• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup 2010

M

Mr. Laxative

Still with another 4 years to go there is speculation that SA will not be completely ready for the FIFA World Cup 2010. This has opened up the possibility that Australia and/or New Zealand will host at least some of the pool matches, and possibly some finals.

This morning I heard reports of this nature on Today, Sunrise and Ten Early News. I haven't seen or heard anything else.

What is your opinion?

World Cup 2010 could head Down Under
31 August 2006
By MICHAEL COCKERILL
Sydney Morning Herald

Australia and New Zealand may take over the hosting duties for the world's biggest sporting event, football's World Cup, with speculation persisting that South Africa's preparations for the 2010 tournament are hopelessly behind schedule.

Rumours surfaced during the World Cup in Germany that Australia was an option for 2010 should South Africa fail to meet its construction deadlines.

New Zealand could possibly help Australia in hosting the event, by having a pool based in either Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch or Dunedin.

At the same time, Australia's state premiers have formally committed to a World Cup bid, with 2018 the most likely option. Football Federation Australia is expected to make its own announcement shortly.

Under the loose rotation policy used by international football's world governing body, FIFA, the next three World Cups are due to be hosted by Africa, South America and Asia/Oceania.

But Brazil, which is planning for 2014, does not have enough stadiums to meet a 2010 deadline, leaving Asia-Oceania in pole position should South Africa be stripped of hosting rights.

A joint Australia-New Zealand bid could thus become viable, with Sydney the likely frontrunner to host the final.

South Africa is desperately trying to make up time. Its government has set aside $US750 million ($NZ1.2 billion) to build three stadiums and renovate seven, and 8.7 billion rand ($NZ1.8 billion) to upgrade airports, roads and railways.

Early this month the South African Government approved a special measures bill to meet the legal requirements for hosting the tournament.

During the debate in Parliament, the Minister of Sport, Makhenkesi Stofile, was eager to dismiss criticism that construction was behind schedule and that the country's transport network wouldn't cope with the expected 350,000 visitors.

"The World Cup offers us an opportunity to present ourselves to the world for what we really can be," Mr Stofile said. "We believe that hosting the World Cup offers us the biggest opportunity to banish Afro-pessimism. We do not intend to replicate this year's World Cup or compete with the Germans. But we believe the same spirit of national pride as we saw among the Germans can be achieved among South Africans."

Despite the optimism a senior international football source has told the Herald that doubts persist. Just recently, the source said, a group of British firms pulled out of tendering for World Cup construction work because of impossible deadlines.

A FIFA spokesman described the speculation as ridiculous last night. "We were asked the same thing in July, and the president made it clear we were not looking at alternatives," he said.

However the FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, who has staked much personal prestige on Africa hosting a World Cup, could change his tune if re-elected, as expected, next June. "He can't make any hard decisions now, but if things haven't improved after his election, he might be ready to make a call," a source said.

Australia already has five stadiums [two in Melbourne and Sydney and one in Brisbane] that would meet World Cup standards. A new 60,000-seat stadium is planned for Perth.

The other three stadiums required to host a World Cup would be in New Zealand, which is in the process of upgrading grounds in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin for the 2011 rugby World Cup.
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3782317a1823,00.html

just to back you up jacko, just in case people thought you were smoking something ;)

Also, I would be surprised (if this came to fruition) if Canberra didn't get any games involving some lowly nations.

Really? What if it were say: Saudi Arabia v Cote D'Ivoire?

Plus by this stage it is quite likely ACT will have an A-League team so there would be no problem in filling the stadium. I'd just be concerned if a game between two minnows was played at Telstra Stadium... what are the chances of that being sold out??

honestly, i know nothing about australian soccer.

actually i dont know anything about soccer.

i would imagine that would have set pools for each place. maybe 2 pools in sydney, one in brisbane and one in melbourne. one in new zealand (if that go that far they can travel the whole country as we would have our stadiums build for the 2011 would cup, aparently) wait how many is that? itsl ike 5. how many pools to they have...

i have no right to be in this part of the forum, i am so out of my depth :)

I think that Makhenkesi Stofile, the South African Minister of Sport, has gotten it spot on when he talks about banishing "Afro-pessimism". This is just a rumour probably started by old rich white men in Europe who don't think that "dirty black Africans" can organise an event like the world cup. They forget that over ten years ago these Africans organised what a lot of people still regard as the best rugby world cup tournament.

