• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs South Africa

I`ve had both games pencilled in on my viewing calendar since about June already, so yeah, it`s been planned for a long time already. The only games on the tour are this test vs. Wales, as well as the BaaBaas game.

And yes, there`ll definately be a fair amount of revenue generated. Quite possibly more since we`ve won Bill, but a nice little packet nonetheless. Unless I`m very much mistaken, a portion of the proceeds are going to SARPA, the players` association, like with the "World XV" game at the end of last season?

Fair enough. If there had been more games I was starting to feel paranoid over some kind of conspiracy of backroom dealings!

But clearly thats not the case.

I wish the All Blacks were also playing to help get rid of the lingering after taste of WC defeat. Suddenly the off season couldn't be over soon enough! Bring on the 7's!!

From a Bok supporters point of view, the games against the Welsh and the Barbarians are pointless. We have nothing to gain and all to lose. Both those teams will be itching to take a crack at the World Champs, if we don't win handsomely our champion status will be questioned. All in the interests of money

What have you got to lose? There isn't anything up for grabs, and who cares, you sent a second string side when you could have won the tri nations with a full strength side, so it has nothing to do with incentive about matches.

I agree, these matches arn't pointless, especially not when it commemorates something like 100 years of playing rugby against each other.

And now that the World Cup has come and gone a test match should be a proper test match again, full strenth sides should be facing up against each other again.

apart from the world cup this will be only the 3rd proper game the Boks have played this year out of a total of 9.

From a Bok supporters point of view, the games against the Welsh and the Barbarians are pointless. We have nothing to gain and all to lose. Both those teams will be itching to take a crack at the World Champs, if we don't win handsomely our champion status will be questioned. All in the interests of money [/b]
You are aware of the advent of professionalism in rugby?

I agree, these matches arn't pointless, especially not when it commemorates something like 100 years of playing rugby against each other.

And now that the World Cup has come and gone a test match should be a proper test match again, full strenth sides should be facing up against each other again.

apart from the world cup this will be only the 3rd proper game the Boks have played this year out of a total of 9.
[/b]

Totally agree, everybody is acting like the rugby world stops during the year of the WC, and especially the remainder of the year after the event. The Boks have end of year tours to Europe most seasons, so this is just another tour.

Agree 100%. A proper test match is a proper test match, no question. And celebrating 100 years of test rugby between 2 very passionate nations like SA and Wales, great stuff and bring it on please. Plus there`s the official TRF International Shield up for grabs!

But it definately does put us at a disadvantage for next year`s tri nations though. The Bok class of 2004 definately benefitted hugely in winning their tri nations that year, because of being a helluva lot "fresher" than both the AB`s and Wallabies. Due to our early plane escapades at the 2003 RWC. Next year, it`ll be the Boks who are less than fresh after a longer RWC campaign :bravo: . And this tour only adds to that.

This is the Welsh team I'd pick for this test.

01 John Yapp (Keeping Gethin Jenkins out of the Blues, so must be doing something right. Will be Gethin though, as he is captain)
02 Mathew Rees (Still the problem position)
03 Rhys Thomas (Excellent youngster, proving at the moment he can cut it with the best in the Heineken)
04 Ian Evans (Personally thought he was slightly better than Alun-Wyn before injury)
05 Alun-Wyn Jones (Dropped off slightly since his blistering start to international career, still an excellent player)
06 Colin Charvis (Adding the much needed experience to a young pack)
07 Robin Sowden Taylor (Martyn is gonna be a hard man to replace)
08 Alix Popham (Really not sure about this position, we need Ryan Jones back!)

09 Dwayne Peel (Close call between him and Phillips, Peel had an excellent game against Clermont, scoring a scorcher of a try)
10 James Hook (Still learning, everyone knows how good he can be)
11 Shane Williams (Scoring tries for fun for O's over the last few weeks)
12 Gavin Henson (Finally, he's back! Been missing a propper 12)
13 Tom Shanklin (Powerhouse of a man, destroyed Bristol on the weekend, good partnership with Henson)
14 Mark Jones (A few youngsters pushing for places, but not quite there.)
15 Morgan Stoddard (This guy's a machine, been playing blistering rugby for Scarlets, he has the lot.)

16 Gethin Jenkins
17 T Rhys Thomas
18 Ian Gough
19 Mike Phillips
20 Stephen Jones
21 Lee Burne

Here's the squad:

Backs: Lee Byrne (Ospreys), Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), Mark Jones (Scarlets), Shane Williams (Ospreys), Tom James (Blues), Tom Shanklin (Blues), Jamie Robinson (Blues), Gavin Henson (Ospreys), Sonny Parker (Ospreys), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Ceri Sweeney (Dragons), Michael Phillips (Ospreys), Dwayne Peel (Scarlets), Gareth Cooper (Gloucester)

Forwards: Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Alix Popham (Scarlets), Colin Charvis (Dragons), Robin Sowden-Taylor (Blues), Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Michael Owen (Dragons), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Rhys Thomas (Dragons), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), T Rhys Thomas (Blues), Gethin Jenkins (Blues, capt), Duncan Jones (Ospreys)

I dont think it is a good move to leave Gareth Thomas out of Wales' squad. Personally I dont think his job is done, nor are Wales in the right state to lose a player of his experience and calibur. I think as Wales go through a rebuilding stage, they need a player of his leadership qualities to guide them into a much better state. Im not saying that he should be picked for the World Cup in 2011 and nor will he be around then, but I do believe that he should be around the Wales set up for another year and a half to help them through their rebuilding phase.

