• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Springboks @ Westpac Stadium (30-07-2011, 07:35 GMT)

hey man... i was thinking last night.....
PDV initail setup was lambie on fullback and steyn on flyhalf....

then for some strange reason i see dan carter make a comment on how he praizes lambie... and how good lambie is... and that lambie is not 1-dimentional as steyn (not said in so many words).....

then all of a sudden i see PDV swop the 2 around.... :?

i wonder if it wasn't tactics from the AB side and that PDV fell for it :?

steyn for me is just weak... has always been... will always be... only thing keeping him in this team is his goal kicking ability... well for me atleast... the idiots in SA rugby pick him cuz of his expericen bla bla bla...

Steyn is like Naas "Lass" Botha... you only bring him on to take a shot at goal... and take him off again... weak....

That's interesting.... I don't really know if it was a plan from the ABs, but it is definitely a possibility that that is why PDV made the swop...either way the Boks are gonna get munched

maybe not...i just checked the weather in wellington for the game and its gonna be raining..... so its gonna be a kicking game..... Ab are gonna make a lot of handling error cuz of them running with ball in hand... conditions are gonna favour SA... they can "park the bus" in defence and wait for mistakes... steyn kicking for territory etc

cant understand thomson start on 8 :? why not messam???

but we will see.....

maybe not...i just checked the weather in wellington for the game and its gonna be raining..... so its gonna be a kicking game..... Ab are gonna make a lot of handling error cuz of them running with ball in hand... conditions are gonna favour SA... they can "park the bus" in defence and wait for mistakes... steyn kicking for territory etc

cant understand thomson start on 8 :? why not messam???

but we will see.....

Thomson's in better form. He had a very good game last week against Fiji. Messam unfortunatly was too quite (I like him better however)

Thank goodness SBW is not starting. He is lethal and way better than Nonu. All SA can hope for is that NZ do humiliate this SA "C" side and stick to these combinations for the WC. In my opinion NZ have way better players like Robbie Freuen, IRB player of the u19 WC tournament in 2007, Rocockoko ,feared by SA players and Ellis, best NZ scrummie in S15. All countries can just just hope that Henry makes the same mistake by not getting the right combinations together come WC 2011. Mossie & Deysel, do SA a favour and go hurt some of those NZ boys!

Thank goodness SBW is not starting. He is lethal and way better than Nonu. All SA can hope for is that NZ do humiliate this SA "C" side and stick to these combinations for the WC. In my opinion NZ have way better players like Robbie Freuen, IRB player of the u19 WC tournament in 2007, Rocockoko ,feared by SA players and Ellis, best NZ scrummie in S15. All countries can just just hope that Henry makes the same mistake by not getting the right combinations together come WC 2011. Mossie & Deysel, do SA a favour and go hurt some of those NZ boys!

Fruean can't defend to save himself, Andy Ellis generally struggles whenever he plays at test level, and I have no idea why SA players would fear Rokocoko, as he is probably one of the least dangerous NZ outside backs in Super Rugby. The only one of those three that will be near making the RWC squad is Ellis, and while I understand why they are likely to include him as their third halfback, many people (myself included) would pick Alby Mathewson ahead of him.

This last Super15 season, I've seen at least 6 NZ wingers in better form than Rokocoko. I don't know why he would be in the starting line-up. He is the Kiwi-version of Bryan Habana. Glorious once, many years ago but at this moment not even close to the level people expect of him. I would even prefer guys like Lelia Masaga over Rocks at the moment.

David Smith would even do better. Not sure if he is eligible to play for the All Blacks though, since he is from Samoa

Nonu has performed Internationally for the past 2/3 years, SBW hasn't. Therefore Nonu must be better. Most people are suggesting this South African side is better than the one that played against Australia; therefore it is a "B+" side

Weather is pretty nice in Wellington at the moment, bit cold though. Hopefully it stays that way for the game anyway :p.

Ellis crumbles like shortbread when it comes to test rugby. He was made to look good this year because of the success of the entire Crusaders outfit. He can't hold his own weight in tackles, he's not that great at kicking, he's slower than a sleeping paraplegic at clearing ball and he get's manhandled whenever he tries to play fringe rugby which makes him one of the least versatile halfbacks in New Zealand.

This is the perfect game for Nonu to be selfish and just run at the Boks line,never mind about trying to create something for the guys outside of him.
I love how Rene Ranger just backs himself and never gives up busting tackles,Nonu needs to go back to doing this again we all know he can pass now lets see him bust tackles again.

This is the perfect game for Nonu to be selfish and just run at the Boks line,never mind about trying to create something for the guys outside of him.
I love how Rene Ranger just backs himself and never gives up busting tackles,Nonu needs to go back to doing this again we all know he can pass now lets see him bust tackles again.

