• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs South Africa

annoyed with how Michael Owen has been playing out of his skin for the Dragons and gets f all as a reward for it![/b]

The one thing you're forgetting is that Michael Owen is rubbish, and possibly the wussiest forward currently involved in international rugby. Seriously, the guy would get (and has been) monstered by pretty much every other top international 8 around, and doesn't have the grunt for an international second-row. Especially not with classier options like Alun Wyn-Jones available.

No good having good hands as a forward if you aren't able or prepared to get down to the nitty-gritty when it counts. Owen just never looks like he has the balls to relish contact like he should.

<div class='quotemain'>annoyed with how Michael Owen has been playing out of his skin for the Dragons and gets f all as a reward for it![/b]

The one thing you're forgetting is that Michael Owen is rubbish, and possibly the wussiest forward currently involved in international rugby. Seriously, the guy would get (and has been) monstered by pretty much every other top international 8 around, and doesn't have the grunt for an international second-row. Especially not with classier options like Alun Wyn-Jones available.

No good having good hands as a forward if you aren't able or prepared to get down to the nitty-gritty when it counts. Owen just never looks like he has the balls to relish contact like he should.
[/b][/quote]

Agreed, i was watching the Dragons at the weekend and he was superb in terms of doing everything that he could bloody well. But he doesnt have the physicality of a world class 8, he is a sort of typical Welsh player talented with ball in hand but lacks the strength required.

he said it will be a full strenght team, but i doubt it very much.

Jake White said he would be fielding a full strength team for this game could be a classic. Mind you the Welsh have never beaten the Boks but what more incentive than to have a go at the world champions who will be jet lagged and tired after the WC. Is it this weekend?
[/b]

the boks will make it with a "saamgeplakte span"!!!!!!!!

he said it will be a full strenght team, but i doubt it very much.

<div class='quotemain'>
Jake White said he would be fielding a full strength team for this game could be a classic. Mind you the Welsh have never beaten the Boks but what more incentive than to have a go at the world champions who will be jet lagged and tired after the WC. Is it this weekend?
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

this match is pointless really more fixture congestion for the NH and the possibility of welsh injuries during the HC i'd say the provinces are thrilled [/b]

I know as a Glasgow fan im pleased with this game, considering we are playing Cardiff on friday evening.

well, on last weeks performance we need all the help we can get!

Right, considering injuries, European-based players whose clubs are refusing to release their Boks, a couple of retirements etc, this is White`s most likely starting lineup, considering the way they ran in practice up to now:

15- Ruan Pienaar/Conrad Jantjies, 14- JP Pietersen, 13- Jacque Fourie, 12- Frans Steyn, 11- Bryan Habana, 10- Andre Pretorius, 9- Turdy January/Ruan Pienaar, 8- Ryan Kankowski, 7- Juan Smith, 6- Schalk Burger, 5- Johann Muller, 4- Bakkies Botha, 3- Dr. Jannie Du Plessis, 2- John Smit©, 1- CJ V D Linde.

Basically, mostly White will stick with continuity, the only debut will be for the very impressive Kankowski, and probably the even more impressive Heinke V D Merwe on the bench. He has also been pretty clear in that he wants Pienaar to start at 15, although the withdrawal of Du Preez might just give Jantjies another cap at 15, with Pienaar having to move back to 9.

[/b]

REALLY good to see Jantjies in the mix again, he counter-attacked well during the Currie Cup and it just seems to me that he has been playing with a lot more confidence. He was one of those players who were pushed into the Springbok setup very early in his career. Hopefully he is on the up again.

BokMagic, If it's not bad enough that January is in the starting line-up, I've heard that Conradie might be on the bench :wall: :%#%#: :rahh: :ranting: .

Really excited about Kankowski, I really rate No.8's like him and Bob. Anxious to see how he contributes and 'blends' with the other loosies.

Even with Matfield absent, I rate our line-out is still the best in the world. Muller is more than capable, and if he struggles we also got van den Berg (or did he retire?).

Oh sweet Jesus Steve-O, I hope you`re not serious about Bolla on the bench? Jeepers, that`s really scraping the barrell. Pick anyone else playing CC rugby in SA, except Falie Oelschig please Jake!

So I reckon if Turdy goes down injured, Pienaar moves from 15 to 9, and Jantjies comes in at 15 from the bench? Makes a helluva lot more sense.

But yeah, very excited to see how Kankowski goes at 8. The ideal foil for Burger and Smith, with his extra pace that he brings to the mix. Plus much better handling skills than Rossouw gave us at the RWC, although we obviously will miss out on Danie`s extra line-out presence and physicality. But a more balanced loose trio IMO.

And the backup lock might likely be Barend Pieterse. He`s been included in the squad as late cover for Matfield. Great call that, he should`ve been capped on the 2006 EOYT already methinks. Towering line-out presence, even though he`s only 1.96m. But plenty of pace around the park, and uncompromising physicality too. Very excited to see how he goes.

Also likely to see Heinke V D Merwe getting a run from the bench. All international tightheads be warned- this lad can scrum alright. Maybe not a monster like Sheridan yet, but already not too far behind. Just ask any tighthead what this lad did to them in the S14!

Oh sweet Jesus Steve-O, I hope you`re not serious about Bolla on the bench? Jeepers, that`s really scraping the barrell. Pick anyone else playing CC rugby in SA, except Falie Oelschig please Jake!

So I reckon if Turdy goes down injured, Pienaar moves from 15 to 9, and Jantjies comes in at 15 from the bench? Makes a helluva lot more sense.

