• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v France

France to win by at least 13, don't know about the +20 margin but I hope they pull it off. [/b]

Well the bookies say Wales are odds on for a grand slam, so I suppose you're going to be putting a big bet down since you're so sure? :p

Agree with Lora. This is a very good team, balance in rugby is more important than the sum of parts, and this team has combination's and partnerships all over the field.

Back three - all have speed, Shane - one of if not the best game breaker and finisher in world rugby, Mark Jones - excellent flat out speed, solid defensively, Lee Burne - all round package, with a massive boot.

Centers - solid as they come in defense, one excellent distributor, one with speed, both strong and powerful taking the crash ball. Henson offering another boot.

Half Backs - take your pick, between all four (Hook, Jones, Peel and Phillips) they posses the lot and they aren't half bad individually either!

Back row - this is where balance is key, and Gatland has got it perfect, Ryan Jones is an excellent leader who carries the ball better than anyone else in the NH. Jonathan Thomas - excellent at basics, taking the restart, lineout and again carries the ball well. Martyn Williams - do I have to say anything about him!

Second row - Gough brings the aggression, big hits, does the gritty work. Alun-Wyn, excellent ball carrier and lineout jumper.

Front row - seems to be getting the basics right, our scrum has been on par, if not dominant in all games, lineout has been improving, with a master class last weekend against two of the best lineout jumpers in the world (bar SA). We've also got a workaholic prop in Gethin Jenkins.

I think we should be confident against France. But as many have found out, especially New Zealand, France can produce the game of their lives at any point.

Agree with Lora. This is a very good team, balance in rugby is more important than the sum of parts, and this team has combination's and partnerships all over the field.

Back three - all have speed, Shane - one of if not the best game breaker and finisher in world rugby, Mark Jones - excellent flat out speed, solid defensively, Lee Burne - all round package, with a massive boot.

Centers - solid as they come in defense, one excellent distributor, one with speed, both strong and powerful taking the crash ball. Henson offering another boot.

Half Backs - take your pick, between all four (Hook, Jones, Peel and Phillips) they posses the lot and they aren't half bad individually either!

Back row - this is where balance is key, and Gatland has got it perfect, Ryan Jones is an excellent leader who carries the ball better than anyone else in the NH. Jonathan Thomas - excellent at basics, taking the restart, lineout and again carries the ball well. Martyn Williams - do I have to say anything about him!

Second row - Gough brings the aggression, big hits, does the gritty work. Alun-Wyn, excellent ball carrier and lineout jumper.

Front row - seems to be getting the basics right, our scrum has been on par, if not dominant in all games, lineout has been improving, with a master class last weekend against two of the best lineout jumpers in the world (bar SA). We've also got a workaholic prop in Gethin Jenkins.

I think we should be confident against France. But as many have found out, especially New Zealand, France can produce the game of their lives at any point. [/b]

Good post on why Wales look set to complete the grand slam. The thing that the coaches have done is simply take the talented backline and help point it in the right direction and got the forwards to play well in the basic areas consistently. Last season Wales only beat England in the final match because the forwards fronted up. Now they are doing it consistantly.

<div class='quotemain'>On the principle that you can't have everything you want at once. [/b]

I heard that people going to the match will be given cakes, and they'll be eating them too.

A Grand Slam is more than we could have asked for two months ago but isn't the be all and end all of rugby. It's just a good platform to try and compete with the southern nations, and hopefully get out of the pool stages of a world cup. :p
[/b][/quote]

Are they going tp be dressed up in silky ballgowns and beehive wigs too? Al La Marie Antoinette?

I DO hope so.

Must admit, Wales are still a very average team despite winning all their games.

France have a better all round team. If Wales lose by 20+, it won't be because they had a bad day or carried too much pressure etc... it will simply mean France, all along are the better side and Wales aren't as good as this forum makes them out to be.

Some of you guys are making outlandish remarks, how can you be so sure of a Wales win?

France to win by at least 13, don't know about the +20 margin but I hope they pull it off. [/b]

Man, I think you've made your outlandish remarks.

France may, as you say, have an all round better team; Wales may, as you say, be still an average team, but have you actually watched the 6 nations?
Have you seen how inconsistent France have been, how their moments of brilliance have been scarred by the fact that the team don't haven't seemed to gel and are just missing that clinical edge?
Have you seen how poorly Wales started off but consistently improved on their performances culminating with a dominant display in Ireland. Granted, we weren't anywhere near as good as we would have hoped, we should have beaten Ireland by more points in my opinion, but we're esentially a new team just finding our feet.
So why do i think Wales will win?

Because we've been on a constant incline. France have been on a rollercoaster-esque ride.
Because we're at home which counts for a lot.
Because we have the conifidence that when we didn't play so well we didn't lose our games. France can not entirely say the same things.

