working on your speed as a wing

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi,

I'm still not sure on which position I will end up so I worked on my speed, doing some spurts getting up as fast as possible and running as hard as I can.

Somewhere on the board there is a topic about the fastest guy on the rugby field. People juggling with numbers like running 100m in 10.50 sec etc...

what's an ideal time to run the 100 m? As fast as possible but what's a decent time for somebody who just want to play for fun?

Best way of improving speed. Nick a pint of milk from a shop and leg it, if you have outpaced the security then you definatley have the speed to play wing.

100 metres? i have hit 11.7 or that its 2 seconds slower than real runners...might not seem like much but its actually around 15 metres or that ...your a big guy arent you so aim to hit about 12 and you will be running right over people :)

Try running up and down the stairs, as it does the same as doing sprint drills but also strengthens leg muscles more due to adding jumping into the equation.

Though running really fast in a straight line isn't always the best thing to be good at. Stepping without slowing down too much (Shane Williams style) would be more important than sprinting really fast, if you ask me. You shouldn't be a back if you're not a certain pace, so being an fraction of a second slower than your opposite number isn't the most important thing in the world.

Ah ok, thanks guys.
Luckily I'm doing lots of stairs every day :)

Stairs are a great way to boost speed and strength. What you're talking about in sport, especially rugby is sprinting speed as opposed to long distance running speed. Set up cones somewhere, or if you have a track you can train on that would be better, and literally do sprints. start with 20 metre, 40 metre, 60 metre and then 100. The real way to improve your speed is to work on it by repetition. Speed/Sprint Training is actually more like weight training than endurance/cardio. Most people don't realize this as you are running in both. Look at someone like Usain Bolt versus any long distance runner and you can see the physical difference. You'll see me post this throughout the Universitas Rugbeia section time and time again, but Fartlek (Sweedis for "Speed Play") is one of the best routines you can add to your trainning as a rugger.

Repetition is the best way to learn something. luckily i have tons of nice stuff to put on the Ipod :)
Thanks.

Latest posts