• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Lancaster mix it up for Italy?

Just seen:
B. Vunipola is a available for selection vs Italy. Farrell 50/50.
Morgan available vs Wales.
Corbs, Joseph, Croft, Clark, Johnson not available for the rest of the 6N.

If Farrell's out, then what? Flood will start, obv. but who on the bench? Is Burns fit enough? Will they use 36 as 10 cover from the bench?

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2013/rugby/story/177826.html

Interesting to see who's been released- not sure if it's a matter of just getting some game time for players or could be a sign that at least a few changes are forthcoming.

Would have liked to see Ashton released.

They're probably keeping Ashton to try and teach him to tackle..

If Burns isn't fit I think having 36 as a back up Fly-Half would be a risk and he'd be better used starting in the centers. Of course that poses the question, who is the 10 on the bench? Goode has played their in the past but seems unlikely to be dropped from the starting 15. That leaves Ford (ten minute first cap cameo), Shane Geraghty (doing okay at London Irish), Myler (not exactly setting the world on fire for Saints), Clegg (so poor Quins have loaned him to Bedford) or Botica (English qualified, talented) as potential replacement 10s I can think of off the top of my head.

Not the greatest list is it? If we have to have one of them I'd say Ford or, accusations of poaching aside, Botica if he'll play. This is of course all hypothetical, I'd much rather have Flood and Burns in the match day squad.

I'd take 36 as a back up 10 over Ford and definitely over Goode - he's at least played a few matches there this season. Would rather seem him start at 12, though.
Like you said, we don't exactly have a lot of options - Botica is a fantastic talent, and on great form...not English though. But if it's between him/Geraghty/Myler....
Bring back Andy Goode :lol:
Or a cheeky call up for Cipriani or Miller? :p

I'd like to see Billy Vunipola come onto the bench in place of Waldrom, too.

Edit: Just seen Burns is starting for Gloucester this weekend, so would be fit enough for a bench spot, I imagine. Gloucester aren't into the semis of the LV=, either, so he wouldn't be missing out on game time by benching - would be gaining some if anything.

Last edited:
We can just cross everything that he doesn't break again this weekend...

I had completely forgotten Cipriani, he seems to be scoring points at Sale now but I havn't seen a Sale game since about November so I have no idea if his play has improved.

I don't think SL will make wholesale changes. He'll want to maintain continuity. However I'd personally like to see a few changes for Italy.

1) I don't think Ashton is playing well so I'd like to see someone else being given an opportunity. Probably either May or Wade
2) Morgan back in a No.8 if fit and if not Vulipola
3) Wood back to blindside
4) Care in at SH. I think his game will ideally suit Italy.

Agreed with this. Also Mako V to start over Marler. Really don't care who's in at hooker to be honest, neither are really any good. Twelvetrees to get another opportunity to impress late on, Freddie Burns also. Wouldn't mind seeing one of Wade/May start and the other on the bench to come on in the last 20 too.

Burns is starting for Glaws this week, panic over.

I think Lancaster should, and will, experiment against Italy. Though he probably won't change as many things as some would like. I think Ashton will stay in, on the proviso that if he doesn't improve his defence, and score, in the next two matches he won't be near the squad for a while. Flood will probably start, given Farrell's injury, maybe with Farrell benched to give 30 minutes in the second half to warm-up. The problem was apparently him getting sufficient kicking practice, so maybe play him and get Flood/Goode/Twelvetrees to kick. Not ideal, but if the idea is to prepare for the Wales game then it'd be better than him getting no rugby whatsoever.

