• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v France

So, the back three will consist of Heymans with Clerc and Malzieu the wingers? Centres will probably be Damien Traille and Jauzion, and half -backs Ellisalde and Trinh-Duc. If we can eliminate the threat that Clerc and Heymans pose and Martyn Williams and Ryan Jones dominate the back row department, then we'll win comfortably in my opinion.

Damn you guys are optimistic :) You dont actually expect to starve the French of posession do you?

France have picked a team to win the game. They wont get near the 20 points margin, but they could certainly win the game.

After last weeks game, I think every person in Wales (Bar the boring pessimistic people) expects the Grand Slam to return to Cardiff on Saturday. I just don't see how the French will beat us; the only thing bugging me about this game is that we have never beat France in the Millenium Stadium.
I can't wait to see Shane Williams face off against Clerc, myself, as I assume Malzieu will be put on in no.11.

The last team France played in the Millenium was also full of confidence, and nobody expected them to lose (although there was a precedent). Everybody knows what happened...

So, the back three will consist of Heymans with Clerc and Malzieu the wingers? Centres will probably be Damien Traille and Jauzion, and half -backs Ellisalde and Trinh-Duc. If we can eliminate the threat that Clerc and Heymans pose and Martyn Williams and Ryan Jones dominate the back row department, then we'll win comfortably in my opinion. [/b]
Tempting fate ... people may have to come after you with pitchforks. Don't forget, England were comfortably on their way to thrashing Wales a few weeks ago.

Yeh, but since when did a game that occured a month and a half ago have any bearing on what'll happen this Saturday? :huh:

Lets not kid ourselves Wales are the only decent team in the 6 nations and they will thrash France. Its a no-brainer.

So he's gone for 6 changes, to be honest I don't think anything is going to stop Wales this weekend but there you go.

Backs: Cedric Heymans, Anthony Floch, Julien Malzieu, Vincent Clerc, Damien Traille, Yannick Jauzion, David Skrela, Francois Trinh-Duc, Jean-Baptiste Elissalde, Dimitri Yachvili.
Forwards: Fabien Barcella, Jean-Baptiste Poux, Nicolas Mas, William Servat, Dimitri Szarzewski, Jerome Thion, Lionel Nallet, Arnaud Mela, Julien Bonnaire, Thierry Dusautoir, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Elvis Vermeulen [/b]
It looks like a strong French squad. Wouldn't mind seeing the French XV looking like this;

Fabien Barcella, William Servat, Jean-Baptiste Poux, Jerome Thion, Lionel Nallet, Thierry Dusautoir, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Elvis Vermeulen, Jean-Baptiste Elissalde, Francois Trinh-Duc, Yannick Jauzion, Damien Traille (would rather have young David), Julien Malzieu, Vincent Clerc, Anthony Floch / Cedric Heymans (can't choose which one would be better)

This game is going to be another classic, just like when Wales beat France in Paris during their Grand Slam year. Wales will have too much for France. Even if France pull off a win, I can't see them winning by 20 points or more. Although this is France we are talking about, I'm sure all New Zealander's remember the 2007 Quater-Final and also the 1999 Semi-Final. Wales' defence has been fantastic all through the Six Nations and I'm sure England will be kicking themselves by only offering Shaun Edwards a coaching job with the England Saxons. The French Midfield will put up a stronger attack than the centre partnerships of the other nations, but I am confident Shanklin and Henson will contain Jauzion and Traille. Both wings and fullbacks for France and Wales are going to be extremely strong. Williams against Malzieu will be interesting, as well as Clerc against Jones, and Bryne against Heymans or Floch.

Wales to win by 5 points, 36-31 in the end.

They wont get near the 20 points margin, but they could certainly win the game. [/b]

If France win they'll have to pay for for psychiatrists for 3m straight jacketed welshmen dragged through the streets of Cardiff gibbering 'The Grand Slam is ours, precious! It came to ussss!' :wall:

I'm going with Scrum V's Johnny Smith on this one.

