• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Trf team of tournament

Wales online (groan) have put a team together from the pool stages.

15. Beauden Barrett
14. Kataro Matsushima
13. Timothy Lafaele
12. Sami Kerevi
11. Semi Radrada
10. Richie Mo' unga
9. Gareth Davies
8. Kazuki Himeno
7. Ardie Savea
6. Josh Navidi
5. Joot de Lager
4. Scott Barrett
3. Tadgh Furlong
2. Tolu Latu
1. Keita Ingaki

I would probably have it another way in a few positions... Horie at hooker in particular (though Latu has been very good).

Would imagine the English dont think much of it... probably a bit harsh not to get any of them in it. It's debatable either way though really. Would imagine the actual team of the tournament will be quite different to this once the final's final whistle blows.

Argg! "Joot". Its Lood or Lodewyk. Lood being shortened and meaning 'lead'.

Argg! "Joot". Its Lood or Lodewyk. Lood being shortened and meaning 'lead'.
Wales Online dood ;)... I don't know what to tell you.

edit. In fairness to WOL I just accessed their article and they have it as Lood. Only excuse is, I was copying it out of the Western Mail (newspaper, same media group as WOL) while the anaesthetic was taking hold in a dentists waiting room.

Still my bad, pass my apologies on to Lood. How the **** didn't I mess up some of those Japanese names is the question I'm left asking though.

Last edited:
So thoughts on the quarter finals:

Murray was s*** and we are out. Doesnt have a hope. Smith opposite him was exceptional, brought so much life to the attack especially early on, put himself right in the mix. Been a big fan of Perenara for years but think he's had a pretty average tournament in all fairness.

Youngs was decent, he's been fine overall this tournament but nothing amazing. Genia and White were both pretty meh, both are going home without making much of an impression.

Faf was good overall, did a lot very well but did make a few mistakes early on. Would still need some huge games to end up on top for me. Reinach and Janties have been good in their limited opportunities but would need to see a lot more gametime. Didn't see what a lot of others saw in Nagare, thought that on balance he was good and got the ball away from the ruck well but far from exceptional.

Dupont was excellent again, if I had to pick now I'd go for him. A lot needed to overtake him, no one else has been as consistently excellent. On the other team Davies was okay I guess, nothing special, didn't advance his chances much without killing them either. Tomos Williams was really good off the bench again, he's had a brilliant tournament. Caused the decisive moment and brought more intensity to the Welsh attack.

Overall, top 5 at this stage

1) Dupont
2) Williams
3) Davies
4) Smith
5) De Klerk

So after the quarterfinals.

moles openside flankers (mopenside flankers)

1) underhill
2) tipuric
3) Russian lad

should feel ashamed of themselves:
Hooper
Quill

kolisi and cane are still in it but they need huge performances the next two weeks

ollivon is probably the third best and I really liked how he played today but he didn't play well enough to knock off russian lad from third mopenside flanker.

So the hookers. For me the standout performances in the QF's were George, Chat and Marx. But this might be my biasness coming through, but I'm gonna give it to Marx. He came on in the 32nd minute and instantly made a difference today against Japan. Had a 100% lineout completion, made a lot of tackles, stole the ball at the ruck and had some good runs as well.

News at 6: I think Curry was outstanding yesterday, so good that I'd probably have him level with Ardie going into the Semis (both 7's 'really' ironically). Wainwright put in another good shift today in an otherwise pretty abject Welsh performance. Leitch was fine today but it was difficult for him against the SA forward power, where ironically I'm still yet to be impressed by one of my favourite players PSDT.

Currently:
1. Ardie & Curry
2. Wainwright
3. Leitch
4. Waqaniburotu (honestly don't think PTSD, Pocock or anyone else really were better).

Last edited:
Still struggling to see past BB as best 15 at present thought Medard was great for Fra today.
No real stand outs but Le Roux was poor and LW for Wales both should be far better.
Should Daly have 2 decent games a nine 15 may make it along with BB .
So world 15 at present are pants

Still radradra at 11.