Completely disagree Aussie Pride. I think it'll really be good for Wales to get rid of Gareth Thomas, don't get me wrong, he was a fantastic player for Wales, but too much stuff has happened surrounding him in the last few yrs. Weather he has had anything to do with any of the stuff that's happened? I don't know, but there's too many roumors surrounding him etc.

We now have better players in every position he plays, why keep him?

hey any welsh lads going to the game???

if sooo, fancy meeting up for a pre match drink and sing along??

god its amazing being welsh... well being me anyways lol... ive totally forgotten about all the cracks in welsh rugby, and im back to my old... were gunna be the boks by a cricket score :S lol

come on gav!!

Looks like the Welsh could be in with a decent chance of winning here, especially with some big names missing from the Bok team.

This game might be more of a look to the future for both these teams, rather than a celebration of the past (100year celebration). I agree that it's time for Gareth Thomas to move on. With fresh faces in the coaching line up and in the backroom staff it's as good of time as any to banish any ghosts from the locker room and start a new for Welsh rugby.

Despite the failings of the WC it must be a very exciting time to be a Welsh rugby fan?! Or a Bok fan for that matter.

It will be interesting to see who starts at 10 and 15 for the Boks? Maybe it's time Pienaar steps up to fill one of these roles?

hey any welsh lads going to the game???

if sooo, fancy meeting up for a pre match drink and sing along??

god its amazing being welsh... well being me anyways lol... ive totally forgotten about all the cracks in welsh rugby, and im back to my old... were gunna be the boks by a cricket score :S lol

come on gav!! [/b]

Na, can't make it unfortunately. Good thing is, I'm hopefully gonna go to Cardiff uni next year (god 7 years, I would have completed 5 years if I stayed in uni last time) which means alot more Wales games....... well maybe...... possibly not..... depends if I have money.

I'm not quite as confident as you, but I do feel as though a new era has begun (didn't when Jenkins took charge) with players like Henson returning to form and bright prospects like Stoddard on their way through, exciting things ahead I hope.

Well Scuuba, it seems as if White is going to go with Pienaar at 15, and Pretorius at 10 for the time being. Although I`d have been much more adventurous and go for Pienaar at 10, where I still believe his Bok future lies. And then go with Pietersen at 15, seeing as he`s played most of his Currie Cup and S14 rugby at 15, up to this season. This would definately have increased our counter-attacking intent, which is the one thing really missing from Bok rugby.

Just imagine- with Pietersen having a go from deep, all of a sudden you can`t just kick it up the park and wait for the kick-and-chase back, seeing as he`ll counter. Which means you have to kick out. Playing straight into one of our greatest strengths, the line-out. Even without Matfield, there`s still Botha, Smith and Muller to contend with. But oh well, in his last test in charge, who can blame White for going a bit more conservative?

Completely disagree Aussie Pride. I think it'll really be good for Wales to get rid of Gareth Thomas, don't get me wrong, he was a fantastic player for Wales, but too much stuff has happened surrounding him in the last few yrs. Weather he has had anything to do with any of the stuff that's happened? I don't know, but there's too many roumors surrounding him etc.

We now have better players in every position he plays, why keep him?
[/b]
Id keep him for experience. I dont buy all this stuff about him being a trouble maker and a disturber of the peace in the Welsh Rugby setup. I view him as a fine player, possible one of the best backs Wales or indeed the World has seen. I see his experience as invaluable. What I wouldnt like to see is a whole bunch of kids thrown into the Wales line up and left to flounder. I probably did state my purpose in keeping him very clearly. I wouldnt use him as a member of the starting squad. Instead, Id play him from the bench to bring on in big games, when Wales need inspiration or an old-hand to guide them.

Ill give you a scenario...Wales vs England @ Millenium Stadium..scores 14-14 with 10 minutes to go...surely youd want Gareth Thomas on the field in that situation to help youngsters get a grasp of what its like to be in the big time. Id like to see him used from the bench or in the squad and not necessarily used every game. IMO he is still one of the most reliable backs in the world.

You make some excellent points Ausie Pride.

I don't fully believe this trouble maker stuff either.... but ther's too many rumours going round. For me, if it's got nothing to do with Gareth Thomas, someone in the WRU needs to grow a pair and tell us what actually happened. If GT was involved, then get rid of him.

My friends and I believe it'll be a good thing when Gareth Thomas is no longer involved in International rugby, it'll give a chance for the fans to begin afresh, without people going on about player power etc. (as he is believed to be the main culpript). This may be a load of s**t, who knows.

As a player, Gareth Thomas has been one of the greatest Welsh players of all time, top try scorer (think Shane Williams will overtake him though) and first Welsh player to reach 100 caps (tryly excellent acheivement). He would still make excellent bench cover...... hmm, dunno what I would do.

On another note, what do people think of Morgan Stoddard?

He seems to be an excellent player, not afraid of taking someone on, as the Clermont game proved (taking on, and beating Rougerie on a number of occasions). He's not one of these fullbacks that does an up-and-under on every occasion. He also seems a very reliable player. Hope he can step up to International level, like he did Regional.

Latest posts