• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Sharks backline would you select for 2012?

So who would you want to trade for de Jongh?

How about Alberts + Ndungane ;)

You must be out of your mind, hey how about you rather send Viljoen our way instead of wasting his talent in that humid hellhole :p We'll give you Jantjes and have Januarie and Naqllavuakeakie send you a postcard.

What has happened to Mark Richards? With the sevens according to one source.
He did well at the start of the season and didn't seem to do anything wrong.
Gouws Prinsloo has been suggested on Sharksworld. Not heard too much about him, can anybody fill me in on him?

Regular fullback for the u21s this season, takes the kicks, a decent runner with the ball but I think he will turn into one of those kicking fullbacks rather than an attacking/ running one.

Regular fullback for the u21s this season, takes the kicks, a decent runner with the ball but I think he will turn into one of those kicking fullbacks rather than an attacking/ running one.

Riaan Viljoen seems to have a good balance between running and kicking. I would like a fullback with a bit more pace than Ludik, who is a good defender but seems almost laboured when hitting the line.

15. Terblanche (He is world class at fullback, not outside centre)
14. Viljoen (I love him at flyhalf, but that is obviously a position for Freddie)
13. Ludik (Why not?)
12. Lambie
11. Mvovo
10. Michalak
9. Hoffmann

Okay I'll take a stab at this, and hope I can make the same thread on the Bulls, but only after all the trades has been finalised (thank goodness Habana Signed for the Stormers again)...

15. Louis Ludick
14. JP Pietersen
13. Riaan Viljoen
12. Meyer Bosman
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Pat Lambie
9. Freddy Michalak

20. Conrad Hoffman
21. Charl Mcleod
22. Sibusiso Sithole

You guys have 3 quality scrumhalves and yes I include Michalak as a scrummie (purely because I pick him there on rugby 08 and RWC2011). Lambie should become accustomed to playing fly-half as that is where the Boks will utilize him. Riaan Viljoen versatile and can basically play anywhere in the backline... Marius Joubert is a has-been, get rid of him, Riaan Viljoen and Meyer Bosman could be a deadly combination in the centres...

Mvovo should work on his defence, if he can sort that out, he'll be the best winger in the country!

Agree about Lambie at outside half. I think everybody knows my position there...
Ludik at outside centre is a thought. Good defence and safe hands. Perhaps not quick enough for back three but certainly good enough for midfield. Bosman has given me reason for optimism, he has seemed decent during the CC. I actually wish we had him starting, which might be due to the fact Joubert is the backup, but still. (He also can cover outside half)
Put Viljoen at fullback and pair Mvovo and Pietersen on the wings (Sithole/Ndungane on bench).

I'd be tempted to see how Hoffmann goes as scrum half during the S15. He has made a few blunders during the CC but I have certainly seen more positives than negatives, and he is definitely getting more comfortable starting

My preferred backline:

15. Riaan Viljoen
14. JP Pietersen
13. Adi Jacobs
12. Patrick Lambie
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Frederic Michalak
9. Ross Cronje

With Hoffmann, Ludik, Sithole, Ndungane, Bosman and Joubert we have several utility backs. Ain't life great when you're a Sharks fan?

Ain't life great when you're a Sharks fan?

The Bulls Backline for next year:

15. Zane Kirchner
14. JJ Engelbrecht
13. Johan Sadie
12. Wynand Olivier
11. Bjorn Basson
10. Morne Steyn
9. Francois Hougaard

bench players:

15. Jurgen Visser
14. Akona Ndungane
13. Jaco Pretorius
12. Francois Venter
11. Gerhard van den Heever
10. Louis Fouche
9. Jano Vermaak

I actually wanted Francois Venter ahead of Wynand Olivier, but he needs another year before he can be up to where I want him to be... Guys like Stefan Watermeyer also needs to be there and I think Wynand Olivier's time is almost up... if not already

Oops! With that quote I was actually talking about our backrow:

6. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel
8. Ryan Kankowski

backup:

6. Jacques Botes
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Willem Alberts

Oops! With that quote I was actually talking about our backrow:

6. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel
8. Ryan Kankowski

backup:

6. Jacques Botes
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Willem Alberts

Thanks you and thank you.
Now the question is who will be our wing forward on the bench? I would say Alberts, as he seems to have a greater impact potential than Coetzee.
Hopefully we can get a good back row rotation to avoid players getting burnt out.

I think Coetzee is one for the future, but with the long season (16 Super Rugby matches, 10 Currie Cup matches) without play offs. I think all will get their fair share of matches to be played. Deysel might focus on the second row, with Mostert and Sykes gone and Hargreaves suffering from injury too much.

Tsk tsk tsk, why do the Sharks persist with foreign fly-halves, don't you guys have any good local talent for that position? Also stop messing Lambie around! You guys have broken enough guys that way. Play him in one position and keep him there. Possibly fly-half? Or is he really that good at 12, or are you guys just desperately in need of a good 12?

Both... Lambie is at his best at inside-center, and we need one since Bosman and Joubert are both only average. I am not a bit Michalak fan but he does bring something different to the mix, to be honest. Is it a good thing? Don't know.

The major talent for his position is Guy Cronje (Ross Cronje's twin brother) but he has been struggling with injuries for 2 years and is unlikely to make the switch from College Rovers to the Sharks again. Who else do we have? Bosman can play there, Viljoen, Hoffmann... Enough options. We've had some issues in the past with players being tossed around the backline, including Brent Russell, Brad Barritt and most recently Francois Steyn and Ruan Pienaar. If I remember correctly, we've had the following players filling the Fly-half position in the last 5 years:

Stefan Terblanche, Ruan Pienaar, Juan Martin Hernandez, Andy Goode (What's in a name?), Rory Kockott, Francois Steyn, Brad Barritt, Guy Cronje, Ross Cronje, Frederic Michalak, Patrick Lambie, Steve Meyer, Monty Dumond, Butch James, Andre Pretorius, Meyer Bosman, Scott Mathie, Brent Russell and Rudi Keil... And I probably left a couple out because I cannot think of them at the moment. This is ridiculous of course, I agree. But now we have options. I opt for Lambie at inside center while Michalak is around and move him to fly-half once he's gone.

See that's the part I don't like much, "move him to fly-half once he's gone." sounds so unhealthy :/ I would love it for the Sharks if they keep lambie at 10 and get F.Steyn at 12.

Fransie at 12 would be the missing link for us. The thing is that Michalak actually adds some spark and variety to our attack. If we can acquire Francois' services, I'd send Michalak back immediately though

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Argh, can we change the ***le? It's an honest mistake, but the 'Who Sharks back line' just makes me cringe. :p

Ah, come on Plum, get your priorities in order, Sharks first, then Boks :D
Nah, I'm also one of those international before club people, but with the talent on hand in the fly-half position, I see nothing wrong with letting Lambie develop his already impressive skillz acting as a second fly-half in the inside centre position.

Edit: According to Sharks world we have signed Tim Whitehead, Guy Cronje has accepted a contract from the Lions and Ross is still contemplating his offer from them.

Last edited:
Poaching Shar-... hang on, never mind ;)

We need to get Francois back to play centre.

Is Whitehead any good. I am now skeptical of any Sharks centre.

Edit: According to Sharks world we have signed Tim Whitehead

He's that guy who played 13 for a couple of games for WP in the currie cup right? looks a bit like a moffie to me...

Anyways, Why are they buying more centres?? is this a sign that Stefan Terblanche will finally exchange his rugby boots for the wheelchair??