• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

If Roberts were to be dropped for Henson to come in at 12 that would be an absolute farce, no need to change the centre pairing based on what we saw on Sunday.

Dont worry about who plays centre against England as you are not gonna see the ball anyway.My prediction wales 12 England 18. **** game, great result. That would do me.

Well it's more of a wind-up rather than 'blind optimism'.
England won't even turn up to the game; they'll claim the pitch was a degree too cold for their liking, or something alone those lines.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 11 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
blind optimism at it's finest, you're not per chance John Wells in disguise??? :p ;)[/b]
Yeah I may be? But Im a proud Englishman and Im fed up of all this back-biting against the team. Look the team is picked and there is f*** all we can do about it. Im going to watch the game in Wales and I am fully behind Johnson and England. The odds are stacked against us but we can do it. Mark my words, if England win on Saturday every Welsh member (exept Cyril-cos he`s sound) will be getting vebal hell from me on Sunday(or I may be quiet a mouse)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 12 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 11 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blind optimism at it's finest, you're not per chance John Wells in disguise??? :p ;)[/b]
Yeah I may be? But Im a proud Englishman and Im fed up of all this back-biting against the team. Look the team is picked and there is f*** all we can do about it. Im going to watch the game in Wales and I am fully behind Johnson and England. The odds are stacked against us but we can do it. Mark my words, if England win on Saturday every Welsh member (exept Cyril-cos he`s sound) will be getting vebal hell from me on Sunday(or I may be quiet a mouse)
[/b][/quote]
Agree. Last time England were written off like this on the forum - by England posters (you know who you are) - they beat Aus in RWC.

I'm not hoping for an Eng win, because the only entertainment they've given lately is when they get smashed and stagger about in confusion before puking up at the corner flag with their knickers around their ankles.

But their set piece can upset Gatland's plans.

If Wales smash them like Ireland did two years ago, then good on Wales. But Gatland's "resting players" excuse for the last quarter of the Scots match is bewlox. I won't stand for it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Feb 11 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
to be fair, the main reasons we took our foot off the pedal was that Gatland made loads of subs to rest his key players ready for the England, and the injury to Shane Williams didn't help, with Powell having to go to no.12 to make up the numbers. Plus the game was won, and won well, so the players went off steam because of it, so I really wouldn't use it as an example of how they''re gonna play against England.[/b]
I don't buy that. If Wales are the real deal, their subs would have turned the screw.

The game wasn't won, and Wales were at serious risk of losing. If Paterson had got the ball down ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Feb 11 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to be fair, the main reasons we took our foot off the pedal was that Gatland made loads of subs to rest his key players ready for the England, and the injury to Shane Williams didn't help, with Powell having to go to no.12 to make up the numbers. Plus the game was won, and won well, so the players went off steam because of it, so I really wouldn't use it as an example of how they''re gonna play against England.[/b]
I don't buy that. If Wales are the real deal, their subs would have turned the screw.

The game wasn't won, and Wales were at serious risk of losing. If Paterson had got the ball down ...
[/b][/quote]

they were 18 points up at the time if memory serves, so of course the game was won.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 11 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah I may be? But Im a proud Englishman and Im fed up of all this back-biting against the team. Look the team is picked and there is f*** all we can do about it. Im going to watch the game in Wales and I am fully behind Johnson and England. The odds are stacked against us but we can do it. Mark my words, if England win on Saturday every Welsh member (exept Cyril-cos he`s sound) will be getting vebal hell from me on Sunday(or I may be quiet a mouse)[/b]

Damn good post. I think your mad obviously, but still good to see a bit of fightin spirit. That level of unfounded optimism sounds like me talking about Ireland for .... well for the past 5 years i suppose.

It still feels weird thinking of England as underdogs against any of the home nations, but given the hype following Wales around (not all of their making), its hard not to be rooting for ...... hmmmm ...... a close game.

