• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 7: Hurricanes v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Going to this and really looking forward to what should be a very good match! Players from both sides will be playing for test spots, with all the non-playing Canes ABs having been released.
The Lions boys will no doubt be high on motivation and it'll be the last chance for many of them to prove a point on this tour, so we should see a really intense game.
Besides from Ardie, TJ and Beaudy (and Coles obvs but he's injured), it's a full strength Canes side so they'll be very tough, certainly much more so than the Chiefs. Can't wait!

Here's the Canes 23:
DDIAoKFVwAEUaGf.jpg

Last edited:
Wow thats a good team. Im expecting a good close game.
Yea, should be a really good game! I was worried we might see another Chiefs situation with players unavailable resulting in a very depleted team, but I'm glad Shag has released them! He said he didn't want guys to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to play the Lions. Good on him!

Off to this one too and even more excited now that we've got Jules, Ngani, Vaea and Jordie back.

Really good chance of getting the W for this one.

15. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828
14. Tommy Seymour – Glasgow Warriors, Scotland, #813
13. Jonathan Joseph – Bath Rugby, England, #809
12. Robbie Henshaw – Leinster, Ireland, #824
11. George North – Northampton Saints, Wales, #792
10. Dan Biggar – Ospreys, Wales, #821
9. Greig Laidlaw – Gloucester, Scotland, #810

1. Joe Marler – Harlequins, England, #811
2. Rory Best (c) – Ulster, Ireland, #793
3. Dan Cole – Leicester Tigers, England, #794
4. Iain Henderson – Ulster, Ireland, #808
5. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
6. James Haskell – Wasps, England, #823
7. Justin Tipuric – Ospreys, Wales, #786
8. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831

Replacements:
16. Kristian Dacey – Cardiff Blues, Wales
17. Allan Dell – Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland, ~834
18. Tomas Francis – Exeter Chiefs, Wales
19. Cory Hill – Newport Gwent Dragons, Wales
20. George Kruis – Saracens, England, # 817
21. Gareth Davies – Scarlets, Wales
22. Finn Russell – Glasgow Warriors, Scotland
23. Jared Payne – Ulster, Ireland, #830

15. Jack Nowell – Exeter Chiefs, England, #828
14. Tommy Seymour – Glasgow Warriors, Scotland, #813
13. Jonathan Joseph – Bath Rugby, England, #809
12. Robbie Henshaw – Leinster, Ireland, #824
11. George North – Northampton Saints, Wales, #792

1. Joe Marler – Harlequins, England, #811
2. Rory Best (c) – Ulster, Ireland, #793
3. Dan Cole – Leicester Tigers, England, #794
4. Iain Henderson – Ulster, Ireland, #808
5. Courtney Lawes – Northampton Saints, England, #826
6. James Haskell – Wasps, England, #823
7. Justin Tipuric – Ospreys, Wales, #786
8. CJ Stander – Munster, Ireland, #831

Replacements:
16. Kristian Dacey – Cardiff Blues, Wales
17. Allan Dell – Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland, ~834
18. Tomas Francis – Exeter Chiefs, Wales
19. Cory Hill – Newport Gwent Dragons, Wales
20. George Kruis – Saracens, England, # 817
21. Gareth Davies – Scarlets, Wales
22. Finn Russell – Glasgow Warriors, Scotland
23. Jared Payne – Ulster, Ireland, #830
Looking at the 2 sides, I'd say the Lions have the superior tight 5 and the Canes have the superior back 3, with the rest being pretty even. Good chance we'll see a real good competitive clash in styles. Weather may well be a deciding factor... looking at the forecast, it could go either way... some forecasts are saying a high chance of rain, while others are saying it should be a dry day... the only thing we can be sure of is that it will be windy lol, don't need a forecast to know that.
The head's telling me the Lions will probs edge it, the heart's saying Canes by 20...

Looking at the 2 sides, I'd say the Lions have the superior tight 5 and the Canes have the superior back 3, with the rest being pretty even. Good chance we'll see a real good competitive clash in styles. Weather may well be a deciding factor... looking at the forecast, it could go either way... some forecasts are saying a high chance of rain, while others are saying it should be a dry day... the only thing we can be sure of is that it will be windy lol, don't need a forecast to know that.
The head's telling me the Lions will probs edge it, the heart's saying Canes by 20...