But yeah, very excited to see how Kankowski goes at 8. The ideal foil for Burger and Smith, with his extra pace that he brings to the mix. Plus much better handling skills than Rossouw gave us at the RWC, although we obviously will miss out on Danie`s extra line-out presence and physicality. But a more balanced loose trio IMO.

And the backup lock might likely be Barend Pieterse. He`s been included in the squad as late cover for Matfield. Great call that, he should`ve been capped on the 2006 EOYT already methinks. Towering line-out presence, even though he`s only 1.96m. But plenty of pace around the park, and uncompromising physicality too. Very excited to see how he goes.

Also likely to see Heinke V D Merwe getting a run from the bench. All international tightheads be warned- this lad can scrum alright. Maybe not a monster like Sheridan yet, but already not too far behind. Just ask any tighthead what this lad did to them in the S14!
[/b]
Whats happened to the likes of Sephaka. I thought he was a very promising player. Also I would have looked to have played Olivier or Paulse in this game.

Can't wait for the game! It's going to be awesome! Are they broadcasting it on any channel?

Can't wait for the game! It's going to be awesome! Are they broadcasting it on any channel?
[/b]

Its on the BBC, i think the program starts around 3:45

<div class='quotemain'>Its on the BBC, i think the program starts around 3:45 [/b]

That's a bit odd, considering kick off is at 2:45.
[/b][/quote]

Doh, typo. I just thought the programme started at 2.45 and the game at 3, seems i was wrong :huh:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>Its on the BBC, i think the program starts around 3:45 [/b]

That's a bit odd, considering kick off is at 2:45.
[/b][/quote]

Doh, typo. I just thought the programme started at 2.45 and the game at 3, seems i was wrong :huh: [/b][/quote]

Given BBCs rugby broadcasting abilities, don't be surprised if coverage does start at 3.45 :p

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Whats happened to the likes of Sephaka. I thought he was a very promising player. Also I would have looked to have played Olivier or Paulse in this game. [/b][/quote]

I know, I nearly fell off my chair when I heard ETV News report that. I think (or hope) they just trying to stir up sh*t or something.

Anywho, I saw vd Berg training with the Boks today, so he is most definitely in. Jake isn't gonna be adventurous all of a sudden, especially in his last official internation with the Boks. Sticking to his guns once again :bravo: .

Oh, I nearly forgot...."Olivier or Paulse"? LMAO HAHA HEHE HOHO

where is the match??? i heard that play soon but i dont know where is the match,

if is in wales i think that wales beat South africa by 5 points

if is in SA the springboks wins by more than 20

Whats happened to the likes of Sephaka. I thought he was a very promising player. Also I would have looked to have played Olivier or Paulse in this game. [/b]
Yeah mate, Sephaka was a very promising young prop. Back in 2001 when he made his Bok debut. Unfortunately, he hasn`t delivered on the early promise, having grown more in size- read lard- than in playing reputation. Has started resurrecting his career a bit late this year with the Lions, in the absence of Brian Mujati. But certainly he`s fallen behind the likes of Steenkamp, V D Merwe and Du Preez on the loosehead side, and hasn`t yet convinced as a tighthead.

Paulse, well yeah, there`s still something to offer. Very talented, and a very sharp finisher in his heyday back in the late 90`s, but he`s the wrong side of 30 already, and surely there are more promising youngsters around at present- the likes of Chavanga, the Ndungane twins, Nokwe, Benjamin, not to mention the incumbments.

And Olivier- gotta be kidding me there mate? Can`t think of a worse, more one-dimentional centre in the history of rugby. Ever. Even worse than Sonny Parker.......

<div class='quotemain'> Whats happened to the likes of Sephaka. I thought he was a very promising player. Also I would have looked to have played Olivier or Paulse in this game. [/b]
Yeah mate, Sephaka was a very promising young prop. Back in 2001 when he made his Bok debut. Unfortunately, he hasn`t delivered on the early promise, having grown more in size- read lard- than in playing reputation. Has started resurrecting his career a bit late this year with the Lions, in the absence of Brian Mujati. But certainly he`s fallen behind the likes of Steenkamp, V D Merwe and Du Preez on the loosehead side, and hasn`t yet convinced as a tighthead.

Paulse, well yeah, there`s still something to offer. Very talented, and a very sharp finisher in his heyday back in the late 90`s, but he`s the wrong side of 30 already, and surely there are more promising youngsters around at present- the likes of Chavanga, the Ndungane twins, Nokwe, Benjamin, not to mention the incumbments.

And Olivier- gotta be kidding me there mate? Can`t think of a worse, more one-dimentional centre in the history of rugby. Ever. Even worse than Sonny Parker.......
[/b][/quote]
I have to ask you though, what is with the selection process involving your props. You guys seem to produce so many young talented props, give them about 5 tests and then they disappear. Eddie Andrews and Sephaka are both examples of this. Perhaps this is indication of Australian front row jealousy, give our lack of quality in the area :p Moving away from the props, Id like to pay credit to the quality of back-rowers South Africa produce. In particular, Kabamba Floors. I think it is so unfortunate that the Springboks have such depth in their back row because this guy possesses terrific speed for a forward and always plays with heart. Hilton Lobberts looks a decent player as well.

I had a funny feeling that people were going to have a crack at Olivier. I believe Olivier would be better utilised on the wing, rather than at inside centre. I just dont think hes creative enough to play at inside and he drifts in and out of the game too much. You can afford to do that at inside. What do you think of Waylon Murray and Wayne Julies?

Latest posts