• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

Ok, so you want a number 8 who runs forward, doesn't change direction and doesn't get tackled?

Where's Lomu-from-the-90's gone? We need him at no.8!

I want a number 8 that does his job.

Like him or loathe him, Powell largely did his job last night.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Feb 16 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
England really impressed me. I thought they were going to go out there and play negative rugby, but instead they really took the game to us.[/b]
Yeah, I was expecting an RWC return to the set-piece game. But they got things going, just couldn't keep their rhythm.

Fair dues to Johnson. Some surprises to come in his selection for the rest of the championship? Anyone outside the golden* circle of halfbacks who might be worth a go?

*Investments can go down as well as up, no responsibility accepted by Management. Anyone has a problem with that, tough ****. Guarantee void in Tennessee.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 15 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Remember John.

Total rugby is an illusion...[/b]

Funnily enough I was thinking about the concept of total rugby earlier today.

Basically Powell is a decent 8 but ok , compare him to Wallace or Heaslip. He just doesn't really have that run straight impact effect.

Wallace is one of the best backrow forwards with ball in hand in the world because he is so effective.. I think Powell just huffs and puffs.. but then i check..and see my house is still intact?..

Lions could very well be 6-Jones, 8-Heaslip, 7- Wallace or 6 Jones, 8 Wallace, 7 Williams. but no powell

Id personally play Wallace at 6 for the Lions, he is a good runner with the ball who is also street wise!

but he plays so little at 6, I think Jones will get 6..

only stand out player who will definitely definitely be on the lions for me is O'Connell and it's honestly not because he's irish but just looking at him today, he is immense in every aspect of his game

Not sure why people have suddenly got on Powell's back after a couple of good (not excellent) performances. Remember, he destroyed all of South Africa, New Zealand and Austrailia in the Autumn, not to mention some sublime club form for the Cardiff Blues, helping them to a clean sweep in the HC pool stages!

Yes, after the first two games of the 6nations Heaslip has put himself into contention, but to disregard a player of Powell's ability is rediculous. Some have said 'where has he been for the last few years?', he's been injured, constantly. This really is his longest run of injury free rugby since the Warriors days.

JohnBE, no way Wallace would be ahead of him at 8, what an absolutely rediculous statement, get off your high horse and admit theres players other than Irish who are good! Walace is in contention for the no7 jersey, it's pretty close between him and Williams.

Okay, maybe we're getting a bit carried away here. While I think John is wrong, he didn't really say that there are no other players that are as good as Irish ones..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 16 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Okay, maybe we're getting a bit carried away here. While I think John is wrong, he didn't really say that there are no other players that are as good as Irish ones..[/b]

Remove Irish and say "Munster", then I'm getting flashbacks of John circa the AIs.

well you'll find that many many people think Wallace is a better 8 than he is a 7 and if we had a really good seven, you'd be seeing wallace at 8.

Take for example his game at 8 against Sale, in sale.. he hasn't played much at 8 but he's brilliant there.

Wallace isn't your typical 8 but he constantly gets over the gain line and is very good off the back of the scrum.

I don't have an irish complex but I am a huge wallace fan, he's very underrated and always always plays well...

I think Wales are actually a better team than ireland and Ryan Jones is a cracking 8/6 and Stevey Jones is the best outhalf in europe en ce moment

and of course shane williams.. but Bowe is miles better than him:)

Fair enough John, I can see where you are coming from. I also rate Wallace, he's a great player.

Should be a great game in Cardiff on the last week of the 6nations. Wouldn't it be awesome if both teams were going for the Grand Slam?

yes it would..however Ireland would lose

it would be a very interesting game because with wales you have more "total rugby" but with ireland it's more "set peice" rugby...

Opposites but yet both do bring out some very good play.. I think you guys will have some trouble with the french, I don't think they're going to play as badly as they did against scotland again

Yup, it's gonna be a tough game. Should be a cracker though, hopefully Shane, Henson and Roberts will be fit.

Forgot to mention till now, very impressed with Rees' display, probably his best display for Wales.

Didn't see Wallace at all today. Not one of his best games.

He confuses me a lot. Sometimes he scraps around on the floor like a proper 7. Other times he is very physical like an 8. He doesn't seem to be able to do both at the same time... on the occasions he does, he is the best player on the park.

So in that sense he could play any one of the back row positions for the Lions. But given that Martyn Williams plays 7 and Powell/ Heaslip plays 8, then he's got to go for 6.

And based purely on the 2 rounds of 6 Nations matches we've had, he's not been the best 6 the Lions have available. *Haskell*

That's funny, I thought Wallace was excellent today... But then I'm still drunk from Saturday night so what do I know, eh?!!

Wallace had another excellent game again today, I've no time for anyone who said he didn't last week, it's not the job of a seven to be the main ball carrier in your backrow, admiittedly he was better in this regard today but it's promising to see him playing much more like an openside and seriously posing a problem for McGeechan.

Also his natural game is far more suited to no.8 but since he won't play there at international level it's not gonna be an option for the Lions.

Latest posts