I think the other problem for Nonu is that he simply isn't given the room in the All Blacks. The attacking strategy for several years now has revolved around half-paced hit ups and very flat, foward filled back lines. Nonu would flourish if he was playing centre for the Wallabies because their attack is so much more efficient and harder hitting.

Haha, hate to disagree with everything you have said...but.
1. Why is SBW better than Nonu? Nonu has been the most destructive back in New Zealand rugby, scoring more tries than any other All Blacks since 2008.
2. Robert Fruean is a talent, but his defense is not up to this level yet. He would behind Smith and Kahui in the pecking order.
3. I love Joe Rokocoko, and he has scored the top equal number of tries ever in the Tri Nations (with Christian Cullen), but I don't think he has been in "fearsom" form. I can certainly see why he would be feared more than Zac Guildford, but what player isn't.
4. Any Ellis being New Zealand's best scrum half is laughable. He got the benefit of being behind an amazing pack in the Super Rugby, but he's useless in comparison to Weepu and even Cowan. I'd have picked Mathewson in the squad over him any day of the week.

I think the other problem for Nonu is that he simply isn't given the room in the All Blacks. The attacking strategy for several years now has revolved around half-paced hit ups and very flat, foward filled back lines. Nonu would flourish if he was playing centre for the Wallabies because their attack is so much more efficient and harder hitting.
Yes this very true look at how McCabe has been hitting the line at full pace, why would the All Blacks resort to doing this when you have someone like Nonu at your disposal???

Why is SBW better than Nonu? Nonu has been the most destructive back in New Zealand rugby, scoring more tries than any other All Blacks since 2008.

As much as I like Nonu and as impressive as it is I don't think you can really compair the two based on All Blacks stats. Had it been SBW in place of Nonu that statistic would probably look very similar, if not better. I do think Williams has played the better rugby this year based on their Super 15 performances but then again the Canes went down the toilet so that point becomes somewhat irrelevant as well.

Any Ellis being New Zealand's best scrum half is laughable. He got the benefit of being behind an amazing pack in the Super Rugby, but he's useless in comparison to Weepu and even Cowan. I'd have picked Mathewson in the squad over him any day of the week.

Second that.

Yes this very true look at how McCabe has been hitting the line at full pace, why would the All Blacks resort to doing this when you have someone like Nonu at your disposal???

Because the coaches are gimps? I don't know, you tell me.

This last Super15 season, I've seen at least 6 NZ wingers in better form than Rokocoko. I don't know why he would be in the starting line-up. He is the Kiwi-version of Bryan Habana. Glorious once, many years ago but at this moment not even close to the level people expect of him. I would even prefer guys like Lelia Masaga over Rocks at the moment.

David Smith would even do better. Not sure if he is eligible to play for the All Blacks though, since he is from Samoa

Smith is eligible for NZ - indeed NZ is the only country he can play for as he has played for the NZ Sevens team. Though he would certainly provide a better attacking threat than Rokocoko, his defense, ball-handling, and decision making is terrible to say the least....

Haha, hate to disagree with everything you have said...but.
1. Why is SBW better than Nonu? Nonu has been the most destructive back in New Zealand rugby, scoring more tries than any other All Blacks since 2008.
2. Robert Fruean is a talent, but his defense is not up to this level yet. He would behind Smith and Kahui in the pecking order.
3. I love Joe Rokocoko, and he has scored the top equal number of tries ever in the Tri Nations (with Christian Cullen), but I don't think he has been in "fearsom" form. I can certainly see why he would be feared more than Zac Guildford, but what player isn't.
4. Any Ellis being New Zealand's best scrum half is laughable. He got the benefit of being behind an amazing pack in the Super Rugby, but he's useless in comparison to Weepu and even Cowan. I'd have picked Mathewson in the squad over him any day of the week.

Perhaps teams should be fearful of Guildford, as he was one of the leading linebreakers in Super Rugby..... I even recall Guildord making brilliant linebreak against the Hurricanes that resulting in a try to Robbie Fruean (the only try in the match, and the difference between the two teams...) :cool:

Doing a stinky split shift today and didn't get enough sleep - but thankfully my body woke me up at 7am out of habit. This is my favourite Test Match. I give New Zealand 7+.

Weheyyyy - I was convinced this was on at 7.35, so set my alarm for 7, and slept right through until a minute ago
Got up, felt gutted for missing the first half, then realised it starts now :D

Strange that there are a fair few seats empty that close to the field, I understand there being empty seats, but the first few rows are usually the first sold, eh?

Carter for the record of leading points scorer.... slots it

Latest posts