I'm really nervous at this moment. I'm worried because i'm confident for Wales, I'm confident we'll get our Grand Slam - but man the French can f*** things up for us.
We have everything to lose at this point. How are those players feeling!? :lol:

The French love playing in Cardiff, and that is the reason why I think we might lose. We all know how Godawful they can be in Paris, but they beat NZ in Cardiff and stuffed us with a second string team there in the Autumn. The French have played three really poor games at home so far, but they won't fear a trip to Cardiff, even against a resurgent Welsh side, in the slightest.
That said, I still think we'll win by 5 - 10 points. :lol:

I can only agree,

What i saw so far in the 6 nations is Wales being more and more confident in their game

and France looking less and less "unpredictable" (which is kind of ironic given the staff project)

I still think that France could win this and could win by +20 pts

Aye, take nothing away from France.
On their day, they have the players and the talent to put 20 points on us.

There are so many good reasons why Wales will win that they will obviously lose.

This is Welsh rugby we're talking about, not rocket science or building meccano sets. There is nothing predictable about it. All the dictates of reason demand the absurd.

If this season has shown us anything, it is that nothing can be taken for granted.

Besides, Johnny Smith, the Scrum V Tonmawr Tiger says France will win. And who are any of us to say different?

Hook is the reason Wales should be nervous - I think it's a gamble to start with him.

And how long will Ryan Jones stay on the pitch this time? Not sure Gatland has full confidence in him.

<div class='quotemain'> Must admit, Wales are still a very average team despite winning all their games.

France have a better all round team. If Wales lose by 20+, it won't be because they had a bad day or carried too much pressure etc... it will simply mean France, all along are the better side and Wales aren't as good as this forum makes them out to be.

Some of you guys are making outlandish remarks, how can you be so sure of a Wales win?

Man, I think you've made your outlandish remarks.

France may, as you say, have an all round better team; Wales may, as you say, be still an average team, but have you actually watched the 6 nations?
Have you seen how inconsistent France have been, how their moments of brilliance have been scarred by the fact that the team don't haven't seemed to gel and are just missing that clinical edge?
Have you seen how poorly Wales started off but consistently improved on their performances culminating with a dominant display in Ireland. Granted, we weren't anywhere near as good as we would have hoped, we should have beaten Ireland by more points in my opinion, but we're esentially a new team just finding our feet.
So why do i think Wales will win?

Because we've been on a constant incline. France have been on a rollercoaster-esque ride.
Because we're at home which counts for a lot.
Because we have the conifidence that when we didn't play so well we didn't lose our games. France can not entirely say the same things.

I'm really nervous at this moment. I'm worried because i'm confident for Wales, I'm confident we'll get our Grand Slam - but man the French can f*** things up for us.
We have everything to lose at this point. How are those players feeling!? :lol:
[/b][/quote]

Only spicing things up from a neutral, SH perspective, simply speaking with no running emotions to sway my decision one way or another. You'll find the majority of 6 nations followers down here will have the same opinion as me. That being Wales having a string of wins against woeful performances from average teams (form wise of late), and the fact that France can do anything on such a grand occasion.

I'm just saying it's funny that essentially every Welsh member on this board are so confident and sure of victory.

France have been inconsistent due to constant team changes. Heck, there have even been more changes than a Graham Henry led All Blacks tour, but this time round they're pulling out their big guns, so to me it looks like a match which has no bearing on previous form.

As in every game I think that if we're within a few points at half time we'll probably win it. We always seem to start a bit flat then take over.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were behind maybe 10-13 in the first half then come back to win it about 27-20.

You'll find the majority of 6 nations followers down here will have the same opinion as me. That being Wales having a string of wins against woeful performances from average teams (form wise of late), and the fact that France can do anything on such a grand occasion.[/b]

There's something very conservative about rugby fans, that hates seeing a change to the status quo. Forget Argentina joining the Tri Nations, Wales climbing up a few ranking places is enough to get up their noses.

Yes France could very well beat us but just because we're 'lowly Wales who should know their place at the bottom of the top 10' doesn't mean we can't be confident when we have every right to be.

As for being 'funny' in our confidence about beating France, we're still not this confident. :p

Hook is the reason Wales should be nervous - I think it's a gamble to start with him.

And how long will Ryan Jones stay on the pitch this time? Not sure Gatland has full confidence in him.
[/b]

I personally don't think it's a gamble starting Hook, he's one of the most confident and composed youngster I've seen. Nothing seems to have fazed him so far (some could say missing the penalty in front of the posts v Fiji, but I think it was just one of those things, doubt it'll happen again). I haven't seen any vulnerabilities in his deffence playing at 10 for neither the Ospreys or Wales, his kicking from hand is slightly better than Jones' also. His only weakness is being too quiet, he doesn't boss his team mates around enough; though his general game managent is pretty good imo. He often takes the right decisions, occasionally taking things on himself a bit too much, but this keeps the defence guessing.

