• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 15 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He constantly made the gain line, and why does he need to offload? Powell took 2-3 England players with him everytime which is just as good as an offload![/b]
Hey I wasnt attacking Powell. I like the guy. I was just pointing out how you can read statistics in many different ways.

As for the offloads. Come on ......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 15 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 15 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He constantly made the gain line, and why does he need to offload? Powell took 2-3 England players with him everytime which is just as good as an offload![/b]
Hey I wasnt attacking Powell. I like the guy. I was just pointing out how you can read statistics in many different ways.

As for the offloads. Come on ......
[/b][/quote]

Im just addressing that from where I was sitting I was just telling you that Powell each time he ran at England he took 2-3 players with him, which is vital if you think of it in terms of defence!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 16 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 15 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 15 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked the stats on Powell, 17 carries, making 107 metres, that's pretty impressive for a bad day at the office.[/b]
Dont get me wrong, I like Powell but how many of those started and stayed behind the gain line. Every kick off he'd get 6-7 yards, run into contact and be taken down, same for ball received in the midfield. The distance he runs is not very important if he doesnt break the gain line and I dont recall too many offloads.

This is just a reflection on the England game though. Hes a damn good player but England shut him down pretty effeectively with the double tackles.
[/b][/quote]

He constantly made the gain line, and why does he need to offload? Powell took 2-3 England players with him everytime which is just as good as an offload!
[/b][/quote]
No way. An offload can take out half the defence at one go. Ask anyone named Williams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 15 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Feb 16 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 15 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 15 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked the stats on Powell, 17 carries, making 107 metres, that's pretty impressive for a bad day at the office.[/b]
Dont get me wrong, I like Powell but how many of those started and stayed behind the gain line. Every kick off he'd get 6-7 yards, run into contact and be taken down, same for ball received in the midfield. The distance he runs is not very important if he doesnt break the gain line and I dont recall too many offloads.

This is just a reflection on the England game though. Hes a damn good player but England shut him down pretty effeectively with the double tackles.
[/b][/quote]

He constantly made the gain line, and why does he need to offload? Powell took 2-3 England players with him everytime which is just as good as an offload!
[/b][/quote]
No way. An offload can take out half the defence at one go. Ask anyone named Williams.
[/b][/quote]

But you dont seem to understand that Powell's role in the Welsh team is to run hard first and run at the strong boys and then look for the offload! Again ill repeat he takes out 2-3 defenders at a time which proves to be effecitve and shows the role he plays is effective for the game Wales plays.

I'm sorry but I'll side with Cymro. We all seem to be seduced by the ever impossible dream of total rugby, that everyone can offload like Ma Nonu and can run as fast as Shane Williams and tackle as hard as Schalk Burger.

EDIT: Sometimes, players can be a credit by doing a few things incredibly well. By crashing, banging and walloping and causing chaos in the thick of it players like Powell fulfil their purpose.

Ok I think I phrased my criticism of Powell wrong.

Basically, he's a great player who still did a great job on Saturday.

My point was that in the Autumn he was world class. Now he looks merely good.. 4 stars as opposed to 5. So if he's to hold on to the reputation he gained in the Autumn he needs a big game. Unfortunately for him, his Lions spot atm is being seriously challenged by Heaslip who looks marginally better atm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 15 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok I think I phrased my criticism of Powell wrong.

Basically, he's a great player who still did a great job on Saturday.

My point was that in the Autumn he was world class. Now he looks merely good.. 4 stars as opposed to 5. So if he's to hold on to the reputation he gained in the Autumn he needs a big game. Unfortunately for him, his Lions spot atm is being seriously challenged by Heaslip who looks marginally better atm.[/b]

For me Heaslip at 8 for the Lions have never looked in doubt to be honest! I rate Heaslip higher than Powell!

Never? Since when? I never thought he would be a Lions Test player based on his performances in Blue this year. Totally different animal in the last few weeks though!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 16 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sorry but I'll side with Cymro. We all seem to be seduced by the ever impossible dream of total rugby, that everyone can offload like Ma Nonu and can run as fast as Shane Williams and tackle as hard as Schalk Burger.

EDIT: Sometimes, players can be a credit by doing a few things incredibly well. By crashing, banging and walloping and causing chaos in the thick of it players like Powell fulfil their purpose.[/b]
What is this prejudice against Total Rugby (pronounced like Arnie Schwarz)?

The idea is to get enough movement to shiver the timbers of the defence until the waters come flooding in. Wales know all about it.

Nonu has improved, but he's still a crasher.

Ireland and Italy did plenty of crash today, but the only light relief came from interceptions and ... offloads.

Embrace the offload. Let the sun shine on your dark, damp, draughty life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 15 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Never? Since when? I never thought he would be a Lions Test player based on his performances in Blue this year. Totally different animal in the last few weeks though![/b]

When I saw him for Leinster this year and from what I have been told by Irish mates they have raved about it and to be fair this bloke is quick, strong and does the basics well!!!

Heaslip would be my choice. Just insane power.Attach a bus to him and he'll just keep on motoring...

I dunno why everyone is talking about Worsley doing a number on Wales. The "Roberts marking" took him away from being a proper flanker where England gave away 18 points and 2 yellow cards, because Goode and Tindall had to do what Worsley didn't do. Also Roberts had a break which led to points, so Worsley didn't even excute that perfectly either. My MoM would have gone to Gethin or Goughie.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SmokeyMonkey @ Feb 16 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dunno why everyone is talking about Worsley doing a number on Wales. The "Roberts marking" took him away from being a proper flanker where England gave away 18 points and 2 yellow cards, because Goode and Tindall had to do what Worsley didn't do. Also Roberts had a break which led to points, so Worsley didn't even excute that perfectly either. My MoM would have gone to Gethin or Goughie.[/b]
Good point. But you're probably going by stats too much - doesn't take account of the rhythm of play, what you see with your own eyes.

:lol:

Ok, i want to put in my 2 cents.
England really impressed me. I thought they were going to go out there and play negative rugby, but instead they really took the game to us.
We were the better team at the end of the day, but the indiscipline was what made england look bad more than anything else. Then again, had they not conceded two yellow cards, who's to say how many tries we would have had at the end of the game.
But, come final whistle, England had nothing to be ashamed about (unlike against italy). They faught hard, kept us down to only 1 try and minimised our point scoring by doing anything they could and refused to be on the end of a hiding like so many said they would.
I was f***ing relieved at the end of that game, because i sat down to that match confident we would win - but i enjoyed the rollercoaster ride even more.

The guy runs forward.
That's his tactic.
I don't think he understands the meaning of "lateral".

no i think i do. he tries to run forward and ends up running up and down the pitch..or get taken down..

Powell is a one trick pony and the other teams know him now, you won't see him playing like he did in the autumn internationals

Latest posts