• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Under 20’s 2019

From what I've heard is that on a whole it's a very young squad with a lot of 18 year olds making their debut at this level, so likely to be a bit of a learning curve this year.

Still a few lads from the last year or so like Cai Evans and Taine Basham who played well in the 2018 6N and JRWC, and have had a little bit of game time for their regions as well.

However on the whole it's a very experienced side, so I have a feeling we may see another Italian victory here!
Thanks, good to have at least some information about the opponents! From what I read we are also quite inexperienced in the backs (5 out of 7 are 18yo) and we don't have the same quality we had last year in the forwards, so we're supposed to possibly suffer with the scrum. But the backs apparently have a good amount of talent and they were all part of the U18 team that did really well at the Six Nation Festival U18 last year, beating England for the first time in forever probably. Oh well, at the end of the day with the U20 it's better to just wait and see, almost impossible to understand the strenght of a team compared to another before the game.
Hopefully will be an enjoable game...and result!

The italian XV for the game vs Wales

15 Jacopo TRULLA (Valsugana Rugby Padova)**
14 Edoardo MASTANDREA (Valsugana Rugby Padova)**
13 Matteo MOSCARDI (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)*
12 Damiano MAZZA (Kawasaki Robot Calvisano)*
11 Michael MBA (Rugby Casale)**
10 Paolo GARBISI (Mogliano Rugby 1969)**
9 Gianmarco PIVA (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)*
8 Antoine KOFFI (Kawasaki Robot Calvisano)*
7 Davide RUGGERI (Rugby Como)** - capitano
6 Andrea CHIANUCCI (Toscana Aeroporti I Medicei)
5 Thomas PAROLO (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)**
4 Nicolae Cristian STOIAN (Rugby Anzio)**
3 Matteo NOCERA (Fiamme Oro Rugby)*
2 Niccolò TADDIA (FEMI-CZ Rovigo)**
1 Matteo DRUDI (Frascati Rugby Club)**

Bench
16 Andrej MARINELLO (Ruggers Tarvisium)**
17 Luca FRANCESCHETTO (Rugby Vicenza)**
18 Filippo ALONGI (I ***ani)**
19 Marco BUTTURINI (Modena Rugby 1965)**
20 Angelo MAURIZI (Unione Rugby L'Aquila)**
21 Lorenzo CITTON (Valsugana Rugby Padova)
22 Giacomo DA RE (Mogliano Rugby 1969)
23 Federico MORI (Rugby Etruschi Livorno)**

* means that it was a member of the FIR Academy
** still a member
Just something that our Federation does every time the announce a lineup lol

Same team that played in Scotland a week ago, just two changes at 6 and 9 because of injuries.

Ireland game isn't on telly apparently. Showing the Women's game instead which is fair enough but frustrating as assuming last week wasn't a flash in the pan this could be a really strong year for us. Can probably still get it on the Player but the Rte player is a nightmare to use.

You'd imagine we should beat Scotland anyway but underage results can be hard to call.

I thought I liked Irish club names, and then Kawasaki Robot Calvisano came into my life.

Calvisano can save money on ball boys.

I thought I liked Irish club names, and then Kawasaki Robot Calvisano came into my life.

Calvisano can save money on ball boys.

Lol

Yes, here in the rugby third world we have a lot of teams with some kind sponsor in their names. Calvisano it's actually one of the best teams in our domestic league, they won 4 of the last 7 championship and have been in the final in the last 5 years. A lot of good young players played there before joining the Pro14 clubs.

Ireland win 24-5 apparently. From the reports it sounds like Hodnett, Turner, Byrne and Penny were the standouts. This is really shaping up well for us now.

Lol

Yes, here in the rugby third world we have a lot of teams with some kind sponsor in their names. Calvisano it's actually one of the best teams in our domestic league, they won 4 of the last 7 championship and have been in the final in the last 5 years. A lot of good young players played there before joining the Pro14 clubs.

Yeah, I've heard of the Eccellenza (or Top 14 now?) clubs, I just hadn't seen Calvisano called that. Streaming of the Italy vs Wales game on YouTube apparently tomorrow.

Yeah, I've heard of the Eccellenza (or Top 14 now?) clubs, I just hadn't seen Calvisano called that. Streaming of the Italy vs Wales game on YouTube apparently tomorrow.

It's Top 12 now, hopefully they are gonna stop changing its name. And yep, the U20 game will be on FIR's YouTube and Facebook tomorrow, hopefully it will be available for welsh fan as well and not geo-restricted.

Excited to see Baird off the bench, he'd be starting if he wasn't injured. Pity about Byrne and Hawkshaw, even if French is a brilliant replacement. French look powerful so far though, even if we seem to have the edge in the tight.

Does anyone know where I can watch the Scotland vs Wales u20s game... the game against England was on S4C but I can't find coverage of this anywhere?

Great idea moving this to Cork. Wonderful atmosphere.

Think it'd be on Scottish telly only @bushytop Couldn't get it here when we were playing them.

Cheers... had a look on BBC ALBA but their just showing the women's game which is on BBC2 Wales anyway. Guess I'm watching that tonight then... hopefully a boob will pop out or something...:rolleyes:

Healy is a massive downgrade on Byrne.

Amazing how clueless RTE are, go on about how we have the edge on one of their wingers, literally next play he cuts through are defence.

Edit: We got lucky there.

I'm very impressed with Jonathan Wren and Sean French. EDIT They should consider moving to Leinster because they might get game time before they're 30!

Better decision making would have seen Ireland score a try just there.

EDIT I hope Craig Casey's size doesn't count against him because he could become an excellent scrumhalf.

Last edited:
I'm very impressed with Jonathan Wren and Sean French.

Better decision making would have seen Ireland score a try just there.

Wren has been excellent throughout the tournament, looks like a serious prospect. The depth at centre is amazing as well between Hawkshaw, Turner, French, and Moore. All four are future stars, makes me wonder why we're not picking Turner on the wing (although now that i think about it you could hardly take Wren/Kernohan out) to get French in the team because he's really good. The pack as a whole have been excellent as well, particularly the backrow. Scott Penny is on another level, never seems not to be involved.

Casey is a brilliant scrumhalf as well. Baird has made a difference since coming on, he'd be easily starting if he hasn't been injured

Last edited:
How many penalties do the French l need to give away in the 22 before there's a yellow.

EDIT: 20 minutes from being champions, massive turnaround from last year.

Last edited:
Flannery at 15 has had a bit of a nightmare.

That's a soft try from a position where we could have killed the game.
Yep, really frustrating. Flannery has been excellent in the other games but he's been off it today.

Latest posts