• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

URC 2022/2023 Final

Fair play to anyone who travels. €2.5k is the number I've heard for the round trip, that's dedication from anyone regardless.

As I said I hope Munster win, I might tune in but it's far from a priority and I won't have an iota of sympathy for any fans if they lose following the performance of Munster fans last week - regardless of how big or small a representation that was.

Packed house in Cape Town and I'm expecting Stormers to find scores more easily than Munster so I'd give them the edge. Not discounting anything though and I really hope Munster don't let the occasion get the better of them.

As I said before, we're beyond bonus territory for my expectations this season, so regardless of the result it's a thumbs up for me on Rowntrees first season. Still to get to a final and not win I'd be gutted. I'm very much encouraged by our performance here earlier in the season, albeit I still think we are firm underdogs.

Fair play to anyone who travels. €2.5k is the number I've heard for the round trip, that's dedication from anyone regardless.

As I said I hope Munster win, I might tune in but it's far from a priority and I won't have an iota of sympathy for any fans if they lose following the performance of Munster fans last week - regardless of how big or small a representation that was.

Packed house in Cape Town and I'm expecting Stormers to find scores more easily than Munster so I'd give them the edge. Not discounting anything though and I really hope Munster don't let the occasion get the better of them.
That price must be for the flights really. SA is damn cheap for anyone earning in Euros or Pounds. A beer here costs just over 1 Euro. You can sleep at a really nice AirBnB for around 70 Euro a night, and the Final tickets were also cheap as chips.

That price must be for the flights really. SA is damn cheap for anyone earning in Euros or Pounds. A beer here costs just over 1 Euro. You can sleep at a really nice AirBnB for around 70 Euro a night, and the Final tickets were also cheap as chips.
Yeah I heard 800-900 for 5 nights accom, a match and supporters function. The chartered flight organised bumped that up.

Ah probably those package things. That makes more sense. Plan it by yourself and it would be half that I reckon.

Yeah I heard 800-900 for 5 nights accom, a match and supporters function. The chartered flight organised bumped that up.
The €2.5k was for chartered tour. That included excursions, transfers, match tickets and everything.
You could do a basic tour for €1.7k
But if booking alone like I've heard of lads here that got flights for €650 and hotels for very little.

Our hotel here is in the "posh" area of Cape Town - The waterfront and was asking the hotel and for 5 nights here average price is €80-90 per night a room.
The dearest ticket for Saturday is €25 or something.

I was in stadium this morning as we were preparing of medical planning and must say the pitch is not great really is it. South Africans may be able to comment on this. And I don't mean it a poor pitch as an excuse but just in general for both teams it not a great standard pitch (not stadium now just pitch)

I was in stadium this morning as we were preparing of medical planning and must say the pitch is not great really is it. South Africans may be able to comment on this. And I don't mean it a poor pitch as an excuse but just in general for both teams it not a great standard pitch (not stadium now just pitch)
Two key issues:
- It's actually been football turf rather than rugby turf up until now (2010 World Cup heritage and then used for local football league). Stormers only became theanchor tenant earlier this year so they will finally reseed it this year to make it fit for purpose, but it has been pretty choppy to begin with. Prior to that the Stormers were just doing year to year rental of it (/fighting insolvency so probably didn't want to do/could not do long term committments)
- There was a monster truck event that took place in the stadium about a month ago. As you can imagine, that absolutely destroyed the pitch even further (i.e. this event: https://www.monsterjam.com/en-US/events/cape-town/apr-22-2023-apr-22-2023 )

Basically will be resolved for next season, but that really can't come soon enough.

Two key issues:
- It's actually been football turf rather than rugby turf up until now (2010 World Cup heritage and then used for local football league). Stormers only became theanchor tenant earlier this year so they will finally reseed it this year to make it fit for purpose, but it has been pretty choppy to begin with. Prior to that the Stormers were just doing year to year rental of it (/fighting insolvency so probably didn't want to do/could not do long term committments)
- There was a monster truck event that took place in the stadium about a month ago. As you can imagine, that absolutely destroyed the pitch even further (i.e. this event: https://www.monsterjam.com/en-US/events/cape-town/apr-22-2023-apr-22-2023 )

Basically will be resolved for next season, but that really can't come soon enough.
Was wondering like as I know in general South African pitches are alot better usually. Won't be a factor for Saturday just pitch is a bit heavier for both teams. Like it is a fabulous stadium and delighted it is being used regularly now as would be a shame to see the overall facility waste away.

Was wondering like as I know in general South African pitches are alot better usually. Won't be a factor for Saturday just pitch is a bit heavier for both teams. Like it is a fabulous stadium and delighted it is being used regularly now as would be a shame to see the overall facility waste away.
Your first time in CT or not? Cold front hits today so it's gonna be chilly, but Cape Town is one of the best cities in the world imo. Beauty wise it is very close to the top.

Your first time in CT or not? Cold front hits today so it's gonna be chilly, but Cape Town is one of the best cities in the world imo. Beauty wise it is very close to the top.
No been here a few times. Agreed it a lovely spot although weather now is hit and miss

should be announced around lunch, but I'd be shocked if the Munster side deviates from:

Loughman, Barron, Archer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne, O'Mahony, Coombes, Murray, Crowley, Daly, Fekitoa, Frisch, Nash, Haley

Only deviation I see is Earls in for Nash, but I'd rather keep Nash.

Stormers – 15 Damian Willemse, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Manie Libok, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Evan Roos, 7 Hacjivah Dayimani, 6 Deon Fourie, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Ruben van Heerden, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Steven Kitshoff (c).
Subs: 16 JJ Kotze, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Neethling Fouche, 19 Ben-Jason Dixon, 20 Willie Engelbrecht, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Paul de Wet, 23 Clayton Blommetjies.

should be announced around lunch, but I'd be shocked if the Munster side deviates from:

Loughman, Barron, Archer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne, O'Mahony, Coombes, Murray, Crowley, Daly, Fekitoa, Frisch, Nash, Haley

Only deviation I see is Earls in for Nash, but I'd rather keep Nash.
RG will be on bench to have impact and we need John H. Rest is spot on.

RG will be on bench to have impact and we need John H. Rest is spot on.
And confirmation of the same!

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Keith Earls.

Well earned for Hodnett. What a ******* player

Do it for Jeremy Loughman lads.

Class to see such a homegrown Munster team again actually. 17/23 (from my count) is some improvement on a few years ago, all us Leinster fans complaining about ye not trusting your youth must have made some noise! 😉

PSA: Everything I say about Munster surrounding this match will be a backhanded compliment. Blame your incredible traveling support last week, not me.

Edit: it's actually 15, still deec.

PSA: Everything I say about Munster surrounding this match will be a backhanded compliment. Blame your incredible traveling support last week, not me.
Oh I have no doubt the backhanded concern trolling from Leinster fans will be lovely if we win or lose.

I think we fielded a team with like 20 homegrown at some stage this season, although couldn't tell you who against.

Do it for Jeremy Loughman lads.

Class to see such a homegrown Munster team again actually. 17/23 (from my count) is some improvement on a few years ago, all us Leinster fans complaining about ye not trusting your youth must have made some noise! 😉

Edit: it's actually 15, still deec.
15 but still think we can claim major input also on Loughman, Salanoa and even Kleyn we had as much nurturing in.

Compared with Leinster last week who had 17 we are catching up in developing our own stock. And not bad as we don't have a great Schools pond to fish from at the moment.
Credit to all the grass root coaching over past few years.

Latest posts