It is incredibly unlikely that Australia, and especially New Zealand, will host games during the 2010 World Cup. I laughed out loud when I heard New Zealand being associated with the world cup. I mean can you imagine how bad the New Zealand football association would screw that up?

South Africa will host the cup and that is the end of story regardless of any mutterings from Europe or inside of the South African parliament.

Australia have a shot of hosting the world cup in 2018 but only if Europe host in 2014. If it goes to Brazil, or another South American country, in 2014 than an European country will get in 2018 regardless of how good Australia's bid is.

Hold the press.

New Zealand has a Football Association... why wasn't I informed?

"...Hold the press.

New Zealand has a Football Association... why wasn't I informed..?"
Ripper.

That I am sure is also another nasty rumour spread by evil-minded individuals.

Big Ten, I saw somewhere that in 2018 the cup will definately be held in Asia/Oceania. Apparently there is some rotation policy...

2002 - Asia/Oceania
2006 - Europe
2010 - Africa
2014 - The Americas
2018 - Asia/Oceania
2022 - Europe

etc, etc...

Don't know whether it's true, but seems to be from a reliable source.

Football World Cup talk 'ridiculous'
01 September 2006
By TONY SMITH

New Zealand Soccer chiefs have poured cold water on a report that the 2010 World Cup could be awarded to Australia and New Zealand if South Africa is stripped of its hosting rights.

Australia's state premiers are committed to launching a bid for the 2018 finals, but a Sydney Morning Herald report yesterday said South Africa's preparations were "hopelessly" behind schedule and that New Zealand and Australia could be asked to come to Fifa's rescue.

The article said Australia already had five World Cup-standard stadiums (two in Melbourne and Sydney and one in Brisbane) and a 60,000-seat venue is planned for Perth.

"The other three stadiums required to host a World Cup would be in New Zealand, which is in the process of upgrading grounds in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin for the 2011 rugby World Cup," the newspaper said.

However, Fifa has dismissed the report as ridiculous.

"We were asked the same thing (at the 2006 World Cup) in July, and the president made it clear we were not looking at alternatives," a Fifa spokesman said.

New Zealand Soccer chief executive Graham Seatter was also sceptical yesterday. "If the World Cup did come down to Australasia we'd be delighted and we'd do whatever we could to make it successful," Seatter said.

He admitted he could not see Fifa moving the showpiece tournament away from South Africa.

"Fifa are really committed to South Africa and that's unlikely to change. They're committed to making it a success in South Africa."

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3782822a1823,00.html

they keep saying new zealand soccer, but it was changed to new zealand football before we went over to south america, damn no1 never listens to them do they :)

Originally posted by jacko
Also, I would be surprised (if this came to fruition) if Canberra didn't get any games involving some lowly nations.

Well you had over 60000 at the match between Tunisia and Saudi Arabia, that's how big the world cup is, plus FIFA only allow stadia with a capacity of 40000 to be used for world cup matches so that would rule Canberra out.

Big Ten, I saw somewhere that in 2018 the cup will definately be held in Asia/Oceania. Apparently there is some rotation policy...

2002 - Asia/Oceania
2006 - Europe
2010 - Africa
2014 - The Americas
2018 - Asia/Oceania
2022 - Europe

etc, etc...

Don't know whether it's true, but seems to be from a reliable source.
[/b]

Yeah I remember seeing that as well - I just don't believe it for a second. Europe is by far the biggest, most powerful and influential of all of the football confederations and they will not allow a 16 year gap between world cups.

They will find an excuse to host the world cup in 2014. No question.

The world cup is definitely going to be in South America in 2014 no 2 ways about it.

and its almost a cert for england to get it in 2018, best aus can hope for is 2022 but you need more than 5 or 6 grounds and also please no cricket grounds!

China will bid for 2022 and probably get it in my opinion. Most think England will get it in 2018 for a number of reasons a- It wont have been held at the home of football for 52 years by then. b- it wont have been in Europe for 12 years (Europe has the largest audiences, sponsorship etc which fifa love) c- Bar a couple of redevelopments England already has the majority of stadia in place to hold the tournament now, so there wont be any worry about not being ready on time (yes wembley will be ready by then!)

Well we'll have to wait and see with Wembley :p but you should still have enough stadia to get by. If it does go to Europe in 2018 then that'll show how serious FIFA are about their rotation policy.

Latest posts