• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why the big fuss over JLR ?

Yeah I'm using a iso but I'm running a Psx emulator and it looks awesome witha good graphics card.

This game is and will probably be one of the greatest rugby games released. I still play it today, everything in it seems to be done right, esp mauls etc. The EA versions have hope if more effort is put into them and they need to get more action/talking in the commentary box - i reckon thats one of the most important things to consider in a rugby game.

Jonah Lomu Rugby = The great game of all time

I played this for hours on end and no rugby game to date has matched Jonah Lomu rugby.

I wasted about 4 years of my childhood on this game. Happened to find it this morning in one a box in my garage, now I can't find my bleeding PS <_< .

The Rage All Stars team is what I remember clearly, especially big Trevor Williams at fullback. He was like 3 times as big as Lomu and whenever he was lying on the ground it looked hilarious because he was at about 5m long. Lee Mather on the wing also, was virtually a speck on the screen he was that small. He still fended like crazy and had insane pace. Then there's Stan McCabe at 1st5 taking 100m goal kicks :lol: , brilliant.

Dunno what was up with team Codemasters though, they were ****. I got sick of hearing Bill McLaren say "David Darling" every 5 seconds.

i think thats whats really missing in ea - rolling mauls, and possibly, a sence of humour. im not sure if they would be able to get away with a rage style team. maybie if they did a storyline or something to do a legends team, where you had players who aledged they had a huge kick, or crippled people in tackles etc, i dinno.

but yeah rolling mauls brings me back. and pick and goes. nothing like making 20-30m to centre feild by a maul from a lineout, then to pass it to a couple of loosies who would place it down for a quick darting run. also doing huge bombs into the in goal for someone to jump to score a try....

im with wc on the codies though. wtf? they wernt even competitive...

Thanks to John O'Neil, we'll never see a rolling maul in any future rugby games. Electronic or otherwise.

Doesn't matter whether you like it or lump it... JLR IS STILL KING!

-gameplay is fast and none of this loading crap, showing useless clips! All you want is replay of a try and maybe a kick or some glitch you find.
-srums are still the best... where you can actually scrum all the way down the field!:lol:
-rucks are still the best... where you can actually take out players!
-quick restarts/throw-ins ARE ACTUALLY QUICK! :bravo:
-you can actually choose what type of tackle you use to bring a big person down or smash the five-eighth!
-lineouts are still the best... fast, easy and you're able to choose EVERYONE IN THE LINEOUT! YAY!
-and last but not least... its just SO MUCH FUN!

bought it of trade me and recieved it yesterday - spent a full 2 hours on it last night trying to remember buttons and all, and try of few of the tricks i've read on the forum! I never pretended to be good at it - but still, i had so much fun compared to the same 2 hours i'd have spent on Rugby 06 or 08.

Don't get me wrong: graphics, sound, stadiums, no subs, etc... it's all pretty bad, but when you look past that and concentrate on the gameplay, then you realise it's just the most awesome rugby game ever made! even the weather patterns are cool! And as Gay-Guy was saying, there seems to be no limit to the way you can construct your play, and most importantly, the game itself doesn't force you to use always the same tactic to retain the ball or score tries...

Am probalby the 200,000th person wondering: Why didn't they just keep the same mechanics and just get better graphics... that's beyond me...

Anyways, it's good to have that game again and will definitely fill my rugby gaming needs until something a bit playable comes out on new gen consoles...

:eek:)

JLR is still king, after picking up a new pc i may look into hitting this one up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Mar 6 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Am probalby the 200,000th person wondering: Why didn't they just keep the same mechanics and just get better graphics... that's beyond me...[/b]
I would say there are a few million.

JLR is probably number two on my all time list.

I traded my ps2 two in to get my xbox 360 cheaper
I'm facing withdrawal symptons not being able to play it anymore, bummer I didn't have a PS1 memory card to save it.

Can someone tell me how to play it on the computer?

Also the biggest disapointment I've faced with the game is trying to get new people to play it
I try to teach my mates how good the game is, they will say "the graphics are ****" and I've got no one to play against.

I don't think you can download the demo anymore for the PC....

I do know someone who still has the JLR CD....

JLR, is just purely and simply.. a classic. It had gameplay beyond it's years. That never ages, the graphics do look ancient now.. i have it for PSX. I was always shite at it, but i can appreciate the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Mar 6 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
JLR is still king, after picking up a new pc i may look into hitting this one up[/b]
You have a Ps3....all types of Ps3 play Ps1 games...just look around for a Ps1 JLR copy.

Yep...then play JLR on your Ps3 on HDMI lol!!!!!

i dont wanna look around for jlr ps1
where can i find a link to get the download pc jlr?
i'll pay for it - just want it NOW!!

Latest posts