• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Under 20’s 2019

35 - 27 to Ireland final score. Brilliant win especially after being 14 - 3 down at one stage.

Unsurprising that England's worst positions were the guys picked ahead of Sale players.

For shame.

Deserved win by Ireland, better side.

England 11 and 15 were dire. Number 11 had the easiest try ever and he just chose not to jump for the ball and stand underneath it waiting for the ball to land in his hands and the Irish defender just jumped over his head.

Lawrence should have started, if they had that little faith in Smith then they should have started Hardwick at 10 and Redpath at 12.

didn't watch the game but who was shot and who did alright?
What team for the next game?
Starting pack went really well. Probably biased but Dolly was really good, big impact in the loose.
Maunder and Hardwick were good,
14 and 13 OK
11 and 15 poor

Reserve forwards were a noticeable step down (apart from #20 who was good but not as good as Willis)
Reserve 9 wasn't good, Redpath and Lawrence made noticeable impacts

Starting pack went really well. Probably biased but Dolly was really good, big impact in the loose.
Maunder and Hardwick were good,
14 and 13 OK
11 and 15 poor

Reserve forwards were a noticeable step down (apart from #20 who was good but not as good as Willis)
Reserve 9 wasn't good, Redpath and Lawrence made noticeable impacts

Am I the only one who thinks If Eddie didn't pick smith a couple years ago he would have had pretty much zero hype?

Am I the only one who thinks If Eddie didn't pick smith a couple years ago he would have had pretty much zero hype?
Don't think that's entirely fair, I agree it definitely added to the hype but towards the beginning of last season he was very impressive. Since then though, he has been poor.

Don't think that's entirely fair, I agree it definitely added to the hype but towards the beginning of last season he was very impressive. Since then though, he has been poor.

See I thought he started last season strongly then completely went off the boil.

I guess it is harsh. he is clearly talented but he didn't deserve the messiah hype he got from the press.

Delighted with that. Penny and Hodnett were very impressive up front and the entire backline was great going forward.

Harry Byrne looks unrecognisable from last year, looks like a great prospect. Excited to see him for Leinster now.

Scott Penny was constantly involved. I hope his size doesn't hold him back at senior level because he's very good.

Ireland U20 (v Scotland)

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon RFC / Munster)
14. Conor Phillips (Young Munster RFC / Munster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University FC / Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf FC / Leinster) Captain
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution FC / Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
9. Cormac Foley (St.Mary's College RFC / Leinster)

1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster RFC / Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians RFC / Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University FC / Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD RFC / Leinster)
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers RFC / Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere RFC / Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD RFC / Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC RFC / Munster)

Replacements:
16. John McKee (Old Belvedere RFC / Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD RFC / Leinster)
18. Luke Masters (Shannon RFC / Munster)*
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf FC / Leinster)
20. David McCann (Banbridge RFC / Ulster)
21. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers RFC / Connacht)*
22. Sean French (Cork Constitution FC / Munster)
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University FC / Leinster)

Any welsh fan that can tell me how good you guys are this year? Staying close to France for most of the game looks like a decent result (at least I think), since they are supposed to be really good again in 2019.
Does Italy have a real shot at back-to-back wins for the first time in U20 history?

England U20s

15. Josh Hodge (Newcastle Falcons), 14. Ollie Sleightholme (Northampton Saints), 13. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors), 12. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks), 11. Arron Reed (Sale Sharks), 10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins), 9. Sam Maunder (Exeter Chiefs), 1. Olly Adkins (Gloucester), 2. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks), 3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs), 4. Joel Kpoku (Saracens), 5. Alex Coles (Northampton Saints), 6. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), 7. Aaron Hinkley (Gloucester), 8. Tom Willis (Wasps)

Replacements:

16. Ben Atkins (London Irish), 17. Kai Owen (Worcester Warriors), 18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers), 19. James Scott (Worcester Warriors), 20. Rusiate Tuima (Exeter Chiefs), 21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie), 22. Tom Hardwick (Leicester Tigers), 23. Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby).

England U20s

15. Josh Hodge (Newcastle Falcons), 14. Ollie Sleightholme (Northampton Saints), 13. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors), 12. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks), 11. Arron Reed (Sale Sharks), 10. Marcus Smith (Harlequins), 9. Sam Maunder (Exeter Chiefs), 1. Olly Adkins (Gloucester), 2. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks), 3. Marcus Street (Exeter Chiefs), 4. Joel Kpoku (Saracens), 5. Alex Coles (Northampton Saints), 6. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), 7. Aaron Hinkley (Gloucester), 8. Tom Willis (Wasps)

Replacements:

16. Ben Atkins (London Irish), 17. Kai Owen (Worcester Warriors), 18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers), 19. James Scott (Worcester Warriors), 20. Rusiate Tuima (Exeter Chiefs), 21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie), 22. Tom Hardwick (Leicester Tigers), 23. Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby).
Harsh on Dingwall to be dropped from the 23 completely; thought he performed well last week and he's been very impressive for Saints.

Injured, apparently
As is whoever started on the wing last week that Reed has replaced

Any welsh fan that can tell me how good you guys are this year? Staying close to France for most of the game looks like a decent result (at least I think), since they are supposed to be really good again in 2019.
Does Italy have a real shot at back-to-back wins for the first time in U20 history?

I don't see why not. They're much better at this level now. They might even be favourites?!

From what I've heard is that on a whole it's a very young squad with a lot of 18 year olds making their debut at this level, so likely to be a bit of a learning curve this year.

Still a few lads from the last year or so like Cai Evans and Taine Basham who played well in the 2018 6N and JRWC, and have had a little bit of game time for their regions as well.

However on the whole it's a very inexperienced side, so I have a feeling we may see another Italian victory here!

Last edited:

Latest posts