• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v France

Wairarapa Cullen:

I wouldn't worry about RC, he just seems to be wound a bit tight at the mo :bleh!: . I didn't get insulted by any of your posts, nor did I think you came across as arrogant. I think France are good enough to win, but at the same time, it'll be hard for the experienced players to be chucked back together and expected to outperform us straight away. If they had a few games together as a settled team, I'd be allot more uncertain of the outcome.

As always, this close to a test match, my blind faith and optimism is overpowering all (as it should do), all I can see is a Welsh victory, I'm not hazarding a guess by how much though.

but if we do lose, then what? big deal to me, don't really give a s**t[/b]

But since the World Cup seedings will be decided at the end of this year, getting knocked down to the bottom of the rankings because you play an inexperienced team could matter a lot. You don't want to be in a group of death with Argentina again. :)

France's XV:

Floch; Clerc, Jauzion, Traille, Malzieu; Skrela, Elissalde; Dusautoir, Bonnaire, Ouedraogo ; Thion, Nallet (cap.); Mas, Szarzewski, Barcella.

Remplaçants: Poux, Servat, Mela, Vermeulen, Yachvili, Trinh-Duc , Heymans.

Some surprises here: no Heymans/Clerc association, Skrela instead of Trinh-Duc, Barcella still there, no real number eight with Bonnaire... (excellent player, but he's more a flanker to me)

It's funny to see that Wales put the fly half youngster on the field, while France brings back some experience with Skrela... but it's fine with me. Trinh-Duc was good for his first tournament but our best game in attack was the one with Skrela on the field...

Nope, right man for the job imo.
[/b]

Hooks brilliant in attack, but his defence is suspect. Traille, Skrela and Jauzion might have a field day.
Having said that, if we starve them of ball then we'll be fine.

Its just a big IF.

<div class='quotemain'>but if we do lose, then what? big deal to me, don't really give a s**t[/b]

But since the World Cup seedings will be decided at the end of this year, getting knocked down to the bottom of the rankings because you play an inexperienced team could matter a lot. You don't want to be in a group of death with Argentina again. :)

[/b][/quote]

Why not? The team with the easiest pool didn't reach the SF.

<div class='quotemain'>

Nope, right man for the job imo.
[/b]

Hooks brilliant in attack, but his defence is suspect. Traille, Skrela and Jauzion might have a field day.

Its just a big IF. [/b][/quote]

Avoiding turnovers is also very important especially if you're an attacking side, you cannot reorganise the defensive line quickly enough.

France's XV:

Floch; Clerc, Jauzion, Traille, Malzieu; Skrela, Elissalde; Dusautoir, Bonnaire, Ouedraogo ; Thion, Nallet (cap.); Mas, Szarzewski, Barcella.

Some surprises here: no Heymans/Clerc association, Skrela instead of Trinh-Duc, Barcella still there, no real number eight with Bonnaire... (excellent player, but he's more a flanker to me)

It's funny to see that Wales put the fly half youngster on the field, while France brings back some experience with Skrela... but it's fine with me. Trinh-Duc was good for his first tournament but our best game in attack was the one with Skrela on the field... [/b]

Heymans can cover both the Wing and the FB positions while Skréla can slip to centre if Traille or Jauzion is to be replaced.

Its just a big IF. [/b]
I don't buy into this 'Hooks tackling is suspect' cr*p. He had a few games for Wales at 12 where his defense wasn't quite up to scratch, but this was more his positioning than tackling imo. I haven't seen him be anything but solid in the no 10 shirt for the Ospreys or Wales. Look at some of the tackles he's made, dumping Tuqiri for example.
I'm also totally convinced that Gatland knows what he's doing, he hasn't put a step wrong so far with his selections.

Avoiding turnovers is also very important especially if you're an attacking side, you cannot reorganise the defensive line quickly enough.
[/b]
Yeah, that's more of a worry. Sure Gatland will have had words regarding his ball retention.

Heymans can cover both the Wing and the FB positions while Skréla can slip to centre if Traille or Jauzion is to be replaced.
[/b]

Would have seen first Trinh-duc associated with Ellissalde, but you're right Don, I think this option allows a lot of adaptation depending of the game organisation and the opposition.
Skrella slipping to center in case of Jauzion or Traille injury/under performance, keeping fresh blood with Trinh-Duc who showed himself very dangerous in perforation around the scrum (could associate then Vermeulen).
Center's day performance could be our main attack outlet

For me question is more around defense, will we be in an inverse defense position. If not what solutions to deprive the Welh backline of balloons. This questions is more likely our opponent's, but it could be our dilemne for once.

