• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Point 2: Ireland won something (I know, 2 wins in the space of a decade in a sport they didn't invent. 50 years until that happens again) and suddenly the whole of America embraces cricket as their new national sport.

We only probably play once or twice a decade Bullitt :D

I'd say it best if we were knocked out early as half lads probably just got the 2 weeks off work ha ha. I feel like we the jamacian team in cool runnings.
Feel the rythym. Feel the might. C'mon Ireland. It's cricket time - cool runnings ha.

Interesting thing in paper too in which an English commentator called Ireland a pack of fake Irishmen yet he forgot to check stats as all but 2 players were born and rared in Ireland and the 2 that are imports have been here over 8 years. Yet England have 4 South Africans alone like if a guy is going to make stupid comment at least research it. :p

Also should come to no surprise that Ireland beat England. Considering most of the Irish team bar Johnson, Cusack, Mooney are all county cricketers and play in the same league as most of the English players do. Ireland seem to create upsets at ICC events. Kenya did it a few years ago and manage to get to the QF if I remember correctly.

I expect Ireland will start poaching some if the better English (or should I say South African) talent now going forward.

There is a lot of dross there but we may find one or two little gems.

Canada actually gave Pakistan a scare today, after a brutal first two games a competitive performance was definately needed. Unfortunately the bats went silent in the Canadian order and Davison has been a total non factor, while Cheema who had been a small bright spot only had 4-5 runs. I think Canada will beat Kenya on the weekend but lose their other two games.

Hopefully these better performances by Ireland, the Netherlands and Canada(today) wil convince the ICC that their desicion to totally get rid of the associates is a poor one, perhaps at least a compromise to keep the World Cup at 12 teams would allow two associates in and a qualifying event could still be held while removing a team as bad as Kenya from qualifying. Going down to ten teams by invitation is something out of the 70's, I think the first RWC in 1987 was by invite only and the exclusion of Samoa is still controversial.

Canada actually gave Pakistan a scare today, after a brutal first two games a competitive performance was definately needed. Unfortunately the bats went silent in the Canadian order and Davison has been a total non factor, while Cheema who had been a small bright spot only had 4-5 runs. I think Canada will beat Kenya on the weekend but lose their other two games.

Hopefully these better performances by Ireland, the Netherlands and Canada(today) wil convince the ICC that their desicion to totally get rid of the associates is a poor one, perhaps at least a compromise to keep the World Cup at 12 teams would allow two associates in and a qualifying event could still be held while removing a team as bad as Kenya from qualifying. Going down to ten teams by invitation is something out of the 70's, I think the first RWC in 1987 was by invite only and the exclusion of Samoa is still controversial.

In previous World Cups Kenya have been the best Associated Nation. 2003 World Cup Semi-Finalists. Kenya in the past have had some quality players Hitesh Modi, Maurice Odumbe, Kennedy Otieno, Peter Ongondo and Martin Suji.

Lot of the Associate Nations rely on one man, Canada John Davison and Holland Ryan ten Doeschate otherwise they don't really perform. Its tough, but I think without them you will never see the upsets. Cricket is one of those games were you are likely to see upsets appearing because of the nature of the game.

Last edited:
Agree with Little Guy, maybe 14 teams is a bit much, 12 is a nice number because then they can go back to 4 or 3 groups, instead of 2 oversized ones

Ten teams with one round robin is the right answer. However, only the hosts should be able to qualify automatically. This would mean that the associates still get to play the top nations but just not at the world cup (unless they qualify, of course.) I think cricket, rugby and rugby league makes the mistake in their world cups by letting too many teams qualify. World Cup qualification is one of the best parts of the Football World Cup.

Epic lol, England beat SA after posting a pretty dire total

:D

Guess this means that Ireland are better than SA :O

Epic lol, England beat SA after posting a pretty dire total

:D

Guess this means that Ireland are better than SA :O

Ten teams with one round robin is the right answer. However, only the hosts should be able to qualify automatically. This would mean that the associates still get to play the top nations but just not at the world cup (unless they qualify, of course.) I think cricket, rugby and rugby league makes the mistake in their world cups by letting too many teams qualify. World Cup qualification is one of the best parts of the Football World Cup.

Disagree about qualifiers, no need for them, they work in football because of the sheer numbers of teams. Rather see 3 groups of 4 teams to be honest.

There are qualifiers for the Cricket World Cup for the associates, I'd like to see the World Cup stay at 14 teams but I think 12 as I and others have suggested as a compromise btween the associates and the ICC would be a lot better than 10 by invitation. It seems like the twenty over game is being heavily promoted these days though and maybe this is the direction that the ICC wants especially in the non traditional nations.

I agree that the Rugby League World Cup has too many teams but I think that the Rugby Union World cup is ok at 20, if it got taken down to 18 the pools would be awkward and at 16 the some of the better tier two countries like USA, Romania, Tonga, Japan and Canada might miss out if they had a poor qualifcation season. The football one has I think somewhere in the vicinity of 200 members trying to qualify and the number of nations that can field a competitive team is much higher than in any other sport.

There are qualifiers for the Cricket World Cup for the associates, I'd like to see the World Cup stay at 14 teams but I think 12 as I and others have suggested as a compromise btween the associates and the ICC would be a lot better than 10 by invitation. It seems like the twenty over game is being heavily promoted these days though and maybe this is the direction that the ICC wants especially in the non traditional nations.

I agree that the Rugby League World Cup has too many teams but I think that the Rugby Union World cup is ok at 20, if it got taken down to 18 the pools would be awkward and at 16 the some of the better tier two countries like USA, Romania, Tonga, Japan and Canada might miss out if they had a poor qualifcation season. The football one has I think somewhere in the vicinity of 200 members trying to qualify and the number of nations that can field a competitive team is much higher than in any other sport.

Sorry what I meant was having too many teams qualify automatically. The RLWC has 12 out of 14 and the RUWC, I think, would be far better served only having eight automatic qualifiers.

I saw yesterday's match India V/s Ireland which was played at Chinnaswamy Stadium Banglore. It was the great match. India won the match by 5 wickets and Indian bag 5 points by winning this match. I have cricket fever and never miss any match.

Watch Battle Los Angeles online free

No way Snoop we are staying on it like ref screwed us against India :D

Anyone who knows about Cricket tell me will we qualify and when will we know

No way Snoop we are staying on it like ref screwed us against India :D

Anyone who knows about Cricket tell me will we qualify and when will we know​

<TABLE class=fixturestable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>Pos</TD><TD class=tableHeader>Team</TD><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>P</TD><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>W</TD><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>L</TD><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>NRR</TD><TD class=tableHeader width="10%" align=middle>Pts</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst>India</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>0</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>0.768</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst>England</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>4</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>0.054</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>5</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst>West Indies</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2.667</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>4</TD><TD class=cellfirst>South Africa</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1.754</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>5</TD><TD class=cellfirst>Ireland</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>-0.296</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>6</TD><TD class=cellfirst>Bangladesh</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>1</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>-1.764</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>2</TD></TR><TR><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>7</TD><TD class=cellfirst>Netherlands</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>0</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>3</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>-3.058</TD><TD class=cellfirst align=middle>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Best way is to win the rest of your 3 fixtures against South Africa, Netherlands and West Indies.

Disagree about qualifiers, no need for them, they work in football because of the sheer numbers of teams. Rather see 3 groups of 4 teams to be honest.

Yep, I agree. 3 groups of groups of 4, then group winners + best runner up to semi finals, or top two each group + two best 3rd placers to quarter finals

Another alternative could be 4 groups of 3 each team plays two matches v each other team , the top team in each group to semi finals

Latest posts