• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 7: Hurricanes v British & Irish Lions (Wellington)

Great rehearsal for the 'Canes on their way to retaining their Super ***le. Don't underestimate their forward pack - even without Ardie it is arguably the best defensive pack in the comp as the stats clearly show. They also do surprisingly well at set pieces when Abbot is playing. The
Maori reps TT and OT at 9 and 10 are pretty handy subs and the rest of the backs are either All Blacks or (Aso) very close. I would have Laumape any day ahead of SBW. Laumape can do anything SBW can do but is a far better line breaker/finisher and defender. As for Jordie, hopefully this is a workout for the 2nd Test. The public of NZ deserve to see TJ at 9, BB at 10 and Jordie at 15 - the best performed super rugby players playing where they belong. I'm in Brisbane but the Reds make me see red! C'mon "Canes - show the Lions and the AB selectors just how exciting rugby should always be when the best are on display.

go the canes
nothing to lose makes canes a dangerous beast.
cool to see most of our ABs get released.
canes should just try and enjoy this game. we have nothing to lose and landers , chiefs and saders have already lost so really we have nothing to prove.
canes need to have more razzle dazzle than the lions can negate

Maybe I was drunk but pretty sure the Landers beat em

:( Damn, let's hope Laidlaw comes off before the 70 minute mark or this will be a very dour game.

Big chances for Lawes, CJ Stander and possibly North to put their hands up for a test place somewhere.

Stander really has to have a really good game to force his way into Gatland's thinking. The focus for next week will be brining speed and disruption to the breakdown, rather than going with hard carrying again. In some ways, that might almost lead to just as much of a chance for Tips as CJ - which is the case due to the circumstances of the last test, not that I'd want Tips in the test 23.

In fairness I think your first remark applies to the half back pairing and not just Laidlaw. I would have preferred to see Davies & Russell start but it's obvious Gatland won't allow that as the pecking order is already established.

Right to reply to dislike: Valley you are an absolute tosser and no mistake. I said I wanted G Davies in for Laidlaw too and you still issue a dislike. Your family brain cell is obviously being used by someone else today.

Last edited:
Great rehearsal for the 'Canes on their way to retaining their Super ***le. Don't underestimate their forward pack - even without Ardie it is arguably the best defensive pack in the comp as the stats clearly show. They also do surprisingly well at set pieces when Abbot is playing. The
Maori reps TT and OT at 9 and 10 are pretty handy subs and the rest of the backs are either All Blacks or (Aso) very close. I would have Laumape any day ahead of SBW. Laumape can do anything SBW can do but is a far better line breaker/finisher and defender. As for Jordie, hopefully this is a workout for the 2nd Test. The public of NZ deserve to see TJ at 9, BB at 10 and Jordie at 15 - the best performed super rugby players playing where they belong. I'm in Brisbane but the Reds make me see red! C'mon "Canes - show the Lions and the AB selectors just how exciting rugby should always be when the best are on display.
I've always thought Otere would be an adapted option to counter the Lions. In spite of being younger and less experienced than Barrett, he seems calmer, poised, and makes good decisions under pressure. I don't know why the Maoris didn't let him start two weeks ago when Mckenzie had no answer to the Lions rush defense. Sure he doesn't attack the line as much as West or DMac, but that's not what you want against a stern and tight opposition.

You want someone with the ability to adapt, see mismatches, and call the right structures.

In fairness I think your first remark applies to the half back pairing and not just Laidlaw. I would have preferred to see Davies & Russell start but it's obvious Gatland won't allow that as the pecking order is already established.
I'd like Laidlaw to come off pre 7 minutes to see Davies and Biggar cut a swathe.

Right ao was hoping for stander, tipuric, JJ all starting for the second test or at least 2 and one the bench. Sucks to have a midweek game inbetween the tests meaning players that are involved in both dont get a full rest.

Like the team. Nowell at fb is a surprise and last line of defence against the likes of scudder and salvea. But north and seymour and nowell with JJ does sound dangerous. Hope i can watch it to work :).

I saw it differently ,in that, after he played so well in the chiefs game, maybe Gatland is thinking of giving him the 23 shirt instead of Halfpenny and wants to see him at 15. He does offer more off the bench than 1/2p . Gats was always going to pick Seymour and North to start to give them more gametime, especially with Savea starting. It would also mean Watson could maybe stay on the wing if Williams went off.
Surely if Nowell was out of consideration Payne would be starting instead.

Would like nowell in the 23 shirt for the second test, but he would go to wing regardless. At FB williams>watson>daly>nowell(>halfpenny.solid and good but just doesn't bring enough in attack, not for the AB we arnt going to win against them by kicking penalties. Good player not v AB though IMO

I don't have enough knowledge of this Canes half back pairing to form a strong opinion, if they are decent then I make the Canes comfortable favourites here. Ricotelli is a solid stand in for Coles. Ardie will be a loss.

For the Lions Henshaw must stand up and show some of the form that got him his move to Leinster and fixed in the national side. If he has a below average game there is almost literally zero threat from 13 and the backline as none of them are reknowned for any real passing ability and as stated above, the Canes defence is usually pretty darn stingy.

Assuming these backup Canes halfbacks are adequate I'm going for:

i) Lions to score less than 17 points.
ii) no tries from the Lions backs.
iii) Julian to have a blinder (I think his form has been good for the past 12 months personally and that he got out of his slump).

24-15 Canes

Would like nowell in the 23 shirt for the second test, but he would go to wing regardless. At FB williams>watson>daly>nowell(>halfpenny.solid and good but just doesn't bring enough in attack, not for the AB we arnt going to win against them by kicking penalties. Good player not v AB though IMO

Julian has been ok for the most part and still finishes well when chances get created for him but overall completely overshadowed by most of his team mates. Laumape and Aso in particular but the bit we have seen from NMS suggests he has some big games ahead of him.

I think all eyes have to be on laumape, hes had a mind blowing season but recently hes looked a little fatigued. I'm really interested to see how he will go now he has had a few weeks off to train, work on ****les and freshen up.

what a weird song to start learning the guitar on. i started with hotelCalifornia .

Nah my first tune was Sweet Child O Mine. I meant I had a bunch of songs and themes I learned at that was one of them, mostly because I happened to stumble across it again just as I was practicing and decided to give it a shot :D

Nah my first tune was Sweet Child O Mine. I meant I had a bunch of songs and themes I learned at that was one of them, mostly because I happened to stumble across it again just as I was practicing and decided to give it a shot :D
good on you. i tell wanna be axemen to learn a tune they know by rote and really like. makes learning heaps easier.

Solid Canes team. But like we saw with the Maori tight 5 and back row, the backline is pointless without the ball. The Canes need to put in a big forwards performances to win and try get some decent ball to unleash that quality backline. Hopefully they can do it, Fifita has been decent this season, the AB call up was a generous one how ever. We should get a better idea of him tonight.

Go the Mighty Hurricanes.

Canes by 40.

No, im not biased? Yes... It is my team.

Bout to head off to the game now. Town is absolutely packed, Lions fans everywhere, so should be an awesome atmosphere. Weather's been uncharacteristically good all day, no rain and surprisingly little wind. Should suit the Canes and make for a great game! Up The Canes!

Bout to head off to the game now. Town is absolutely packed, Lions fans everywhere, so should be an awesome atmosphere. Weather's been uncharacteristically good all day, no rain and surprisingly little wind. Should suit the Canes and make for a great game! Up The Canes!
Niiice man, have fun.

Latest posts