• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What the Springbok team might look like for the B&I Lions tour (if it happens)

Ah, nice. If Etzebeth and Pollard are both in contention then all of a sudden I actually see us as favourites despite maybe needing a bit of game to get going.

Pollard played this past weekend for Montpellier, in his first game back from injury, so he's all good.

RG had some sort of setback with his injury, and has to get another operation or something, and the fear is that he might not be fit by the time the Lions tour starts.

I see Serfontein get mentioned just wonder far off could andre esterhuizen be from the squad, who I would argue has been the form inside centre in the prem.
Isn't he suspended?

Yeah, he's in with a good chance. Wandesile Simelane and Rikus Pretorius could also be in with a chance.

Rassie and company like Esterhuizen as do i.

I see Serfontein get mentioned just wonder far off could andre esterhuizen be from the squad, who I would argue has been the form inside centre in the prem.
Don't give them ideas,
Imagine him running past Aki all game ffs

I'm a big fan of Esterhuizen, though - just needs to stop getting banned!

I think SA has a ton of quality in the centers even if I don't think any of them will be in among a World XV discussion

12 De Allende / Steyn / Esterhuizen / Janse van Rensburg / Hendricks arguably in the best form
13 Am / Serfontein / Kriel with Venter and Vorster at a pinch

Any one of those could outshine the other on the day given the chance. Very solid and depth aplenty but no Jaque Fourie. That said I remember the days well where Adi Jacobs was considered a top 2/3 option for us at center alongside Wynand Olivier.. I prefer our current situation.

Think Louw, Simelane, Gans and Pretorius all need another season.

Dunno if you Saffas have been keeping an eye out but Damo De Allende has been really really good for us, even if we don't always deploy him very well. Took to playing here like a fish to water and has been maybe our most consistent player and played an absolute tonne. RG Snyman had a few minutes for us total before getting injured in his first game and has been rehabbing since. He was on the road to recovery but suffered a setback and now needs minor surgery. Munster are apparently keeping in close contact with SAR with injury updates, but the chances of him being fit enough for meaningful test rugby seems pretty low I would imagine.

Dunno if you Saffas have been keeping an eye out but Damo De Allende has been really really good for us, even if we don't always deploy him very well. Took to playing here like a fish to water and has been maybe our most consistent player and played an absolute tonne. RG Snyman had a few minutes for us total before getting injured in his first game and has been rehabbing since. He was on the road to recovery but suffered a setback and now needs minor surgery. Munster are apparently keeping in close contact with SAR with injury updates, but the chances of him being fit enough for meaningful test rugby seems pretty low I would imagine.
Tricking them in to playing DDA so he can get dominated by Henshaw again? I'd say Noice if I wasn't a proud member of North South Africa with @Akker Van Der Tigs and @TRF_Olyy

Don't play him boys.

Tricking them in to playing DDA so he can get dominated by Henshaw again? I'd say Noice if I wasn't a proud member of North South Africa with @Akker Van Der Tigs and @TRF_Olyy

Don't play him boys.
I'd worry how he will shape up running at physical specimen Dan Biggar as opposed to easy yard machine and WEAK ketchup bottle man Johnny Sexton.

I have been following some of the Munster news and have seen some clips about DDA doing well there, also keenly following the RG situation there.

@TRF_stormer2010 don't forget Goosen at 13 and 15 giving us yet another kicking option.

I would probably prefer Esterhuizen over De Allende, but DDA is pretty much a starter at this point. And if i was coach Francois Steyn would start ahead with Esterhuizen on the bench.

Vorster is a big no for me, Hendricks has been good but not really better than our top three of DDA, Esterhuizen and FSteyn.

Serfontein is in the wilderness.

Francois Venter is still a good option but there is too much quality in front of him. Am and Kriel are going to be there for years to come.

The player who will announce himself to the world this series is Fassi, he tears **** up. The Lions will need to be at their absolute best because this guy can run through anybody. But I wonder if the coaches might feel we will be too attacking focussed for their liking with Kolbe also in the team. Especially since Our previous defence coach is now the head coach.

The player who will announce himself to the world this series is Fassi, he tears **** up. The Lions will need to be at their absolute best because this guy can run through anybody. But I wonder if the coaches might feel we will be too attacking focussed for their liking with Kolbe also in the team. Especially since Our previous defence coach is now the head coach.

He looks a big boy, strong, powerful, and his step moves him quite far either side (mostly a left footed step mind?)

Almost Folau esque in his build and playing style, but Folau was especially brilliant at not just passing off people online, but under the high ball, combined with a big boot. Whats Fassi like in these areas? On a scale of say, Damian McKenzie to Rob Kearney

Great under the high ball, probably the best or second best in the Sharks team along with Sbu Nkosi under the high ball at the moment. He can boot a ball quite far for teritory. But cant kick at goal.

Maybe defence is the biggest concern for him, but he is great when the opposition boots the ball to him and puts him in pressure situations.

Great under the high ball, probably the best or second best in the Sharks team along with Sbu Nkosi under the high ball at the moment. He can boot a ball quite far for teritory. But cant kick at goal.

Maybe defence is the biggest concern for him, but he is great when the opposition boots the ball to him and puts him in pressure situations.
Tackle wise or positionally?

Wouldnt say he's the fastest around, but he looks quick enough and very strong, with a good fend

Last edited:
He seems to be the fastest guy in the team, has not played professionally for another team so can't compare but he is legit one of the fastest in the team.

Nah he is a full back and good under the high ball so positionally he is very good. But we don't know how he will handle defence at an International level yet.

I feel a bit biased writing all this, it's making me feel guilty a bit. Maybe if someone from one of our rival South African teams can write a summary it would be much more objective, but I cant really see clear weaknesses hence my optimism for him.

Yeah, I've also got the hots for Fassi. Gelant pre-injury was a star for an otherwise underperforming Stormers team but Fassi looks an exciting prospect. He is sensational ball in hand and on the counterattack. Can't say he has been a stand out for me without the ball but not in a bad way, I just havn't paid attention enough probably but that also means he hasn't been poor on defense or out of position in a noticable way. Wasn't it him that chased down Dyantyi? Was it Dyantyi? I can't quite recall but I ave an inkling it as Fassi that mowed down well.. someone you'd have thought would be away given space.

Edit- yes, found it, tx Youtube! Dam, that stride! The cadence isn't amazing but he just eats up those yards!!

When are these warm up tests supposed to be, that the players have to return to their clubs in Europe after?

so Top 14 final reg weekend is June 3rd
Prem final reg weekend is June 12th

I guess they are talking more about those players in their leagues playoffs?

Surely there's no way that teams would release players to play international tests right before playoff games?