Wales to lose.

On the principle that you can't have everything you want at once.

On the principle that you can't have everything you want at once. [/b]

I heard that people going to the match will be given cakes, and they'll be eating them too.

A Grand Slam is more than we could have asked for two months ago but isn't the be all and end all of rugby. It's just a good platform to try and compete with the southern nations, and hopefully get out of the pool stages of a world cup. :p

Lets not kid ourselves Wales are the only decent team in the 6 nations and they will thrash France. Its a no-brainer. [/b]

Actually Wales AND France are the only decent teams in this 6 Nations. Except England every french game were pretty solid and promising. It's the same thing for Wales... but they got a better second half against England !

This will be the first time this year that a full strenght french side will be on the field... the last time these two teams met at the Millenium, France won 34-7 with their second team. Ok, this is a Grand Slam decider not a warmup match, and Wales is not the team we saw at the World Cup... but I think these two teams are very close on the paper. France will not won the tournament but everything is possible. This is by far the most exciting game of this poor tournament !

anything is possible with the french... but im finding it hard to see anything other than a welsh win... let alone france handing our asses to us by 20 pts...

anything is possible with the french... but im finding it hard to see anything other than a welsh win... let alone france handing our asses to us by 20 pts...

[/b]

I remember ten years ago attending a match in Wembley, Wales - France, Ntamack was playing then. The Welsh were then trashed.

This time it should be different I think Wales will win. If France wins the difference won't be that big anyway and the ***le will be hence for Wales whichever team wins this test match.

Lets not kid ourselves Wales are the only decent team in the 6 nations and they will thrash France. Its a no-brainer. [/b]

Do you think Wales would be in a Slam contender position if they had selected around 4 new caps in each game ? I don't think so. We haven't seen a full strength french line-up yet.

Do you think Wales would be in a Slam contender position if they had selected around 4 new caps in each game ? I don't think so. We haven't seen a full strength french line-up yet.

[/b]
Yes, and that's why we are so confident we will win. It's very hard for a team that hasn't played together before, due to all the changes made throughout the championship, to come to Cardiff and beat a Welsh on a roll and gunning for a grand slam.

If it was the other way round, with France having been building throughout the championship, getting better and more settled with every game, I, as you would be confident of a French win at home. France have shown moments of magic this year, but their game management and forwards have been appalling. I like the direction Lievremont is taking France, but he's chucked this championship away for the greater good of creating a large young squad, that in the future should be able to compete with anyone.

Just the way I see it. I'm hoping for a Welsh display with the power and control of last week (minus the indiscipline) with the finishing and creativity of the second half v Italy. Might have to wait a year or so for that though, cos that would be getting close to a perfect display.

sides been announced... two changes with bennet replacing rees, nd hook in for jones at 10

Must admit, Wales are still a very average team despite winning all their games.

France have a better all round team. If Wales lose by 20+, it won't be because they had a bad day or carried too much pressure etc... it will simply mean France, all along are the better side and Wales aren't as good as this forum makes them out to be.

Some of you guys are making outlandish remarks, how can you be so sure of a Wales win?

France to win by at least 13, don't know about the +20 margin but I hope they pull it off.

i disagree.. our defence has been superb, our forwards have improved ten folds... our players are smashing the myth that were smaller than the other nations... guys like henson nd our forwards are running hard lines and setting targets, nd hitting the opposition backwards... our kicking has improved.. were only missed on kicked all tournament.. conceaded only two tries... i think it is fair to say that this welsh side is by no means the finnished article, but theyve been solid enough in every game nd done enough to win all four matches...

its a shame that whenever wales get some success the whole rugby world are quick to slam them down :(

but the only slamming down wales are gunna be doing is that old grand slam on saturday ;)

its coming home baaaaaabbbbbyyyyyyy :)

yes im quite camp this week:S

Latest posts