We're playing with balloons! Cool. Gonna make the passing and kicking kinda strange and what happens if one pops, do we just keep playing with the scrap of rubber left?

Credit and kudos to France for taking this seriously, they obviously see us as a threat and that is why this experimental stuff is being put on the back burner, if France take us seriously then who cares if the SH lot don't, all this might just have something to do with the RWC, If France beat the All Blacks then Wales surely wont beat France.
If Wales do beat France then does this mean we get recognised?
We win either way, If we beat France hen really are that good, and if we lose then so be it? we know where we are and where we need to go.
So it's Merci to the French and WATCH OUT to the Kiwis as we are coming for you.

Jeez lads, will you all calm down. Going a bit overboard on the whole "aint we great".

Wales have done very very well this year, no one can doubt that. They are currently the only unbeaten team this year, a shoe in for the championship, and have a great chance at a rather illusive grand slam. More importantly they have played all the rugby while doing so. You fully deserve all the praise you are getting.

However, take an honest look at the teams you've beaten (especially with an eye on the SH teams) and it will (and should) take some of the gloss off it. You've done really well, and while you can only beat whats in front of you, they have been some fairly average sides. I'm not saying it devalues the championship, but I'd hold off on the "we are world beaters" for a while.

Still, if it wasnt for you guys this would have been one seriously boring competition. So good luck to both sides on Saturday. Here's hoping it turns into a classic.

<div class='quotemain'>I'm not saying it devalues the championship, but I'd hold off on the "we are world beaters" for a while.[/b]

Erm... who said we were world beaters?
[/b][/quote]
I think it was the" watch out Kiwis we are coming for you " joke line from captain morgan he was refering to.

I think it was the" watch out Kiwis we are coming for you " joke line from captain morgan he was refering to. [/b]

Well it's one thing coming at the Kiwis, doing something when you get there is another matter entirely.

Tom Shanklin came into my shop today and he was really quite shy. Really nice guy to talk to and he thanked me sincerely when i wished him and all the boys good luck on Saturday.

I was talking to Jamie Robinson yesterday (yes, ANOTHER name drop :p ) and I asked him, in the view of a professional, but not a welshman, who did he think was going to win.
He declared he could only see a welsh win and i said that the grand slam fever had clouded his rational thoughts as well as the rest of the nation.

It's just really great to be able to talk to the guys involved in the Welsh set up and other players at this time of the championship!

Calon lân yn llawn daioni
Tecach yw na'r lili dlos
Does ond calon lân all ganu
Canu'r dydd a chanu'r nos.

I'm following Lora's example by getting the singing going.
Come on boys, Grand Slam's nearly here!!!

France's XV:

It's funny to see that Wales put the fly half youngster on the field, while France brings back some experience with Skrela... but it's fine with me. Trinh-Duc was good for his first tournament but our best game in attack was the one with Skrela on the field...
[/b]
Is Lievremont mad in putting an inexperienced youngster at fullback when the Clerc/Heymans combinations has been working like a dream? :huh:
As for Skrela, I'd be happy to see him crack into pieces under pressure from our forwards as he did against Argentina. :bleh!: Although I don't see it happening, I'm sure Gatland and Edwards will want our forwards to crush Skrela's confidence into grains of dust! "JUST SMASH 'EM!"
With Floch, I'm expecting him to be showered in unrelenting high balls from Hook and Henson (perhaps), and you never know, a small mistake from him could pay off for us in the end.
Martyn Williams will need to be at his best to stop Dusautoir, and I can't wait to see the clash between Clerc and Ickle Shane.
BRING IT, LES BLEUS!

Allez les rouge! Allez les rouge! :p

*Ahh, memories of world cup final night with the trf boys in london.*

I'm following Lora's example by getting the singing going.
Come on boys, Grand Slam's nearly here!!! [/b]
This page is going to be an amusing read if we lose. :p But we need some songs to fire us up.

Men of Harlech, march to glory,
Victory is hov'ring o'er ye,
Bright-eyed freedom stands before ye,
Hear ye not her call?
At your sloth she seems to wonder;
Rend the sluggish bonds asunder,
Let the war-cry's deaf'ning thunder
Every foe appal.
Echoes loudly waking,
Hill and valley shaking;
'Till the sound spreads wide around,
The Frenchie's courage breaking;