• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v England

I think Worsley at 7 could be ok, fair enough you don't have a recognized fetcher 7 on the field, but he's a good tackler, he'll be able to handle the likes of Powell running at full tilt down the 10/12 channel and it's better than seeing Artmatige literally trounced by Martyn Williams work in the ruck and the likes of the aforementioned Number 8 who would be smashing into him at every set piece.

What England need to do at scrum time is win (first and formost) and use a lot of pick-up moves from Haskell or Easter to keep the back row out of play, or at least 1 of them, manage some quick recycle and go for gold from there.

Wales will most likely dominate, although it could be a close battle pointwise.

Roberts vs Tindall will be an interesting battle, I hope Tindall gets a chance to show off his kicking game as well, however, it could end up being an afternoon of those two smashing into each other, both harboring injuries by the end of the game.

This should be an interesting game though.

I can see England dominating us lineout time, but after last weeks performance (lost 1 I think, as well as stealing a Scotland throw) we might do ok there. The scrum should be pretty even imo, I don't rate Sheridan as a prop that can destroy scrums (legaly anyway), and none of the props there are pushovers, so both sides will win decent ball, 2-3 collapses on every scrum though (Sheridan and Adam Jones like to play silly buisness).

After that, I see the breakdown going Wales' way, as we have the only natural 7 on the field, and we've been generating quick ball wheras England haven't.

So overall, Wales should edge it up front from previous form, and the teams selected. After that, Wales' backs are clearly superior (even if Shane doesn't make it), so without being arrogant, a Wales win by 10+ is a reasonable prediction!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 13 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 11 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Feb 11 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to be fair, the main reasons we took our foot off the pedal was that Gatland made loads of subs to rest his key players ready for the England, and the injury to Shane Williams didn't help, with Powell having to go to no.12 to make up the numbers. Plus the game was won, and won well, so the players went off steam because of it, so I really wouldn't use it as an example of how they''re gonna play against England.[/b]
I don't buy that. If Wales are the real deal, their subs would have turned the screw.

The game wasn't won, and Wales were at serious risk of losing. If Paterson had got the ball down ...
[/b][/quote]

they were 18 points up at the time if memory serves, so of course the game was won.
[/b][/quote]
Put me right where I go wrong, but 7 points from Paterson would have left another 7 to win.
[/b][/quote]

so yeah I'm wrong but they were 20 points up on 60 mins when the subs came on, the game was won, they got complacent, I'm not making excuses for something which happened.
[/b][/quote]
Jeez, no 6N game is won on 60 mins. You're thinking of the ABs. Wales aren't there ... yet!
[/b][/quote]

You'd be hard pushed to find a team that has thrown away a 20 point lead with 20 mins left in a championship match, none springs to mind.
[/b][/quote]
It didn't spring to Gatland's mind. Maybe he was wrong.

I saw an article on Rugby World today, and it was about how Gatland has apparently sussed out the calls and codes that England use for set-piece by listening to recordings of match audio.

Well to fair, i think i can figure them out without the audio. They are:

set-plays:

sh1tfcukrape: Ellis goes alone from base of ruck.
crashturd: Noon crash ball.
crashturdmiss: Miss pass to Noon and crashball.
crashturdrepeat: Just keep giving it to Noon.
retardball: Run around like demeted sheep.
oxfamball: Give ball back to opponent asap.
teabagball: Ellis slow ball while ellis has a cup of tea, with some biscuits. Possibly digestives.
fatwelderball: Ellis rolls around at base of ruck like an upside-down turtle.
hotpotatoball: Knock the ball on after 3 passes and hope to win a scrum instead.
scapegoatball: Hospital pass to *insertpromisingnewcaphere*
sackeyball: Hope for the best.
anonymousball: Give to Flutey.

The English will probably like this, but I was more worried about Powell out. Jones hasn't the class of Shane but will still do a good job.

A couple of years ago, loosing Shane would have been a ****, now were fu**ed kinda moment. But with the likes of Halfpenny, Mark Jones and Tom James waiting in the wings it aint as much of a blow, though loosing our 'world player of the year' is always gonna discrupt somewhat.

We should be fine without him, Mark is one of the best defensive wings in the world imo, and give him some space, he'll finish some moves off (though nowhere neer the level of Shane). Wonder if Halfpenny will move to the left wing and Mark slip in on the right, or will it be a direct swap?

Yeh, me too. Though it would be interesting to see if Mark got into the game more on the left wing! Some have pointed out Shanklin's left to right pass is weak, and he tends to take contact instead of giving the pass, limiting the opportunities on the right wing. Anyone think there's any truth in this, or is Mark Jones' try shortage for Wales solely down to him?

Edit: just wanted to add that mark Jones' finishing used to be lethal, a certain try v Fiji comes to mind!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 13 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I saw an article on Rugby World today, and it was about how Gatland has apparently sussed out the calls and codes that England use for set-piece by listening to recordings of match audio.

Well to fair, i think i can figure them out without the audio. They are:

set-plays:

sh1tfcukrape: Ellis goes alone from base of ruck.
crashturd: Noon crash ball.
crashturdmiss: Miss pass to Noon and crashball.
crashturdrepeat: Just keep giving it to Noon.
retardball: Run around like demeted sheep.
oxfamball: Give ball back to opponent asap.
teabagball: Ellis slow ball while ellis has a cup of tea, with some biscuits. Possibly digestives.
fatwelderball: Ellis rolls around at base of ruck like an upside-down turtle.
hotpotatoball: Knock the ball on after 3 passes and hope to win a scrum instead.
scapegoatball: Hospital pass to *insertpromisingnewcaphere*
sackeyball: Hope for the best.
anonymousball: Give to Flutey.[/b]

brings back memories of the English arrogance to use the Lions lineout calls in the Ireland England match 8 years ago.

Johnson seems to be going for the double bluff, saying thay they're confident in their line-out,and they'll be fine. and going on to say that if you had them why would you say? It's a fair point.

Fortunately I shall be on the train back from Irish vs Quins when this game happens so I won't be there to witness the bad news. But my gf is going to be in for a very depressing night if we get a stuffing.

Woke up at 6am for my shift with a banging hangover...

...so not looking forward to 5:30pm, the rec room is going to be like a feckin' cell so I may just p*ssy out and watch France vs Scotland.

To be honest, if Shane Williams, Mark Jones, Ryan Jones and Martyn Williams were injured then you may have to start worrying. But right now? Nah, just enough quality to tide you guys over to the next game.

I assume the roof is going to be open for this one given that Johnson doesn't want it closed and both teams have to agree to it.

Leave it open.. the aliens are watching this one and will miss the laughs if it's closed.

Actually, if we went to sell the sport to the Aliens froM Xeno or whatever the hell the Scientology cult call them, shouldn't we keep the roof closed and wait for Wales vs France or something?

Latest posts