With the ABs back at least we're not fielding a team as weak as the Chiefs did although even without our ABs we wouldn't be. Take into account the mental side of how the Lions boys will be feeling after Saturday and we could ruffle them or it could have the opposite affect.

Canes haven't played in a couple of weeks mind you and the Lions are gelling together a lot better than they were. Game 2 and this would have been a Canes win imo. Now it really could depend on a lot and a neutral fan would tip the Lions to win this.

A lot will depend on our lineout on our own throw, scrum battle and our ability to retain possession.

Jane's an asset off the bench with his ability under the high ball. Might be interesting to see if they really target NMS with it. Jordie's going to have to cover him a bit and have Jane off the bench for security.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to this one and definitely have the ability to get the win. Will be a testament to the Canes if they do get the win given the Lions time together now.

:( Damn, let's hope Laidlaw comes off before the 70 minute mark or this will be a very dour game.

Big chances for Lawes, CJ Stander and possibly North to put their hands up for a test place somewhere.

Stander really has to have a really good game to force his way into Gatland's thinking. The focus for next week will be brining speed and disruption to the breakdown, rather than going with hard carrying again. In some ways, that might almost lead to just as much of a chance for Tips as CJ - which is the case due to the circumstances of the last test, not that I'd want Tips in the test 23.

Looking ahead to Saturday this team worries me. Warburton really needs to find some form and I have a feeling Galtand is wrapping him up for Saturday instead...

If Warbs starts we riot.

I'd be happy to wager a fair amount that he will. I'm expecting SOB, Warbs and Faletau. The question is will POM or CJ (or Tips?) be on the bench, and that's where this game might come in.

Quite disappointed by Nowell at 15. Last week he really put his hand up for test selection but now he's not being given the chance to follow it up as he's being played out of position. He's never performed well defensively at 15 and against that Hurricanes back line he will be exploited. He'll then receive the blame for what is Gatland's fault for playing him out of position. Just frustrates me that his test chances are being killed off by poor team selection. Surely would've made more sense to start Payne there, even if it means beanching Nowell (although I'd rather Seymour as he really does have no chance of making the test side).

Quite disappointed by Nowell at 15. Last week he really put his hand up for test selection but now he's not being given the chance to follow it up as he's being played out of position. He's never performed well defensively at 15 and against that Hurricanes back line he will be exploited. He'll then receive the blame for what is Gatland's fault for playing him out of position. Just frustrates me that his test chances are being killed off by poor team selection. Surely would've made more sense to start Payne there, even if it means beanching Nowell (although I'd rather Seymour as he really does have no chance of making the test side).

I felt for him as soon as he was put at 15. What is even worse for him is that L Williams has pretty much solidified the 15 shirt for the second test, so he's going to have to perform great, out of position to force his way into a different position. makes little sense.

I saw it differently ,in that, after he played so well in the chiefs game, maybe Gatland is thinking of giving him the 23 shirt instead of Halfpenny and wants to see him at 15. He does offer more off the bench than 1/2p . Gats was always going to pick Seymour and North to start to give them more gametime, especially with Savea starting. It would also mean Watson could maybe stay on the wing if Williams went off.
Surely if Nowell was out of consideration Payne would be starting instead.

go the canes
nothing to lose makes canes a dangerous beast.
cool to see most of our ABs get released.
canes should just try and enjoy this game. we have nothing to lose and landers , chiefs and saders have already lost so really we have nothing to prove.
canes need to have more razzle dazzle than the lions can negate

...I'm glad Shag has released them! He said he didn't want guys to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to play the Lions. Good on him!
The experience will be better for the Canes boys in more ways than one. Some of these guys may never play for the All Blacks or may never play at a international level which is what the Lions will bring, so it gives them that opportunity and exposure and it also strengthens the NZ rugby players in terms of development. Mind you NZ is very lucky to have so much athletes playing rugby that Hansen can distribute at his disposal without causing too much detriment to the national team.

nothing like the chiefs game, the chiefs were well and truely a B side, this Hurricanes side is only really missing Barrett, Perenara & Coles

Its interesting jordie is still released with Ben Smith Injured.

Its interesting jordie is still released with Ben Smith Injured.
good point. didnt even register with me about jordie being released.
maybe dMac is being brought into FB ?
but i reckon it will be naholo and aIoane on the wings with dagg at 15.
that is an awesome attacking back 3

Latest posts