• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why the big fuss over JLR ?

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Mar 30 2006, 08:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mikmo
@Mar 30 2006, 04:03 AM
If i could pick only one game to play for the rest of my life it would be JLR...

Only one game pips JLR for me if I had to give out the "game for life" tag.

Goldeneye.

That was only because Goldeneye had four players against each other.

JLR would be the sports game for me of all time [/b]
JLR best sports game ever, for sure.

Re: goldeneye tho, that is topped by Counterstrike for me. My first job after uni was progrmaming for a games company, and every lunchtime we'd down tools and play Counterstrike... two teams of 4..... he programmers v the artists.... that was true multiplayer nirvana!
[/b]
Lol not fair! Counter strike was PC and not a console...nothing from a console could compare with it back then. Though if we are to talk about PC FPS games then I would say Unreal Tournament had more significance as a FPS than Counter Strike. Counter Strike was simply adding to the genre while Unreal Tournament had revolutionarised it.

all this talk of the great jonah talks is making me emo, so many great memories

i remember back in 2004 at my hostel in wellington i met three fellow jonah veterans. we organised a tournament and it was great fun, three different playing styles (and one chump) from different areas of NZ. one conservative player who could dominate the set peices and play 10 man rugby(unbeatable on his day, but was erratic like france), one super offloader who never kicked and me who was a balance between the two.

the tournaments were epic.

i agree that 06 is equal ovreall. it has superior one player but you cant beat jonah between two masters. to me that is the test rugby of gaming, and 06 two player is like that step down at super 14.

my bad i meant that the super offloader was erratic like france.

Oh man the JLR battles. I haven't played for so long so I can't throw chat out about how good i am because I probably can't still back it up.

It used to be the only game in my PS from 1997 onwards. My whole neighbourhood would play. So many good memories. After reaching Jedi levels of greatness and intuition, I met my match after about 4 years undefeated - my mates brother went away and trained up.

My greatest weakness and I think the greatest flaw and the higher levels of multi player were the unbeatable mauls... Play as NZ and 30 metres out and guaranteed pushover try.

Also Pro Tip: Although not advertised, the analogue controller works with this game. Try it! Adds about ten new dimensions to the game once you master the flinchiness of it.

Was anyone else aware of this or is it just me?

all this talk of the great jonah talks is making me emo, so many great memories

i remember back in 2004 at my hostel in wellington i met three fellow jonah veterans. we organised a tournament and it was great fun, three different playing styles (and one chump) from different areas of NZ. one conservative player who could dominate the set peices and play 10 man rugby(unbeatable on his day, but was erratic like france), one super offloader who never kicked and me who was a balance between the two.

the tournaments were epic.

i agree that 06 is equal ovreall. it has superior one player but you cant beat jonah between two masters. to me that is the test rugby of gaming, and 06 two player is like that step down at super 14.

my bad i meant that the super offloader was erratic like france. [/b]

Rugby 06 makes you play the game a certain way (easy turnovers etc; must play kicking game to win) whereas in Jonah, you could basically win every ruck against the CPU and weaker opponents (I called that move the double touch - the ol' remove player and then rejoin quickly). Much more controllable and epic than 06.

06 is the Super Model, JLR is a hot chick that likes to drink beer and watch football all weekend

Greatest rugby game ever. Greatest sports game ever.

I loved it. JUst so good. Everything about it. Cant believe anyone would say its crap or the graphics are ****, you must be crap and it was made 10 years ago and is awesome for its time, its still an awesome game. I have rugby 04 and its really crap compared to Lomu. Was just really slow and unrealistic, especially in the rucks. And all the set play crap ****** me off on it.

Will always remain as the king. Nothing will match it. Nothing.

Lol yeah JLR was the best rugby game but playing against the cpu was way to easy. It was Hilarious how you could pass the ball to a forward or out to Jonah and fend off the whole opposition.

Playing 2P was awesome but became a game of who knew the most glitches like passing off the ground after being tackled or that stupid one when you stand in one place and players bounce off you lol.

I haven't played JLR for about 4 years but I put it on my Psp and it still awesome beta on PSX though too hard to fend on Psp.

mayerhoflerPosted Jul 18 2007, 11:13 PM it is srtill the best 2 player game out of all the rugby games yet

Totally agree with u. :bravo:

I think even with EA's half hearted approach to Rugby 08, EA's ***les are still way better than any other rugby game.

I just hope another company develops a better rugby game than EA so they an have some real competition....so they can put real effort into the Rugby ***les.

I think even with EA's half hearted approach to Rugby 08, EA's ***les are still way better than any other rugby game.

I just hope another company develops a better rugby game than EA so they an have some real competition....so they can put real effort into the Rugby ***les.
[/b]
:%#%#: i agree rugby challange had all the leagues that u needed liecenced why couldnt rugby 08 have them? im fed up of the welsh regions with wrong kits and ospreys playin gat "west glamorgan"?, and all the right rosters would be nice to, so jonah still gets the best game ***le from me

the thing that made this game awesome was when the bugs got the better of the game and hilarious things would happen. that at the sound of the commnetators trying to pronounce the names of the taipei national team. i think one guy was called laksamasingpong and that always had me in stiches.

the thing that made this game awesome was when the bugs got the better of the game and hilarious things would happen. that at the sound of the commnetators trying to pronounce the names of the taipei national team. i think one guy was called laksamasingpong and that always had me in stiches.
[/b]
and ofahengaue for australia!

i was in gamestation this week and saw jonah preowned for a quid on PS1,so i thought couldnt give this a miss, whipped out the PS2 the minute i got in, the excitement i had was so much more than any PS3 game i have bought over the past few months, and the minute i got playing i remembered why it was so much fun, it runs like real rugby, you can actually find space on the pitch to run. The gameplay is so ahead of its time, Without a doubt the most enjoyable 2 player experience ever made, single player lacks creativity but the same can be said with most sports games

Also when i opened my PS2 i found NFL street inside, so i gave that a go and why EA do not use the same engine as this for their rugby games i have no idea, this game was made in 2003 yet it plays so much smoother than any rugby game made since..... bring back 97, Bring back LOMU!!

I remember just playing it against my brother for hours. He would get the shits because I would always force him into committing penalties and I would then just bang over the 3 points.

I'm getting JLR for PS once more and i am going to use the team line-ups to help make the roster for the Legends Patch for R08 (and possibly copy it over for R06 too) i will add a few new names to the mix, but it should be reminiscent.

Sadly, we can't do jackshit about the gameplay issues. Still it will match JLR for the very limited options lol

Yep it's L1&L2 to fend to the left side of you and R1&R2 to fend to the right side of you or if you wanna step press L2&R2 or L1&R1. I'm playing it right now on my lappy and it still rocks. I just finished fending off the whole opposition with Zinzan Brooke hahaha.

Strange that you could recognise the JLR players easier than the EA Rugby ones when playing.

Lol. True that. Whichever team you payed as you somehow knew who had the ball.. Mind you I often got confused between Osbourne and Mehrtens. I'd try and fend a tackler behind me with what I would think would be Osbourne, only to be dragged down.

Mind you I often got confused between Osbourne and Mehrtens. I'd try and fend a tackler behind me with what I would think would be Osbourne, only to be dragged down. [/b]

Everyone had that problem lol! they should have made Osbourne a little bit taller. However we all knew and loved it when WILSON got the ball lol!

Latest posts