World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Mr. Laxative, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

Still with another 4 years to go there is speculation that SA will not be completely ready for the FIFA World Cup 2010. This has opened up the possibility that Australia and/or New Zealand will host at least some of the pool matches, and possibly some finals.

This morning I heard reports of this nature on Today, Sunrise and Ten Early News. I haven't seen or heard anything else.

What is your opinion?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3782317a1823,00.html

just to back you up jacko, just in case people thought you were smoking something ;)

4. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

Also, I would be surprised (if this came to fruition) if Canberra didn't get any games involving some lowly nations.

5. woosaah

woosaah Guest

i would be surprised if they got some

6. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

Really? What if it were say: Saudi Arabia v Cote D'Ivoire?

Plus by this stage it is quite likely ACT will have an A-League team so there would be no problem in filling the stadium. I'd just be concerned if a game between two minnows was played at Telstra Stadium... what are the chances of that being sold out??

7. woosaah

woosaah Guest

honestly, i know nothing about australian soccer.

actually i dont know anything about soccer.

i would imagine that would have set pools for each place. maybe 2 pools in sydney, one in brisbane and one in melbourne. one in new zealand (if that go that far they can travel the whole country as we would have our stadiums build for the 2011 would cup, aparently) wait how many is that? itsl ike 5. how many pools to they have...

i have no right to be in this part of the forum, i am so out of my depth :)

8. BigTen

BigTen Guest

I think that Makhenkesi Stofile, the South African Minister of Sport, has gotten it spot on when he talks about banishing "Afro-pessimism". This is just a rumour probably started by old rich white men in Europe who don't think that "dirty black Africans" can organise an event like the world cup. They forget that over ten years ago these Africans organised what a lot of people still regard as the best rugby world cup tournament.

It is incredibly unlikely that Australia, and especially New Zealand, will host games during the 2010 World Cup. I laughed out loud when I heard New Zealand being associated with the world cup. I mean can you imagine how bad the New Zealand football association would screw that up?

South Africa will host the cup and that is the end of story regardless of any mutterings from Europe or inside of the South African parliament.

Australia have a shot of hosting the world cup in 2018 but only if Europe host in 2014. If it goes to Brazil, or another South American country, in 2014 than an European country will get in 2018 regardless of how good Australia's bid is.

9. Bull

Bull Guest

It's gonna be a f***-up! A huge one.

10. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Hold the press.

New Zealand has a Football Association... why wasn't I informed?

11. BigTen

BigTen Guest

"...Hold the press.

New Zealand has a Football Association... why wasn't I informed..?"
    Ripper.

That I am sure is also another nasty rumour spread by evil-minded individuals.

12. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

Big Ten, I saw somewhere that in 2018 the cup will definately be held in Asia/Oceania. Apparently there is some rotation policy...

2002 - Asia/Oceania
    2006 - Europe
    2010 - Africa
    2014 - The Americas
    2018 - Asia/Oceania
    2022 - Europe

etc, etc...

Don't know whether it's true, but seems to be from a reliable source.

13. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3782822a1823,00.html

they keep saying new zealand soccer, but it was changed to new zealand football before we went over to south america, damn no1 never listens to them do they :)

14. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Well you had over 60000 at the match between Tunisia and Saudi Arabia, that's how big the world cup is, plus FIFA only allow stadia with a capacity of 40000 to be used for world cup matches so that would rule Canberra out.

15. Mr. Laxative

Mr. Laxative Guest

I'm sure we could squeeze another 10, 000 in there somewhere....

16. BigTen

BigTen Guest

Yeah I remember seeing that as well - I just don't believe it for a second. Europe is by far the biggest, most powerful and influential of all of the football confederations and they will not allow a 16 year gap between world cups.

They will find an excuse to host the world cup in 2014. No question.

17. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

The world cup is definitely going to be in South America in 2014 no 2 ways about it.

18. BronskiBeat

BronskiBeat Guest

and its almost a cert for england to get it in 2018, best aus can hope for is 2022 but you need more than 5 or 6 grounds and also please no cricket grounds!

19. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

I wouldn't be so sure on that, especially if China make a bid

20. BronskiBeat

BronskiBeat Guest

China will bid for 2022 and probably get it in my opinion. Most think England will get it in 2018 for a number of reasons a- It wont have been held at the home of football for 52 years by then. b- it wont have been in Europe for 12 years (Europe has the largest audiences, sponsorship etc which fifa love) c- Bar a couple of redevelopments England already has the majority of stadia in place to hold the tournament now, so there wont be any worry about not being ready on time (yes wembley will be ready by then!)

21. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Well we'll have to wait and see with Wembley :p but you should still have enough stadia to get by. If it does go to Europe in 2018 then that'll show how serious FIFA are about their rotation policy.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!