Damn no matter how hard I try i just cant say it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Feb 11 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

they were 18 points up at the time if memory serves, so of course the game was won.
[/b][/quote]
Put me right where I go wrong, but 7 points from Paterson would have left another 7 to win.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Put me right where I go wrong, but 7 points from Paterson would have left another 7 to win.
[/b][/quote]

so yeah I'm wrong but they were 20 points up on 60 mins when the subs came on, the game was won, they got complacent, I'm not making excuses for something which happened.

Wales have named Shane Williams and Andy Powell to face England, but they must pass fitness tests on Friday.

Skipper Ryan Jones returns at flanker after being passed fit following a calf injury, taking over from Dafydd Jones.

Williams sprained an ankle in the 26-13 win over Scotland on Sunday and Powell is the latest Wales scare after pulling up with a calf strain on Thursday.

Gavin Henson failed to overcome a calf problem so Jamie Roberts and Tom Shanklin remain in midfield.

If International Rugby Board player of the year Williams does not fully recover, Mark Jones, who has not been named among the replacements, will take over on the wing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7878369.stm

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny, Tom Shanklin, Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones (Ospreys, captain), Martyn Williams, Andy Powell (Blues).
Replacements: Huw Bennett (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), Dafydd Jones (Scarlets), Dwayne Peel (Sale), James Hook, Andrew Bishop (Ospreys).

I assume that Daffyd Jones would come back in if Powell is ruled out with Ryan Jones playing at no.8?

Right, now we know the teams, England have a chance to really prove themselves.

England haven't been a good team since 2003... but what we have been good at up until recently, is bringing a big physical challenge, and bullying our way to victories against better sides (the RWC is the best example of that).

Now, England have lacked a potent backline for 6 years... we've not played attractive rugby at all, and the likes of Noon and Tindall have played frequently.

But what has become most depressing for us over the past season has been the way in which we've lost that bullying edge in the forwards. If we still had that, we'd be giving ourselves a chance. Obviously we cannot match the class that Wales have in the backs, but we've usually found a way to muddle through by dominating in the scrums and grinding the opposition down through the forwards. This season we've been bereft of any kind of bite upfront.

Sheridan is rugby's Steve Harmison; and when he's not working then our scrum has not been able to dominate like it used to.

And in the back 5 we've missed a real enforcer. He was very underestimated during his time as captain, but we are yet to replace Martin Corry, as a lead-from-the-front player more than anything else.

So Saturday is a real oppurtunity for England's forwards to prove the doubters wrong. Wales' pack is becoming increasingly proficient; most notably in scrummaging but also in physicality. England should have a better lineout; we have the tools for a better scrum (even though the opposite looks likely)... all that remains is for the likes of Borthwick, Haskell, Worsley and Easter to really front up and bully the Welsh. And what better incentive when everyone is gushing over the skills of Wyn-Jones, Powell and Ryan Jones?

The sides Johnson has picked offer us nothing new in terms of a big change in mindset in spite of all the hopes and expectations of England fans; it is clear he wants England to start winning ugly, and maybe then he will start by throwing in the fancy dans in the backline. But the key will be our forward pack becoming a pack of bullies once more.

Unless this happens, we'll continue exactly as we're going on, because they refuse to pick anyone in the team who would add another dimension should Plan A not work.

Like the look of that side. Same as last week and we should have little trouble, unless England find the revelation that they need and front up.
As GG said, their pack would normally be the big threat - has been for the past 3 years - but I think we're better off in the forwards and backs on recent form. As I said, unless England front up, it could be very one-sided.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

so yeah I'm wrong but they were 20 points up on 60 mins when the subs came on, the game was won, they got complacent, I'm not making excuses for something which happened.
[/b][/quote]
Jeez, no 6N game is won on 60 mins. You're thinking of the ABs. Wales aren't there ... yet!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Jeez, no 6N game is won on 60 mins. You're thinking of the ABs. Wales aren't there ... yet!
[/b][/quote]

You'd be hard pushed to find a team that has thrown away a 20 point lead with 20 mins left in a championship match, none springs to mind.

Latest posts