• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Very) early thoughts on the 2017 Lions

Interestingly, or not, Hartley is the only hooker I have seen in ages legally throw the ball in with his feet outside the field of play! Maybe they changed the rules and did not spot it but soon they will be standing on the 5 meter line........

Outside the field of play, yes (although it's not something that I've picked up on), Legal, no. IIRC it was pointed out after the Ireland match that he was taking a step towards the England side of the lineout before throwing the ball in. I did notice it watching that game, but haven't in any other, maybe that says more about my observation skills than his play though!

That 2005 All Blacks side was just ridiculously good though. The lions team facing them was poorly organized and the selection was definitely off.

This time should be a bit more competitive hopefully!

I don't think the 2005 side were special, they were strong but not special. It was a dry time for Rugby world cups.
This year a new look side will be blooded for the AB's and by the time the Lions roll around a lot of the new talent will be bedded in and ready for the wonderful adventure that is a Lions tour.
I'll be at the first match in Whangarei, where the local 'Taniphas' will no doubt be slaughtered, but it will be a rare and special occasion.

I do agree that the selections for the 2005 Lions team left a lot to be desired. This time round they had better be on point or it's going to extremely difficult for the Lions when they visit the boneyard and cap it off in the Garden of Eden.

I don't think the 2005 side were special, they were strong but not special. It was a dry time for Rugby world cups.
This year a new look side will be blooded for the AB's and by the time the Lions roll around a lot of the new talent will be bedded in and ready for the wonderful adventure that is a Lions tour.
I'll be at the first match in Whangarei, where the local 'Taniphas' will no doubt be slaughtered, but it will be a rare and special occasion.

I do agree that the selections for the 2005 Lions team left a lot to be desired. This time round they had better be on point or it's going to extremely difficult for the Lions when they visit the boneyard and cap it off in the Garden of Eden.

Team selection was one issue along with the relatively poor form of the home nations at that time. Throw in Woodward's inability to create a togetherness within the squad along with some generally bizarre decision making and it was never going to end well.

Last edited:
Hi all, been stalking this forum for ages now and have finally bothered to log in!

Figured I'd give my Lions squad based on form but also one or two who I think are potentially too good to leave out.

1) Healy -hopefully at his best come 2017
2) Hartley
3) Nel
4) Itoje
5) Wyn Jones
6) Faletau
7) Hardie
8) B Vunipola
9) Whebb
10) Farrell
11) North
12) Slade
13) Tuilagi
14) Halfpenny
15) Hogg

16) Best
17) Dickinson
18) Lee
19) Kruis
20) Warburton
21) Murray
22) Biggar
23) Watson

Squad players: George, McGrath, Brookes, Gray, Charteris, Robshaw, Tipuric O'Brien, Youngs, Sexton, Nowell, Roberts, Henshaw, Zebo, Brown

Ideal squad for me:
1. McGrath
2. Hartley
3. Nel
4. Itoje
5. Wyn Jones
6. Faletau
7. Warburton
8. Vuniupola
9. Webb
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Joseph
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. George
17. Vunipola
18. Cole
19. Henderson
20. O'Brien
21. Murray
22. Sexton
23. Henshaw

Props:
Dickinson
Lee

Hookers:
Jamie George

Locks:
Kruis
Gray (Jonny)

Back Row:
Lydiate
Stander
Hardie

Scrum Halves:
Danny Care

Centres:
Davies (Jonathan)

Back Three:
Nowell
Seymour
Brown
Halfpenny

Last edited:
Assuming form and fitness:

1. Healy
2. Hartley (c)
3. Brookes
4. Kruis
5. AWJ
6. Itoje
7. O'Brien
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. Watson
15. 1/2 p

Captain's an interesting one. Won't be Best or Laidlaw. Unless Warbs plays more rugby and is much more consistent, it shouldn't be him......which leaves Hartley. And actually that might not be a bad call - he seems to have leadership qualities on and off the pitch and he won't have the extra burden of "best player" expectation. Of course it could be someone like AWJ who doesn't captain their country.

Assuming form and fitness:

1. Healy
2. Hartley (c)
3. Brookes
4. Kruis
5. AWJ
6. Itoje
7. O'Brien
8. Faletau
9. Webb
10. Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. Watson
15. 1/2 p

Captain's an interesting one. Won't be Best or Laidlaw. Unless Warbs plays more rugby and is much more consistent, it shouldn't be him......which leaves Hartley. And actually that might not be a bad call - he seems to have leadership qualities on and off the pitch and he won't have the extra burden of "best player" expectation. Of course it could be someone like AWJ who doesn't captain their country.
With the assumption of form and fitness surely Sexton is your 10?! Farrell has never been as good as Sexton is at 80% of his potential.

Farrell's the only 10 in the NH to have beaten the ABs.

Also I'm pretty sure the ABs have seen a loop pass before, so that's 50% of Sexton's game out the window.

:p

Also I'm pretty sure the ABs have seen a loop pass before, so that's 50% of Sexton's game out the window.

For now, The All Blacks will be travelling from Chicago to Dublin having forgotten how to tie their laces!! 2-0 guarunteed!

I also thought his "play acting" had been accepted as a delayed reaction by most? He'd been kneed in the head twice and then was flipped, required a good bit of attention from the physio too, he hasn't a history of that and he's had more chances than most to act!

That feeling when Brad Barritt and Tom Wood have beaten the all blacks more than BOD.

That feeling when Brad Barritt and Tom Wood have beaten the all blacks more than BOD.
I think it was that game that the All Blacks realised they'd have to inflict brain injuries to the oppositions best back and forward to beat a good NH side. Cian Healy and BOD were a couple years too late and France did it for them in the RWC. They're really just overrated and rely on luck and reputation, stats show that 98% of their wins are a direct result of the other team thinking they've actually shown up at a funeral by mistake.

- - - Updated - - -

#southernhemisphererugbyisntgood

I don't think Brad Barritt is as bad as many make out he is, but it's no lie that he was one of the....least talented attackers on the international scene.

Brad Barritt scored against the All Blacks.

Players like Rickey Flutey and Shontayne Hape have had to leave NZ to build a rugby career elsewhere.

Anyone watch Super rugby over the weekend. They certainly seemed to have taken that letter on taking contact out of the game to heart as I don't think I saw a single tackle made all weekend. Just look at that Western Force game! Looked like a game of schoolgirl handball if we're being honest. Next they'll replace goal kicking with bubble blowing and scrums with tickle fights.

Tackling has always been optional down under.
Pretty sure the Aussies have been petitioning the IRB to have tackling and scrums removed from the game for years.

Southern hemisphere teams conceded 82 points in the World Cup semis last year, Northern hemisphere teams conceded 0.

The Southern Hemisphere exists because the Northern Hemisphere willed it to be so. #wakeupsheeple #justmadeakiwihard #stillmoresolidthanasuperrugbydefence

Anyone watch Super rugby over the weekend. They certainly seemed to have taken that letter on taking contact out of the game to heart as I don't think I saw a single tackle made all weekend. Just look at that Western Force game! Looked like a game of schoolgirl handball if we're being honest. Next they'll replace goal kicking with bubble blowing and scrums with tickle fights.
Yeah, who wants to watch running rugby? Give me 30 hard men pummelling one another any day. ;)

Latest posts