• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

welsh clubs administration

U

up'n'under

So I'm a little confused, who exactly owns the welsh clubs? Are they privately owned,ran by wru or a combination of both? I thought I read somewhere that the wru held a stake in the clubs but then last year there was that blow-up between Gatland and the regions over player release.

Nah, the WRU doesn't own the Regions, if they did then things probably wouldn;t have kicked off between the Regions and the WRU, because the WRU could have taken the players out whenever they wanted to as the region were 'their property'.
The main reason that there was problems was that the Regions could stand to make a loss because they had crunch EDF Group games that teh regions didn;t want to lose (as I think all stood some kind of chance to reach the semis, though some were slimmer than others) in the time spell that Gatland wanted the Players. I think they eventually came to an agreement that the WRU would give a certain amount of money to the regions for every player that gets called up for International Duty, so can't play for his region. Can't remember how much it was, something like £25,000.

Latest posts