Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
@dullonien @Bluemoon @Bluemoon @AzaMatt @welshglory @valley commando

I am probably gonna go to the Wales vs Argentina game, have some questions and thought i could take advantage of welsh hospitality. Some questions might seem trivial but i've never been to Cardiff before.
Will probably go early Sat, walk a bit, go to the game, grab a beer/bite, sleep and fly back the next morning.

I'd like to stay at a place that is accessible by public transport to/from the airport, that is not miles away from the stadium (walking, public transport), safe and if possible, a nice area. Couple of nice pubs nearby would be nice.
Any neighborhood i should focus on? I just want to narrow down my search for hotels/airbnb. If you got a nice/reasonably priced place in mind let me know too please.
Any interesting thing i should do/see on Sat before the game?
Tips & suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be going to the Wales v Argentina game with work, hopefully it'll be a good one.

On somewhere to stay, if I were you I'd just stay in the centre somewhere. The airport is a fair distance out, so it'll be a taxi/train ride regardless. It's worth sticking around in the centre for some drinking after the game, always good fun!

Interesting things to do before the game. If you don't mind a taxi/bus ride and the weather is nice, I'd suggest visiting St Fagans National History Museum. There's a decent amount of walking involved around the site, hence the nice weather part, but it's a lovely place, and interesting to learn about Welsh heritage. Alternatively, Cardiff Bay/barrage is nice, or there's Cardiff Castle.

Thanks!
I did a bit of research and found a couple of decently priced places near the stadium. There is also a BrewDog bar near the stadium, so that'd be a nice place to grab a decent, albeit scottish, beer!

Would you say staying around the stadium is a good idea? Too busy? Too central, not too central? No clue!
I understand there is a bus to/from the airport for 10 quid (return). Checked google and it says about 30 min each way. Looks ok to me.

Thanks again

The problem is getting a room in Cardiff city centre now. My experience last year for the RWC for the NZ v France QF wasn't good and I checked and called every hotel and B and B in and around Cardiff city centre 10 months beforehand. I can't imagine what it would be like 2 and half weeks before the match what with Wales being involved and Welsh fans from all round the country descending on Cardiff for the weekend.

I ended up staying in Bristol.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the Argentina vs Ireland QF last year. The prices are way, WAY more reasonable that.

Last year i could find flights and tickets, but the cheapest place i found was a 350 quid piece of ****e and was 50 k away from Cardiff.

I had a similar problem with the Argentina vs Ireland QF last year. The prices are way, WAY more reasonable that.

Last year i could find flights and tickets, but the cheapest place i found was a 350 quid piece of ****e and was 50 k away from Cardiff.

I was in Cardiff that weekend too, ended up getting an AirBnB staying in a student couple's spare room about 15 mins walk from the centre - pretty good deal considering the hotels were booked out months before.

AirBnB has saved me a couple of times when I've had nowhere to stay, worth a shout I'd say.

Pretty much like the others have said, although you'd be better off staying near the city center you are probably several months to late to book now, trip advisor or booking.com is your best bet, wherever you stay you have to be in town for at least a couple of hours pre and post match to soak up the atmosphere.

I'd like to stay at a place that is accessible by public transport to/from the airport, that is not miles away from the stadium (walking, public transport), safe and if possible, a nice area. Couple of nice pubs nearby would be nice.
Any neighborhood i should focus on? I just want to narrow down my search for hotels/airbnb. If you got a nice/reasonably priced place in mind let me know too please.
Any interesting thing i should do/see on Sat before the game?
Tips & suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Best hotels that are dead centre: Angel Hotel $$, Travel lodge St Mary's Street $, Mariot Hotel $$, Hilton $$$$, Nos Da Hostel ($ but its nice a hostel), Holiday Inn $$, Park Plaza $$$$. Ibis Hotel $$, Radison blue $$, Mercure - Newport Road $$, The Big Sleep $$,

Best Pubs: Go to Westgate street, which is right next to gate 2 of the stadium. - a lot of craft ale places there, my favourites are Tiny Rebel Brewery and the City Arms. Brewdog and Zero Degrees are a bit pricier, but still good. A little further out is the Cambrian Tap near Caroline Street and Porters (which is a 10 min walk, next to the big sleep, but a nice place). The Old Arcade (which is just up from gate 2 in the centre) will have a lot of well versed rugby fans, very similar to the City Arms.

Interesting things to do: Depends on what you are in to. Castle is always worth a visit if history is your thing. All of the Arcades around the town have some great coffee shops and independent shops. St Davids 2 is the big shopping centre. Bute park is a decent walk as it follows the river and you can't get lost. Check out the animal wall on the way in as its famous. The bay is a lovely place to visit - as mentioned, but its a 10 minute bus journey from the city centre and you'll need to get back for the game! Theres the Millennium Centre (opera house) and a walk over the barrage there. Back in the centre, if its raining, theres a good crazy golf in St Davids two car park where there is also a bar. My advice would be to take in some of the atmosphere in the pubs and surrounding the stadium!

Great post BlueMoon.

From those Hotels, I've stayed at Ibis, Big Sleep (quite a few years ago now though), but as expected really. Budget places, but nice beds, clean, all you need really as a place to crash. I also stayed at Nos Da Hostel on a stag do weekend, and that was a lovely place. Nice bar down stairs, and being a hostel there's plenty of interesting people from all over the world to chat to over a drink or two.

Latest posts