's three knock ons in the first game, and how much you think that counts against him? Certainly he seemed exceptional apart from that, not that I was watching him as closely as you, although I do keep an eye out for this guy because I admire him lotsly, at times.

I'm curious as to whether you noticed Murray's three knock ons in the first game, and how much you think that counts against him? Certainly he seemed exceptional apart from that, not that I was watching him as closely as you, although I do keep an eye out for this guy because I admire him lotsly, at times.
He was poor in the air but seemed to cop on and stop going for most of the high balls. Probably the one criticism I'd have of his performance in that game really.

Edit: Liked the look of Weber off the bench against Canada, even if it was just Canada. As @bushytop said Williams has been good for Wales and I thought Machenaud was pretty good against the USA as well. Obviously those 3 would need more gametime be properly in contention but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Latest posts