• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

Great defensive display from Worsley. I think Halfpenny was the best attacker this afternoon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 14 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Worsley did all the dirty, ugly work though.
His tackles on Roberts were very effective. If he hadn't been there to make them, I bet we'd have scored more points. Worsley's earned his place imo.[/b]

I'm totally biased but I thought Joe was excellent throughout. Deserved MOM for me.

Andy Goode must DIE!!! AND SHAVE HIS HAIR OFF!!!

England lacked Discipline, we let the ref get to us even tho he was an utter cock, but you look at the number of penalties given away in our half and it the points difference would of been alot different...

Great Game of Rugby an improvement on last week, but Well Done Wales, your coaching setup is doing a superb job.

Hmmm, I predicted 25-13, dammit, I have all the right numbers in it, doesn't that count? :p

I don't take much pleasure in being right about my prediction at half-time. You only have to look at how the points were scored:
Wales: 6 pens 1 try
England: 0 pens, 2 tries, 1 dg
If you're going to go down that badly on the penalty count you're always going to be in trouble. Kaplan is a total waste of space and I hate watching him ref England games as he seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder about something. I didn't think Wales were all that special today and without Kaplan accentuating England's poor discipline we might well have won.

P.S. For anyone wondering why I'm referring to both England and Scotland as we, check back through my old posts, can't be bothered explaining it again... If it isn't there then it must be on a old version of the forum so take some creative guesses.

Bravo Wales bravo

I guess these guyzz are serious in their mind about winning RBS Six Nation this season too

Overall, fairly pleased with the performance.

We were obviously slightly below Wales in terms of absolute quality, but at 20-15 it only needed one break. To get to that point is credit enough for a team who're clearly struggling 'in transition' imo.

We've showed we're no mugs, we're also not very good but it was nice to see us test Wales.

Epic game. Thats one great game a weekend now which is an improvement :)

Wales are starting to learn that elusive art of closing out games. The crowd seemed to panic but Wales didn't which kind of shows how far the team have progressed ahead of the fans expectations. How they'd fare against the tighter and cleaner Irish pack at the breakdown and the more reliable boot of O'Gara I'm not sure.

Roberts was taken down a peg or three this evening and wasn't given even an inch of room to do his fast & agile thang but it was the way he responded which will earn him a Lions place: hard yards and lots of grunt which made him look great.

I was cheered up by England but they're killing themselves with their obsession with gifting penalties and not taking theirs. When you add up their chances at goal including the missed conversion and thats 11 points they missed out. If Goode and then Flood had kept their heads England would have closed out the game. You simply cannot do that against Wales who will just punish, punish and then punish you again and punish Wales did.

Worsley was actually pretty good (for a change) but he'll be dire the moment he steps out against Ireland or France. Armitage I thought was much better than he has been since his debut and seems a lot more confident when running, ditto Flutey but this is pointless if England insist on hoofing the ball away.

In the end, fantastic game but the best team won. Game on for a Wales vs Ireland decider!

well one good thing to come out of this, assuming we get the win tomorrow is that we won't be complacent when it comes to taking on England at Croke Park. Hopefully that will have stopped the likes of Bowe looking ahead to a potential decider, there's too much to come in between.

If Wales and Ireland get a ref who is just as strict/dodgy at the breakdown as Kaplan was this evening, Wales might get hit by the double whammy of an incredibly streetwise Ireland pack and a strict ref. Martyn Williams it seemed to me at times didn't quite get the handle on Kaplan during the game and at times got caught out as result.

Ireland keep it as clean as they did against France and I'd put them ahead of Wales.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingwilko @ Feb 15 2009, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
P.S. For anyone wondering why I'm referring to both England and Scotland as we, check back through my old posts, can't be bothered explaining it again... If it isn't there then it must be on a old version of the forum so take some creative guesses.[/b]
Born in Berwick? Body of a bull-dog, head shaped like a haggis?

Wales again in danger of losing, but they held their nerve even better this time. Impressed with their scrum and lineout, but they're not yet a great side.

England beginning to motor, can see them getting better with each game. Could be in with a shout at the end, because their scoring diffs against Italy mightn't be matched by anyone else.

Ryan Jones had a good one, but I guess Worzles made the biggest difference out of both today's matches. Halfpenny is merely a back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 14 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If Wales and Ireland get a ref who is just as strict/dodgy at the breakdown as Kaplan was this evening, Wales might get hit by the double whammy of an incredibly streetwise Ireland pack and a strict ref. Martyn Williams it seemed to me at times didn't quite get the handle on Kaplan during the game and at times got caught out as result.

Ireland keep it as clean as they did against France and I'd put them ahead of Wales.[/b]

we've got Barnes for that one so Lord knows what we can expect.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 14 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Ireland keep it as clean as they did against France and I'd put them ahead of Wales.[/b]

if Wales come into that match going for a slam than I don't see Ireland doing anything to stop them, their self belief will see them through.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 14 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Born in Berwick? Body of a bull-dog, head shaped like a haggis?[/b]

I can't believe you got both the reasons first guess. :eek:
It caused a few comments in the user pictures thread too.

First things first, well played England, much improved performance.

But christ, from my seat in the pub (after a few pints I might add), I thought Caplan wasn't even trying to ref ruck time, England were coming in off their feet, diving over the ball and preventing ball coming back Wales' way on numerous occasions. I'm sorry if it was the booze infected one sidedness from me, but I thought he was hugel;y biased towards England in the second half. Wales were basically getting pinged all the time for not releasing, even though England players weren't standing on their feet!

I thought Wales thoroughly deserved the win, was closer than it should have been in the end, but it's always good to be tested, we would have lost that game a few year ago, nice to see we have what it takes to close out a game.

Latest posts