• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why is Wales v Australia in Cardiff?

T

timmyhoran

Does anyone know why, when the WC is in France ,that Australia are playing Wales in Cardiff. It seems like a huge advantage to give Wales when the game should be played on neutral ground. And the Welsh aren't playing any of there gimme pool games in Cardiff. How did they swing this? Not that it really matters if we can't beat Wales we don't deserve to be world champions. Also it is really irrevelent who comes 1st or 2nd in this pool as you'll still have to play England or South Africa which are equally as hard. It just seems a little strange.

Totally agreed. This is just an example of how the IRB intend to make more "match ups" out of WC fixtures. It's not technically fair, although good for the World Cup.

Although if Australia somehow lose, they have an excuse that is legitimate and Wales, sadly don't and won't deserve one.

I would have thought they would rather the game in France for monetary reasons, as the Welsh flocking into France would add huge amounts of revenue to the economy...

France probably offered them a match in Wales in exchange for Wales voting for France to host the RWC07

Yup, it has always worked that way, in the NH anyway. France offered us 2 home games in return for voting for them. If I remember right, this was the same in the '99 world cup where France got a couple of games in France.

I don't condone it, but I'm not complaining!

They've also taken the savvy move of cancelling all trains out of Cardiff that night so the Australians have to stay in hotels and spend more money.

originally i dont think France had enough stadia, and so 3 games were to be played at the millenium and 3 at LR - but as that is under reconstruction an extra game is being played in Cardif and 2 games have been moved to murrayfield.

it also makes sense to make sure that Scotland are playing at murrayfield and Wales are playing in Cardiff for the same reason the hosts always qualify - you get empty grounds if they dont! (the SRU realised this the last time Scotland hosted games.)

This is just what I have heard, but I think that it is because when France bidded for the World Cup to take place there, Wales voted for them, and as a result France gave Wales' main pool game (Aus) at Cardiff.

Exactly, why not one of the other pool games? Simply, because Wales needs this home ground advantage, and why not?

It'll make for a more even game. Though I think they'll lose by 15 anyway.

the fact of the matter is that wales have no direction, no substance, so it wouldny f***ing matter if we were playing down the ******* mines wed still loose!!

Does anyone know why, when the WC is in France ,that Australia are playing Wales in Cardiff. It seems like a huge advantage to give Wales when the game should be played on neutral ground. And the Welsh aren't playing any of there gimme pool games in Cardiff. How did they swing this? Not that it really matters if we can't beat Wales we don't deserve to be world champions. Also it is really irrevelent who comes 1st or 2nd in this pool as you'll still have to play England or South Africa which are equally as hard. It just seems a little strange. [/b]

Wales have a WC match at home thanks to a process known as a "rigged vote." Before the vote for the 2007 RWC, France said to Wales "I'll give you a group match and a Quarter Final berth if you vote for me" and Wales, being easily bought, said "okay."

New Zealand also benefitied from this modern and progressive way of deciding where to hold a World Cup. Because Japan didn't have anything of value in Rugby terms to offer, they simply couldn't compete with the tantilising prospect of repeat lucrative All Black tours to your home stadium (or, to put it another way "guaranteeing lots of money for your revenue streams and monetizing your home stadium"). Imagine the scene during the New Zealand RFU presentation on why they should get the World Cup:

<Ireland> Can you hear anything from this guy? All I can hear is a cash register going "cha-ching! cha-ching!"
<England> All I can hear is a Fruit Machine going "ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!"

I don't even think anyone even attended Japan's presentation. The fags.

I don't even think anyone even attended Japan's presentation. The fags.
[/b]
Us Aussies did ;) We got guaranteed All Blacks matches to the end of time so we went to actually benifit the sport as a whole :)

Read in the good ol West Australian today they may call off the overseas World Cup matches because of that dreadful foot in mouth disease....we don't want no dead Aussies now do we?

Nah, they lifted the Foot & Mouth restrictions in the UK. Anyway that is stupid as the restrictions only affected areas in South East England and not in the other three parts of the UK :p It is up to the Scottish & Welsh Executives to decide on Foot & Mouth yadda yadda yadda, anyway, the matches in Cardiff and Edinburgh will go ahead.

And how is making sure Australia gets loads of All Black matches going to benefit the sport more than introducing the game properly to a Tier II nation in a big jamboree of Rugby? The iRB should be trying to spread the game far and wide, I want Rugby World Cups in Japan, China, South America, North America!

And how is making sure Australia gets loads of All Black matches going to benefit the sport more than introducing the game properly to a Tier II nation in a big jamboree of Rugby? The iRB should be trying to spread the game far and wide, I want Rugby World Cups in Japan, China, South America, North America!
[/b]
No, what I meant is Australia, because of the Bledisloe, will always get matches against the All Blacks so we decided to vote for Japan...

will the 2015 tournament definatly take place in the NH?

and good news (for me) is that we should find out in the next few weeks if event Scotland are going to suggest the SRU bid for it.

Nah, they lifted the Foot & Mouth restrictions in the UK. Anyway that is stupid as the restrictions only affected areas in South East England and not in the other three parts of the UK :p It is up to the Scottish & Welsh Executives to decide on Foot & Mouth yadda yadda yadda, anyway, the matches in Cardiff and Edinburgh will go ahead.

And how is making sure Australia gets loads of All Black matches going to benefit the sport more than introducing the game properly to a Tier II nation in a big jamboree of Rugby? The iRB should be trying to spread the game far and wide, I want Rugby World Cups in Japan, China, South America, North America! [/b]

in the west indies and scandinavia too!

originally i dont think France had enough stadia, and so 3 games were to be played at the millenium and 3 at LR - but as that is under reconstruction an extra game is being played in Cardif and 2 games have been moved to murrayfield.[/b]

It's a pity the IRFU turned down the chance. The GAA would probably have jumped at the idea of having a World Cup game and the international audience highlighting Croker.

the fact of the matter is that wales have no direction, no substance, so it wouldny f***ing matter if we were playing down the ******* mines wed still loose!! [/b]

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

To be honest i think the difference in ticket prices are f!!!!n stupid. Anyone see scrum V. Wales Vs Australia last november in a certain seat like £35. Same seat in spetember £90. We are being ripped off. its cheaper to go and watch one of the other games against fiji. I'm contamplating it!! really am. I would love to see the flying fijians in action!

Latest posts