I don't think there's anything to look into regarding Ryan Jones, I think Gatland has complete confidence in him as captain (it appears Gatland has complete confidence in his entire squad), and the reasons for Jones being substituted is a combination of a slight knock v Ireland and giving the very capable Delve some game time. Considering the work Ryan has been getting through during the matches so far (he's carried more ball than any other player this 6 nations) and the limited time he's been back since injury, I think Gatland has made the right decision every time. It's just nice to have someone of Delve's quality on the bench!

im still not totally convinced by hook he seems suspect in the tackle and has missed some easy but important kicks for wales theres no doubting he has talent but i would have stuck with jones for this one

Just wanted to add regarding Hook:

Stephen missed a couple of kicks against Ireland and threw a couple of foreward passes when we were attacking in Irelands 22. Considering the reasons for Hook being 'dropped' after the first couple of games, it's perfectly fair that Stephen get's 'dropped' this time. Dropped is proberly the wrong word, as whoever is on the bench has an important role to play. I'm personally enjoying Wales having the choice between the two (it's no longer Jones v Hook like it was under Jenkins, but Jones and Hook). We have a luxury of chooing which outside half suits the opposition/game plan the best for each individual match, and I'm loving it!

(Took to long to edit my original post)

I'm just saying it's funny that essentially every Welsh member on this board are so confident and sure of victory. [/b]

How about we ease up on the arrogance, yeah?
We are more than justified in our confidence in our team, why? Because France has played with similar woeful performances as all the other teams we've beaten in this tournament.

Now, you are more than welcomed to reply to this, but I have to stop because I'm gonna start insulting you and New Zealand rugby and this isn't the place for this if i don't. I don't want to dish out insults, it would be me just being petty. I'm sure you can appreciate this, it's a tense time for us Welsh fans and am finding it difficult to post without being blinded by my patriotism and passion.

<div class='quotemain'>
I'm just saying it's funny that essentially every Welsh member on this board are so confident and sure of victory. [/b]

How about we ease up on the arrogance, yeah?
We are more than justified in our confidence in our team, why? Because France has played with similar woeful performances as all the other teams we've beaten in this tournament.

Now, you are more than welcomed to reply to this, but I have to stop because I'm gonna start insulting you and New Zealand rugby and this isn't the place for this if i don't. I don't want to dish out insults, it would be me just being petty. I'm sure you can appreciate this, it's a tense time for us Welsh fans and am finding it difficult to post without being blinded by my patriotism and passion.
[/b][/quote]

Mate, you have it ALL wrong. No arrogance involved what so ever, so I can't see how my post has worked you up into such a state of frenzy.

My opinion, judged on what I've seen on these boards. Now why would you threaten me because of that? Yes, I feel threatened :unsure:

I am quite surprised how personally you have taken my posts. Tense times/passion for your country granted, but come on man, that kind of stuff really isn't needed. I mean no offense to you what so ever, yet you threaten to hurl insults in my direction? Simply because I have made an opinion? <_<

As for being 'funny' in our confidence about beating France, we're still not this confident. :p
[/b]

No offense Curren, but the over confidence is something most kiwi fans should review a little...

anyway, being french in SH i'll give my unbiaised opinion:

Amazing perfs from the welsh in this 6 nations, France experimenting, bringing fresh blood.
However, this game will see the return of experienced players who have played together for more that just a month...
and all in all, i dont think any competitor plays to lose, but if we do lose, then what? big deal to me, don't really give a s**t and i wont say Lievremont doesn't care either, but he's clearly preparing the future of French rugby instead of gathering ***les like Bernie - what did 3 x 6Nations gave us for the World Cup? nothing. for me 2011 is the bottom line - couldn't care less about the result of the 6Nations anymore as long as we kick ass in 2011. that's my view on. I'll watch the game and hope it will be a nice game and if it, whoever wins, i'll be happy!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

No offense Curren, but the over confidence is something most kiwi fans should review a little...

anyway, being french in SH i'll give my unbiaised opinion:

Amazing perfs from the welsh in this 6 nations, France experimenting, bringing fresh blood.
However, this game will see the return of experienced players who have played together for more that just a month...
and all in all, i dont think any competitor plays to lose, but if we do lose, then what? big deal to me, don't really give a s**t and i wont say Lievremont doesn't care either, but he's clearly preparing the future of French rugby instead of gathering ***les like Bernie - what did 3 x 6Nations gave us for the World Cup? nothing. for me 2011 is the bottom line - couldn't care less about the result of the 6Nations anymore as long as we kick ass in 2011. that's my view on. I'll watch the game and hope it will be a nice game and if it, whoever wins, i'll be happy!
[/b][/quote]

OK, let me get this straight. You are basically saying I am in no position to criticize the Welsh for being over confident, just because history has it that NZ fans are over confident? Sounds like stereotyping of the highest degree to me, I knew that would come back to bite me in the ass.

If you read my posts, in a nutshell I'm saying Wales shouldn't be too confident in winning this game, and this is pretty much France's A-team so it's impossible to write them off based on recent form, and I gave a prediction. Now, what is it that I have said wrong?

Maybe I'm better off just staying out of these NH discussions lol. I've obviously struck a nerve (don't know why my comments have been treated with contempt), let's leave it at this. :)

Latest posts