• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA vs All Blacks - 01/11

I think we'll take this opportunity to play a very inexperienced/newish team. For that reason it would be surprise me if we won by anything more than 50 points. Will have to look at the lineup to properly judge.

Americans hate to lose, so if there's any hopes of this sport really catching on here somebody better buy a ref or three. ;)

I'm hoping that the USA puts in a decent showing, whatever the end result proves to be. Rugby is slowing gaining some ground here in the States. Fourteen years ago when I first started watching most people I mentioned the game to had no idea what I was talking about. At least now there's a general awareness of the sport, with growing interest on the high school level (before it was only played - for the most part - at college level). Hopefully this game will give rugby some great exposure here in the States.

And win or lose, there's no denying that the ABs are GREAT ambassadors for the sport. They will draw the crowds, and hopefully win some new hearts here the the ol' US of A.

das

My predicted team from earlier:

I think we'll probably see a match day 23 for the game against the USA resembling:
1 Moody
2 Harris
3 B Franks/Faumuina
4 Tuipulotu
5 Bird/Thrush
6 Luatua
7 Cane
8 Messam
9 Perenara
10 Barrett/Carter
11 Savea
12 Williams
13 Smith
14 Piutau
15 Dagg
16 Coles
17 Crockett
18 B Franks/Faumuina
19 Whitelock
20 Kaino
21 Pulu
22 Carter/Barrett
23 Fekitoa

Choice of captain could be very interesting.

Much like it was 'at least 60 points' last year against Japan?

Did i predict it would be 'at least 60 points' against Japan?

Pretty sure I didn't.

I didn't say it would be minimum 60 - it's a very real possibility that it will be a demolition job.
It all depends on how seriously the AB's take it - if they send out anything like a full strength side and go into it with a proper test mentality then **** could get ugly.

exactly.

I'm not being pessimistic here - as I say, the AB's in full flight thrashing the USA would be better as a tool for promotion than a half-baked error strewn performance IMO.

I think the Eagle's passion will be through the roof and that will count for a lot - hopefully they can keep a lid on it and not let it turn into errors.
If they can do that I think they will put in a performance that USA rugby fans will be proud of.

They simply don't have the backs to deal with the all blacks, their midfield is way way off the pace for this level and that's where it's going to be tough, and this will be different to playing against Japan/Canada/Ireland/NZ Maoris in a home hosted competition with lead a lead in camp and warm up games.

They leaked three tries against a poor Scotland, and the All Blacks will not be rocking up at a full stadium like that to do anything other than put them to the sword.

USA will come out up for it for but that will only get them so far before the AB's click into gear.

Maybe 60 is being a bit ungraceful so i'll temper it down a bit and say AB's to score 59.

agreed, whatever the result this is a special day for Rugby in a lot more ways than just the result.

That was a statement posted earlier by another poster, and one that was way off the mark. There's no way at all this gets close to 100 barring the ultimate worst USA performance ever.

just for the record, 60 is closer to 50 than 100.

Last edited:
I think it will be a thrashing for the USA and I wonder how much this will actually improve rugby in the USA, nobody likes to watch their team get demolished. Surely it would be more productive for the USA to play teams closer to their level?

It will be a thrashing but at least the fans get to see the world's number one team in action - and who doesn't enjoy the Haka? I've seen it for years without ever seeing Wales put out a victory against them but it gets me excited for the game every time, guaranteed. Glad to see Samu Manoa playing but it's a shame there's no Carlin Isles - is he 7s only still? Thought he had switched to union not so long ago?

Anyway here's hoping the game pushes up the profile of rugby in the USA and inspires the team to organize more international fixtures. And while it would make the contest even more one-sided, I hope NZ do send along a few of their A-listers - people pay to see the best players do what they do best, even if it means their own side gets a thrashing!

I think it will be a thrashing for the USA and I wonder how much this will actually improve rugby in the USA, nobody likes to watch their team get demolished. Surely it would be more productive for the USA to play teams closer to their level?