Personally:

1. Marler -- Castrogiovanni will be nice practice for Adam Jones, particularly if he spends all his time binding on the arm.
2. Hartley -- A last chance to see if he improves set play enough to discount the loss of Youngs in the loose.
3. Cole
4. Launchbury
5. Parling
6. Wood
7. Robshaw (c)
8. B. Vunipola -- lets Wood move back to the flank, a relatively easier start to international rugby.
9. Care -- If Flood gets a go, then Care certainly deserves his shot. More likely to play with Flood against Wales than Youngs, so give them time together.
10. Flood
11. Brown -- Would prefer Monye and a move to fullback, to rest/avoid injury, but that's probably not going to happen.
12. Barritt
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton -- As said, if he doesn't get on shoulders and score tries against Italy, that's the final straw.
15. Goode

16. T. Youngs
17. Wilson -- On at 50. Really doesn't get to play enough, through no fault of his own. Tighthead needs depth built beneath Cole.
18. M. Vunipola -- Needs time; if Marler has a rough game against Wales, then he will be important.
19. Lawes -- Not a blindside, but still had good games against Scotland and Ireland.
20. Haskell -- Solid so far, seems to have reduced his penalty count down. That being said, still managed to get binned against Ireland.
21. B. Youngs -- Half-back rotation.
22. Farrell/Burns -- Former if anywhere near fitness. Burns will get his chance on the Argentina tour, I imagine.
23. Twelvetrees -- Half an hour inside Tuilagi; see if the wingers actually get some ball when both are together.

Obviously I'd prefer a set of young wingers in there, and maybe Burns, but I think that's probably the selection we will see. Half backs given a chance, and Billy gets a go to try and re-balance the back row. Earlier subs to try and give impact players some experience prior to Cardiff. The spine of the team (Cole, Parling, Wood, Robshaw, and Barritt) is intact enough to ensure the experiment shouldn't be too risky.

Last edited:
Burns to start if Farrell don't make it.

I'm all up for experimenting but we shouldn't lose sight of the job in hand. Beat Italy by as much as we can. Secure the championship then focus on the slam.

Well Farrell is rated 50-50, so I wouldn't risk it. I'd probably go Flood with 36 as cover on the bench (Barritt starting at 12). Morgan apparently isn't back either, so I'd like to see Billy V start and get a run-out. Far better than Waldrom at 8, and I'd like to see Wood revert back to 6 where I think he's more effectively and has a chance of nailing down a long-term spot in the side, with Haskell on the bench.

As mentioned, Mako V to start too, I'd get Tom Youngs back in and give him a chance to sort out his lineout throws, might have just had an offday, it happens. Otherwise his work at the breakdown and in the loose is I agree (as others have mentioned) far superior to Hartley's. His lineout throwing should be easier to fix than Hartley's contributions in open-play, and it's not like Hartley is a standout in that area by comparison either or in the scrum.

Tempted to give Twelvetrees a start, but Barritt is playing so well and should be rewarded, and this still isn't a game we should take lightly. Manu gives us enough of an attacking impact in the midfield alone. I'd start Ashton, but keep an eye on his performance and expect him to sniff out some try scoring opportunities, contribute elsewhere and defend well.

Foden on the bench to possibly replace him, or come on for Goode late and get an opportunity to impress and win back the 15 shirt. Save Wade/May and other experiments like Burns/Ford, Tomkins etc to the summer.

1 Mako Vunipola
2 Tom Youngs
3 Dan Cole

4 Joe Launchbury (Courtney Lawes to get some gametime at the end to impress)
5 Geoff Parling

6 Tom Wood
8 Billy Vunipola (Wood can cover & Haskell on the bench to go to 6 if Billy V doesn't work out)
7 Chris Robshaw

9 Danny Care
10 Toby Flood (36 as cover)

12 Brad Barritt (36 to get 20-30 minutes to impress at the end)
13 Manu Tuilagi

11 Mike Brown (try and get him more involved in this game and to make more of an impact)
15 Alex Goode (would like to see him get involved running from deep more)
14 Chris Ashton

16 Joe Marler
17 Dylan Hartley
18 Courtney Lawes
19 James Haskell
20 Ben Youngs
21 Billy Twelvetrees
22 Ben Foden

Last edited:
Personally, I think may change the starting line-up but keep the same 22 and rest or bench his major frontline players for Cardiff, he will not want any injuries. As I think he will be looking to keep up the intensity and put the points on Italy; therefore completely putting the championship out of Wales' or Scotlands' reach. In a kind of strange illogical theoreticalisation, England should put 60 points at least on Italy.

Latest posts