• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Under 20’s 2019

I think if Cole's featuring for the seniors we would be looking to have Heyes back. Would benefit more from starting at 3 for us than playing 3 or 18 for the under 20's.

Wales do the same, if selected the regions take preference. It's better experience for the players at the end of the day.

Penny is class, he's got a very bright future. The one question is his size but he doesn't lack impact in contact and is really really fast around the pitch (probably could have been a back in another world, he scores loads of tries as well.)

Leinster probably need him as much as Ireland right now though with all of our other sevens in the senior squad/injured. I'm not sure what the precedent is when they come into conflict though.

Hawkshaw is a big prospect and I've heard great things about French.

Penny is class, he's got a very bright future. The one question is his size but he doesn't lack impact in contact and is really really fast around the pitch (probably could have been a back in another world, he scores loads of tries as well.)

Leinster probably need him as much as Ireland right now though with all of our other sevens in the senior squad/injured. I'm not sure what the precedent is when they come into conflict though.

Hawkshaw is a big prospect and I've heard great things about French.

This definitely looks better than last years squad but that's not saying much (which to be fair was Caelan Doris and not much else except for Kelleher/Tommy O'Brien). It's hard to say how a team will do without seeing them play though. The Irish system isn't really great at producing U20 teams tbh, the Ryan/Stockdale team was a fluke.

Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster)

From a very reputable member on the Ulster forum:

"I was chatting to a member of the squad over the summer and I was asking who was looking good in preseason. His reply 'Will Addison and Stewart Moore are different level'. At this stage I didn't know much about Addison."

His word is more than good enough for me.

Unfortunately he got injured in a preseason match shortly after.

Is he likely to be fit?

Does anyone know whether Hawkshaw is set to play 12 or 10?
It's a good question, because Byrne has a season under his belt there and Healy was really good for Glenstal last year as well, but I think French is primarily a 12 too. I honestly wasn't hugely impressed with Byrne last year, but his pack was often outmuscled.

It's a good question, because Byrne has a season under his belt there and Healy was really good for Glenstal last year as well, but I think French is primarily a 12 too. I honestly wasn't hugely impressed with Byrne last year, but his pack was often outmuscled.

Can't say I was overly impressed with Byrne last either but he wasn't given much to work with and year can make a big difference at this level, his time with the A team for Leinster will stand to him as well (ditto for Healy at Munster if I'm not getting player mixed up).

If Moore is fit it's really gotta be Hawkshaw-French-Moore, other wise Byrne and moving the other two out might be our best bet.

We actually look decent this year, plenty of talented players in several different positions. The worry is that England look class and that a big defeat in the first game could shatter the squads confidence.

England U20s

15. Josh Hodge (Newcastle Falcons), 14. Ollie Sleightholme (Northampton Saints), 13. Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints) - captain, 12. Tom Hardwick (Leicester Tigers), 11. Cadan Murley (Harlequins), 10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins), 9. Sam Maunder (Exeter Chiefs), 1. Olly Adkins (Gloucester), 2. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks), 3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs), 4. Joel Kpoku (Saracens), 5. Alex Coles (Northampton Saints), 6. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), 7. Aaron Hinkley (Gloucester), 8. Tom Willis (Wasps)

Replacements:

16. Ben Atkins (London Irish), 17. Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks), 18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers), 19. James Scott (Worcester Warriors), 20. Rusiate Tuima (Exeter Chiefs), 21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie), 22. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks), 23. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors).

No i didnt see him, must have been an injury or 2 but cant hurt to have a big lad on the bench.

Dont know hinkley but ted hill and tom willis seems a strong back row. Nice strong team though i dont rate tom hardwick that highly.

Id have started cam redpath at 12 and put kieren wilkinson at 22

#Justice4LukeJames

Who is Hardwick? He must be some man to keep James out of the entire u20s setup

Good gods that's a strong squad.
Generally when I look at these age-grade squads there are 4-5 players I actually recognise. This time there are 3 that I don't! (Murley, Dolly, Hinkley)
Actually, scratch that - I do recognise Murley

#Justice4LukeJames

Who is Hardwick? He must be some man to keep James out of the entire u20s setup
I think hardwick is a 10 who can play 12.
Cam redpath keeping james out.
Hardwick is keeping Wilkinson out.
Same no james in there though.

I've heard of most of those players, hopefully they won't have gelled yet but this could be a big score despite us having what I think should be a decent team.

Ireland team v England

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Conor Phillips (Young Munster/Munster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) (capt)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)

1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney Martin (Corinthians/Connacht) *
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) *
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements

16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Ryan Lomas (Galwegians/Connacht)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
21. Cormac Foley (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
22. Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

Charlie Ryan and Scott Penny look like the obvious stars from that XV.

I've heard of most of those players, hopefully they won't have gelled yet but this could be a big score despite us having what I think should be a decent team.

Ireland team v England

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Conor Phillips (Young Munster/Munster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) (capt)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster) *
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)

1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney Martin (Corinthians/Connacht) *
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) *
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements

16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Ryan Lomas (Galwegians/Connacht)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
21. Cormac Foley (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
22. Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

Charlie Ryan and Scott Penny look like the obvious stars from that XV.
To be fair Wren and Penny are 2 of the most highly noted lads from long time ago.
French, Byrne, Hawkshaw and Ryan as well as Wycherley are highly touted too

To be fair Wren and Penny are 2 of the most highly noted lads from long time ago.
French, Byrne, Hawkshaw and Ryan as well as Wycherley are highly touted too
As I say, we've got a good team and it should be much better than last year. I'm not going into that first game expecting a huge amount, but there wins should be very achievable.

Latest posts