• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why the big fuss over JLR ?

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Mar 30 2006, 06:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mikmo
@Mar 30 2006, 04:03 AM
If i could pick only one game to play for the rest of my life it would be JLR...

Only one game pips JLR for me if I had to give out the "game for life" tag.

Goldeneye.

That was only because Goldeneye had four players against each other.

JLR would be the sports game for me of all time [/b]
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

GOLDEN EYE!!!!

i loved that game!!!!

especially multiplayer

....ahhhh the memories.........

All this reminiscing is making me depressed...we should with all of todays technology NEVER be looking back to the past as our best gaming experiences...

Probably becasue a lot of today's gaming environment is money based rather than the fine art of gaming design.

Originally posted by sambãd5@Mar 26 2006, 12:30 PM
gameplay was superb. fast, offloads, best kicking system by far. no animations to slow the game down. best rucking system to date. best scrum and maul capabilitiies. best multi player game ever. lineouts were good.

graphics? the games almost as old as rassie. give it a break. the only real bad things about it would be the fact that you can fend a whole team and theres no set plays.
The graphical superiority of the new rugby games is the reason that they are not as playable as JLR. Why? Because all the actions in the game have to match up with the animations of the players. You are a slave to the animation system. In JLR, the game play possibilities are almost limitless: you can do what you want, whenever you want. In the newer games, the gameplay is much more restricted.

If JLR seems fast to a newbie, that is because it is! It is fast and responsive, and takes a long time to master. Me and my brothers played it for years, and it took us years to master the game completely. Whenever we are all back home again, it is still the game we love to play, as its still by far the most playable rugby game ever made.

The people who say that it was important for you to have a playing partner to develop with are right though. It is a crap one player game, and there are so so many skills to learn, and so much room for improvement, that games can be very one sided with two mismatched players.

I love the way styles of play actually mean something in JLR. eg me and my 2 brothers - I can nearly always beat one of them, and the other one nearly always beats me. However, the one who I usually beat, he normally beats the one I normall lose to! All about style!

My sister got a boyfriend recently, and he claimed he was a bit of a Lomu master.... thought he knew all the tricks. When I played him, first lineout, and he saw my number 8 leap 10foot, then run 10m up the pitch whilst mid air, he had to think again! :):)

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Mar 30 2006, 08:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mikmo
@Mar 30 2006, 04:03 AM
If i could pick only one game to play for the rest of my life it would be JLR...

Only one game pips JLR for me if I had to give out the "game for life" tag.

Goldeneye.

That was only because Goldeneye had four players against each other.

JLR would be the sports game for me of all time [/b]
JLR best sports game ever, for sure.

Re: goldeneye tho, that is topped by Counterstrike for me. My first job after uni was progrmaming for a games company, and every lunchtime we'd down tools and play Counterstrike... two teams of 4..... he programmers v the artists.... that was true multiplayer nirvana!

Originally posted by thomashenry@Apr 25 2006, 11:44 PM

That's a big call... especially considering both PES5 and the Madden NFL ***les reproduce their respective (albiet boring) sports almost flawlessly... JLR was a great rugby game for its time no doubt, but best sports game of all time? please :rolleyes: .

jlr is the greatest sports game I have ever played as I like rugby and the fun factor is huge. Only thing that comes close is NBA Street Vol. 2. Couldn't give a **** how well a sports game recreates the actual sport, its got to be fun.

Originally posted by Serge@Apr 26 2006, 11:32 AM
jlr is the greatest sports game I have ever played as I like rugby and the fun factor is huge. Only thing that comes close is NBA Street Vol. 2. Couldn't give a **** how well a sports game recreates the actual sport, its got to be fun.
Agree 100%

NBA Street was fun aswell, but didn't really last too long for me.

Originally posted by Serge@Apr 26 2006, 10:32 AM
I suppose it comes down to your criterier for quality then I guess... I personally don't find a sports game very enjoyable if it doesn't really feel like the sport it's portraying... which is why I disliked RC 06.

Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 26 2006, 11:06 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-thomashenry
@Apr 25 2006, 11:44 PM

That's a big call... especially considering both PES5 and the Madden NFL ***les reproduce their respective (albiet boring) sports almost flawlessly... JLR was a great rugby game for its time no doubt, but best sports game of all time? please :rolleyes: . [/b]
Madden series is not bad, but it is simulating a crap sport, so it's damned from the start!!! ;)

The PES series is superb, granted, and if footy is your thing, then they are better sports games, of course....

I am a Rugby man tho!

Originally posted by thomashenry+Apr 26 2006, 11:10 PM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 26 2006, 11:06 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-thomashenry
@Apr 25 2006, 11:44 PM

That's a big call... especially considering both PES5 and the Madden NFL ***les reproduce their respective (albiet boring) sports almost flawlessly... JLR was a great rugby game for its time no doubt, but best sports game of all time? please :rolleyes: .
Madden series is not bad, but it is simulating a crap sport, so it's damned from the start!!! ;)

The PES series is superb, granted, and if footy is your thing, then they are better sports games, of course....

I am a Rugby man tho! [/b]
totally agree on that point, I wouldn't play either PES or Madden over any rugby game... with the possible exeption of EA Rugby 04.

ooooohh man....so many sleepless battles playing n64's golden eye..that was one of the most enjoyable games EVER!...single player and multi player..jus so much to do

I think the reason people still vote this the best game is because it was the first rugby game and it was a awesome game it took them so many years to beat it but still give me jonnah lomu rugby any day

Originally posted by Candyman@May 4 2006, 08:30 PM
I think the reason people still vote this the best game is because it was the first rugby game and it was a awesome game it took them so many years to beat it but still give me jonnah lomu rugby any day
It is almost beaten.....R2006 is a draw at the moment.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+May 4 2006, 08:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Candyman
@May 4 2006, 08:30 PM
It is almost beaten.....R2006 is a draw at the moment. [/b]
I totally agree with ya man

IMO

JLR HAS BE PIPPED BY RUGBY2006

I knew the day would come - but didnt predict a decade afterwards.

Talk about being in neutral for 10 yrs - the developers that is

I agree with you in some parts but it is just hard for as lomu was the first one i played and it was the best in my view

As far as not seeing the ball, either your TV is too small, or you just need more practice at it. Of course the graphics aren't as good, it's 10 years old, but the body-shapes, the physics and the animation are all solid. In terms of gameplay here's a little picture of the new features in Rugby 06: offloads, quick line-outs, quick taps, late/dangerous tackles. In short, it has taken EA 10 years to catch up, and they've still not implemented any of it to the same degree as JLR. It is still the king. It's just such a pity that Swordfish never faithfully recreated it; WCR wasn't bad, but it didn't come close. All they really needed to do was bolster the graphics and add club teams.

Latest posts