Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharks

• Stormers

• Waratahs

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jan 30 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Fushi and I said this earlier, but if they sort out their defence I think they might. The Reds have too much individual talent to rest on their laurels, you're really going to need Horwill to make a quick recovery though, his leadership will be vital.[/b]

The best thing to happen for the Reds is Phil Mooney IMO...

Last year I said they were going to make huge improvements with the talent they had but was severely disappointed...

Aside from Braid they don't really have any new exciting personnel on hand, but I think that they might do better as Mooney has now had a year to work on them, and they definitely showed improvement in the latter stages of the competition last year...

Anyways, I'm really excited about the Brumbies this year... even if they don't make the finals...

Personally I think that if they don't make it up there this year, they'll be there next year... I'm particularly excited about the new coaching staff, and the amount of talent there is in the team...

I don't believe we had as much depth last year, but this year there's so much competition in the forward pack that the only guaranteed positions are Stephen Moore, Mark Chisholm, Stephen Hoiles and George Smith... and whether or not Kimlin will play at lock or flanker... otherwise we've got guys like Mitchell Chapman, Julian Salvi, Sitaleki Timani and Shawn Mackay all competing for spots in the backrow, and Shepherdson, Henderson, Ben Alexander, Maafu and Ulugia all competing for prop positions...

And the backline should hopefully function better with Lealiifano having a year of Super 14 under his belt (like Beale last year)... although he's not guaranteed a starting spot with Toomua there... and there's competition with the halfback spots with Stannard coming over... and now it looks like a guy like Tyrone Smith will have to settle for the bench...

I'm drunk... and can't wait for the new season to start!

im gonna go and say the Chiefs.
I'm probably wrong but their talent has to pay off sometime.
They have an almost all black backline.
Hika elliot was a good steal and brings some power to the breakdown.
also liam messam and sioine need to stop pretending their backs.
Messams all black training would've helped that.
If only they gave warren gatland the job when he asked... they would've won last year.

I can't believe the Hurricanes are favourites on the poll. I mean I support them and we have a good team but we really don't have the temprament or the consistency to win the whole thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 11 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't believe the Hurricanes are favourites on the poll. I mean I support them and we have a good team but we really don't have the temprament or the consistency to win the whole thing.[/b]

i totally agree. hurricanes have the tallent but they won't win. waratahs or sharks for mine...

I'm seeing the Chiefs as SERIOUS contenders this year. There is one thing they seem to be doing better than any other team atm, and that's scoring tries...

Chiefs vs Sharks in the final. Sharks to win a looooooooooong overdue ***le!

*EDIT: Post 900! Woooooooot!!!

Here’s some interesting figures based on the statistics coming out of the past Super 14.
1] Take the following factors into account :

Ball Caries Conversions Def. Beaten Drop Goals Kicks from hand Lineouts Lost Lineouts Won Metres Gained Missed Goals Missed Tackles Offloads Passes Penalty Goals Pens. Conceded Red Cards Rucks Lost Rucks Won Scrums Lost Scrums Won Tackles Made Tries Scored T/O Conceded Yellow Cards

2] ...give each team a percentage in terms of these factors.

3] ... now rank the teams - by calculating their average percentage.

I get the following interesting ranking for the teams :

Blues 85.91
Crusaders 79.11
Western Force 78.46
Waratahs 76.1
Brumbies 72.69
Reds 72.26
Hurricanes 71.38
Stormers 69.13
Highlanders 67.68
Sharks 65.93
Chiefs 65.49
Lions 64.37
Cheetahs 62.53
Bulls 62.01

... does this mean that stats mean absolutely Jack Sh.. or was this Super 14 an exception to the rule ?

Here's what I think :
Although these stats did not (does not) forecast the log endings this past season, I nevertheless think that they are valid to a greater extent than what we might think. I think that it probably takes more than one season for it (these stats) to synchronise with the final log.

So, the teams that manage to hang in their (and not collapse under the memories of losses in spite of their best efforts) will turn their good stats into wins.
Also, teams who have great stats for the past season yet are now loosing players to the NH and other clubs will not turn their good stats into wins.

CONSISTENCY !

Therefore : See which teams have good stats as well as the greatest prospects of consistency and I think you'll have the final four for the next one.

Gotta point out though : With all the constant childish meddling and racism from management in SA rugby it excludes almost all SA teams from attaining the badge of 'consistent' in the foreseeable future, save maybe the Bulls and that to is a big maybe !

Crusaders, Chiefs, Tahs and yes ... the Reds (at least lifting off from the spoon platform)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Mar 11 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't believe the Hurricanes are favourites on the poll. I mean I support them and we have a good team but we really don't have the temprament or the consistency to win the whole thing.[/b]

Ref. my post just previous here 'bout consistency, REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST, KEEP ON GOING, SOONER OR LATER THE BREAKTROUGH COMES - for the Canes to.

I believe the Canes have had some consistency, anyway more than many other teams in the comp.

Canes to get into the No 5 position.

Latest posts