Well, the USA often play teams at their own level...

I think this is an exercise in marketing more than genuine player development. It's about getting exposure. I'm more exited watching the All Whites play a team like Argentina or Germany which we are sure to lose big but see the best players on display, rather than a more narrow loss to...Saint Vincent and the Grenadas (no joking they have a population of 100k and are actually rated above us...). In the context of rugby, even a win over Romania for example - how much is that going to interest the common American?

Would have to be Messam.

God, I hope not. I think after last test that would be a very odd choice.

I really would hope Daniel Carter was given captaincy - he missed out against Canada in 2011 and for a one off he'd really deserve it. If Read is playing it'll most likely go to him which is also a fair call, otherwise maybe Mealamu who has captained before.

My USA team:

1 Geno Atkins
2 Haloti Ngata
3 Vince Wilfork
4 Rob Gronkowski
5 Jimmy Graham
6 Patrick Willis
7 Vernon Davis
8 Julius Thomas
9 Peyton Manning (c)
10 Stephen Gostkowski
11 Demaryius Thomas
12 Adrian Peterson
13 DeMarco Murray
14 Calvin Johnson
15 Lesean McCoy

USA by 50

With my team that's possible :cool:

I think you need Von Miller and JJ Watt in that team.

Also...Peyton at scrum-half? Really?

Someone like Johnny Manziel would be fantastic in that USA all stars side.

Johnny at 10. Has a ring to it ;)

They simply don't have the backs to deal with the all blacks, their midfield is way way off the pace for this level and that's where it's going to be tough, and this will be different to playing against Japan/Canada/Ireland/NZ Maoris in a home hosted competition with lead a lead in camp and warm up games.

just for the record, 60 is closer to 50 than 100.

Firstly the reference to 100 was to some Japan predictions last year, sorry I didn't make that clear. The point regarding your post was that 60 as a given was too high given the circumstances behind the game, not that I rule it out but it's far from a formality of the All Blacks just turning up, just like it wasn't last year against a side of roughly similar strength.

Secondly, given the inaccuracies in this post you are hardly convincing to take much merit from your views here.

Please do inform me about these 'lead in camp and warm up games' you've completely made up. Who was the warm up game before they faced Ireland? Don't see how citing one particular game conceding 3 tries against Scotland backs up your point either. Japan conceded 6 tries against Scotland, by that same logic it should have been 'at least 60' there even easier.

I've never predicted they'd score 100 against Japan, why do you keep bringing it up in reference to me?

RE: camp/warm ups, it was an "and/or" statement sorry that you didn't understand, but it was written rather clumsily granted. In the June internationals such as when they play Japan in the PNC they will have been in camp leading up to it or will have played say Japan with possibly some PNC games behind them. They will be heading into this game completely cold.

I mean FFS they drew with Uruguay in the RWC qualifiers.

Like i said they don't have the backs to stand up to an AB's or even AB's (b) team, which is vastly different to playing a NZ maoris team that was no where near the strength of the current AB's squad, even then they leaked 3 tries to 1.

NZ score on average 25-30 points against the Tier 1 nations. Do you honestly think USA Eagles are half the strength of SA, Australia or England? They will be on the end of a pasting.

But you're right i'm being too flippant about the Eagles, i'll adjust my predicted score again to reflect your points.

The ab's to get around 58 points.

i just looked back at the end off year tests last year and to the japan v new zealand game and saw that and thought i should add it

I didn't join this forum until this year how was i posting in last years EOYT threads?

Can you link to where I predict the AB's will beat Japan by 100+ please?

Last edited:
I didn't join this forum until this year how was i posting in last years EOYT threads?

Can you link to where I predict the AB's will beat Japan by 100+ please?
i will need to find it ;) give me a couple off minutes :)

did you find it?

Because as i said i didn't join till feb, and i've checked the end of year tour concerning Japan vs All Blacks and there are no posts by me in it... so you and Psycho are either making it up or i can't find it.

Latest posts