So after the quarterfinals.

moles openside flankers (mopenside flankers)

1) underhill
2) tipuric
3) Russian lad

should feel ashamed of themselves:
Hooper
Quill

kolisi and cane are still in it but they need huge performances the next two weeks

ollivon is probably the third best and I really liked how he played today but he didn't play well enough to knock off russian lad from third mopenside flanker.
Are you considering savea? Played the second half against springboks at 7 getting 4 turnovers Im 40 minutes that would have been 7 or 8 with most refs, then played the second half against Ireland at 7.

I mean we don't want to end up with the same player in more than one position but you can negotiate with mr top if it comes to that.

Update on 12s after the quarters:

In the lead:
Kerevi and Fikou cemented themselves as front runners in losing games, I really don't want to have to pick between these two but I'll have to if none of the semi-finals teams 12s step up in the interim.

Still in contention:
DDA has been pretty solid throughout the tournament both in defense in attack without really taking any games by the scruff, if he has standout semi and or perhaps maybe a good final he could win out here.
ALB, Only played two games at 12 thus far and while he was pretty excellent in the pool game, he was just good in the quarter, again if he really steps up his game in his remaining fixture he could sneak top spot.

Will need big performances:
Manu and Parkes, while not having been bad haven't set the tournament alight thus far, two EXTREMELY strong performances could elevate them to the best number 12 after the semi's and final. - Manu suffers a lot from having played only about half his games at 12.

Out:
Nakamura/Henshaw/Aki/Farrel
The Irish mixed up their 12 too much, no-one got any time to shine or really had an amazing game.
Nakamura just isn't great in an exciting Japan team.
All other teams that didn't leave the pools didn't have any standout 12s from what I saw.

Last edited:
Semi final update: Davies (just wasn't great all round), Williams (been a big fan so far but the semi was easily his worst game, made some dodgy decisions and didn't have the impact of other games) and Smith (in fairness was behind a beaten pack but still could exert no influence on the game, not to mention a fair amount of poor kicking) were all pretty underwhelming and lost their games.

Leaves us with Faf and Dupont, I think it's probably going to the France unless De Klerk has a monumental final, which is a possibility (will probably need to if SA are to win).

Last edited:
Openside Update:
1. American Citizen Sam Underhill
2. Ardie Savea, who I think had a good shift saturday on an overwhelmed all blacks side.

Kolisi has clearly been playing at like 65% and he's mostly an energy/leadership guy right now. He comes off as soon as South Africa think they can cruise to the finish.

Should be ****** at their coach: Sam Cane
Should be ashamed of themselves: Quill, Hooper
How about you do it in the playoffs: Hooper, Josh van der Flier

Cane was in prime position to move up the board but he didnt' really change things from the bench.

After the Semi finals, the hookers were all equally underwhelming. George's overthrow in the lineout gave NZ their only points in the game, regardless if it was his fault or not. Dane Coles was just being a pain doing things he shouldn't. Marx and Mbonambi was a bit quiet. And Owens was bleeding a lot. Not much to write about really.

Anyone picking someone who's country has been eliminated? I've still got a couple in the running for 10.

Anyone picking someone who's country has been eliminated? I've still got a couple in the running for 10.

There are surely a few in the running still. Himeno was fantastic in the pool stages at 8 and I haven't seen anyone in the knockouts have an incredible performance yet.

6. Is all Curry right now although I did feel yesterday was PTSD's (PSTD) best showing thus far. Ardie has switched back to 7 of late but on his showings at 6 is still probably my second choice. Leitch and Wainwright also had a good tournament.

Hmm in a bit of a quandry because Farrel played 12 again but I'm not sure I can give him the number 12 jersey, also DDA had a great game in an under performing springbok back line.
Basically I think the 12 spot is going to go like this:
- If Farrel plays 12 and has a blinder in the final I'm going to give it to Farrel.
- If DDA has a blinder in the final he's going to get the nod.
- If both DDA and Farrel have great games it will probably come down to which one was more influential.
- If neither Farrel or DDA have a blinder I think I'm going to give it to Kerevi.

Latest posts