• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

TLOU is very good indeed and I am supremely annoyed at the genius that put Ep 1 on Youtube to force me into a NowTV sub for the next 6 weeks.

**** these ads though. I was to punch Geoff Football in his ancient gambling face so bad.

Starting Happy Valley from the beginning now that it's all done. Not seen any of last season, but forgotten so much of what went on before.

dont know how to feel about this, probably should just be left...but could be some very funny aspects to basil fawlty in todays world

dont know how to feel about this, probably should just be left...but could be some very funny aspects to basil fawlty in todays world
It's still funny.

If a really good episode of OFAH (any of the Uncle Albert ones) or Blackadder (2-4) comes on the box, I would definitely watch. Not sure I could say the same for FT.
Yeah I agree, I would even say Allo Allo was better but Fawlty Towers is still funny

Yeah I agree, I would even say Allo Allo was better but Fawlty Towers is still funny
I think they have all had their time. For me neither of those have aged well in terms of comedy. What I found funny 30 plus years ago, is no longer the same as I have grown up. There are jokes in Fawlty Towers which are xenophobic and let's face it why Cleese is dragging up his character up again to appeal to the Brexit crowd.

I think they have all had their time. For me neither of those have aged well in terms of comedy. What I found funny 30 plus years ago, is no longer the same as I have grown up. There are jokes in Fawlty Towers which are xenophobic and let's face it why Cleese is dragging up his character up again to appeal to the Brexit crowd.
There are jokes in Blackadder and Only Fools which are xenophobic. Alot gets made of FT because Clesse is who he is now. The main problems people have with FT are the old Major who was regularly mocked and belittled and when Basil Fawlty had a go the Germans while suffering a massive concussion. All taken in context they are not bad. Do I agree with Cleese now? Not really but I'm not going to stop finding things funny because I don't agree with someone's politics

Always been a fan of FT but can't imagine a revival is going to be much cop, especially with the way Cleese has been going the past few years - just going to be full of jokes about cancel culture and how he's been silenced despite being there on your screen

FT the joke is how ******* awful these people actually are and shouldn't be taken seriously. I worry Cleese won't get that.

OFAH I saw an episode the other year and was pleasantly surprised how un problematic it was especially where veering towards topics of homosexuality. I think people think its worse than it actually is.

FT the joke is how ******* awful these people actually are and shouldn't be taken seriously. I worry Cleese won't get that.

OFAH I saw an episode the other year and was pleasantly surprised how un problematic it was especially where veering towards topics of homosexuality. I think people think its worse than it actually is.
The man that co-wrote Life of Brian wouldn't get it?

The man that co-wrote Life of Brian wouldn't get it?
Honestly its maddening reading anything Cleese has to say these days for that very reason. Like dude how can you be so cutting and understanding way back when and then talk such nonsense for todays age.

There are jokes in Blackadder and Only Fools which are xenophobic. Alot gets made of FT because Clesse is who he is now. The main problems people have with FT are the old Major who was regularly mocked and belittled and when Basil Fawlty had a go the Germans while suffering a massive concussion. All taken in context they are not bad. Do I agree with Cleese now? Not really but I'm not going to stop finding things funny because I don't agree with someone's politics
Oh defo agree on OFAH. One episode I saw was referring to them going for a Chinese in the derogatory sense. Normalised that kind of language but since then that's been cut out largely.

Cleese is a client at my old firm I used to work for. Don't think he's got some love of Britain. He's gone non-UK resident for tax purposes because he's right royally fcuked off with this country and its media.

It's still funny.
It was of its time and a masterpiece of that time. I still watch it when it comes on - it's comfy old slipper time rather than howl out loud stuff. But resurrecting it has to be a mistake.

Generally - every generation sees things differently to those that have gone before. FT and other programs contained some content that wouldn't be acceptable now, while some like Mind Your Language or It Ain't Half Hot Mum will never see the light of day again. But your kids in 2040 will have a very different view of what's acceptable and what's funny to you in 2023. And theirs to them etc. It's just the way the world works.

Honestly its maddening reading anything Cleese has to say these days for that very reason. Like dude how can you be so cutting and understanding way back when and then talk such nonsense for todays age.
Yeah it's not going to stop me finding something he writes funny if it is funny. It's fine for people to have different opinions to me.

Latest posts