• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Just finished S2 of Cobra Kai. Really enjoyed the last episode. Looking forward to S3 in January.

It's a satire program on Showtime about Trump and his brain dead cronies. :D

1605959594954.png

Last edited:
Whilst waiting for HDM's 2nd season to finish so that we can binge - we're having a 90s throwback.
Started with This Life (Still love it - but don't bother with the reunion)
X-files and Stargate currently.
Twin Peaks and Babylon 5 waiting in the wings (2 long-arse programmes is quite enough to keep track of).

I missed the vast majority of all 4 of these programmes at the time as I was simply too busy with study 91-2003.

I miss the 90s

ETA: Is the "new" 3rd season f Twin Peaks worth it? So often the magic is lost when do these reunion things

Last edited:
This life was quality in the 90s. Could so relate to Egg. Probably why I didn't go into law.
Quite honestly, there were only really 3 things that meant it could never have been made today.
1. So much smoking - I mean, seriously - was there even a single scene without a lit cigarette?
2. Kyra's jackets - good gods that was awful.
3. Having to hide homosexuality for fear of losing your job

Oh, and 4. The music was so much better than you'd get now. You'd get the odd song here and there that's as good, but not the number of good tracks.

I'm really looking forward to season six of Better Call Saul. But it's been pushed back due to Covid-19. It was supposed to begin in January, but now there's no set date. :(

1607307593569.png

Last edited:
His Dark Materials starting back on BBC. Good show even if it doesn't capture everything of what made the books great.
It's so long since I read the books, I'm surprised how much I could remember. I'm just keen to see how closely the elephant things with the nut wheels look compared to how I imagined them. I imagined the specters looking quite different, in my mind they looked more like dementors.

The First 48 is a gritty true crime documentary show that's been on A&E since 2004. That's a really long time in TV years and is a testament to how great this show really is.

1608787161804.png

Cobra Kai season 3 is so over the top, dumb and goofy and I absolutely loved every second. The Jonny Lawrence character is just so perfect.

They are squeezing every callback to the movies they can get. Also how on earth did everyone from these old ass movies age so well?

Cobra Kai season 3 is so over the top, dumb and goofy and I absolutely loved every second. The Jonny Lawrence character is just so perfect.

They are squeezing every callback to the movies they can get. Also how on earth did everyone from these old ass movies age so well?
Completely forgot that was out now,
Cracking that on later

I agree. I think it has to do with how he brings balance to the equation.
You can interpret the character and his antics in two ways: that the writers are depicting how society makes fun of a has-been dinosaur or that he brings to the table a counterpoint to a generation's lack of ownership, values, effort and sense of entitlement. The truth lies somewhere in between.
I think the character resonates very well with audiences precisely because of that. He is both an extraordinary hero and villain at the same time.

It's a rather raw application of the way cinema/series characters have evolved. Till the approx the 80s most movies had a (or more) clear heroes and villains, main characters or antagonists. Since then a lot has been done with regards to exploring the good aspects of villains and the bad traits of heroes. Magneto (x men) and Batman are both perfect examples of this. Just look at how many movies have explored the idea of standalone heroes fighting each other; iron man vs captain America, batman vs superman, etc.

What cobra kai does beautifully is it takes a unidimensional old story and adds a series of somewhat realistic layers to different characters we are already familiar with. Suddenly the bad guy ain't a bad guy anymore, but a good kid that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Absent parents, bad role models and suddenly people go from hating someone to feeling sorry and cheering for the guy.
It's a simple formula but the execution is very, very good. Imo they nail it regarding what to go over the top with and what not to. They touch quite a few serious subjects in a humorous way.
The tension between the characters is well constructed and credible. Probably way more credible than before.

Last edited:
I watched Karate kid many years ago and I wasn't impressed as far as I remember..but jeez you're talking that much about these Cobra Kai series that I'm also interested now :rolleyes:

Latest posts