• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

I thought the Proteas had it so I went to sleep, I woke up and checked it out on the net and the Black Caps won.

You're not the only one... I was up until around 2am watching the All Whites so I should have just stayed up, but SA were 60-1 at that stage so I thought we were stuffed. Ah well, I'll get up at 4am on Monday to watch the Crusaders spank the Sharks to make up for it :).

Also agreed on that commentator. He was either stating the obvious or repeatedly making the point that we don't take singles and that he thought Ryder was a bad runner between the wickets.

Well done to the Black Caps, I knew if I talked down their chances enough they'd come through :D. Oram and N McCullum were both excellent, as were Ryder and Taylor (although Taylor had a brain fart and got out earlier than he should have). I also thought Williamson played pretty well near the end. I feel for SA who have had a terrible WC run... Bring on England/Sri Lanka!

Will be a hard nut to crack against Sri Lanka but if I remember correct they did beat Sri Lanka in the T20 tournament last year.
Go Black Caps.

CHOKERS!!!

Blah, blah, blah

Average Protea/Springbok fan (1): Smit, no... um, erm no wait, SmItH IZ KnOT FIt 2 BEe KAPtaiN... SACk Piedur da VilLIEArs!!! CHOKERS!!!

Average Protea/Springbok fan (2): BUt wAtt ABoUT SmIT!!! PetE SNor iSiNt tHE Krikett COach, It is THaT atHIr BEE aPPointmENt!!! CHOKERS!!!

Fan (1): THAY must bE saCKEd, bofh ov 'hem!!! CHOKERS!!!

Fan (2): (Undistinguishable gibberish, with what sounds like plenty of swearing and incorrect pronounciation of players names involved, however the word 'chokers' appears many times.)

For the English equivalent, swap the rugby bits for football ones and BEE for tory/labour c*unt

Last edited:
Seems to be quite a bit of talk on NZ Radio Sport regarding the decision by Sri Lanka to play the semi-final against New Zealand on the same pitch that they played the quarter final against England on ... while I know that it's the norm for the home team to prepare pitches that best suit their team, I have to agree with Radio new Zealand's Cricket commentator, Bryan Waddle, that playing on a used pitch that the home side has had the benefit of batting and bowling on for 50 overs, just two days before, is probably not within the spirit of the game.

... I have gone from a person who is ok with the black Caps performance so far, and has no expectation that they will progress any further, to one who really hopes the Black caps can put Sri Lanka out of the tournament for this poor decision

Well then, NZ's run came to an end last night with a loss against SL. Personally I think we did pretty well overall considering the low expectations everyone had, certainly better than our low ranking would suggest.

As for the game itself, we were at least 20-30 runs short for sure. It may seem a little unfair, but I think part of the blame has to fall on Ross Taylor in this one. He was moving along nicely until he got out and had he been around for the powerplay our score could have been much higher. Even though it was a bad ball he tried to slog there was no need to take that risk on a slow pitch, it's very frustrating how he gets out like that so often. I do think he's improving though and perhaps being the captain will lead to at least slightly more responsible batting.

I think there's a lot of positives to take from our performances in this tournament though. I suppose we'll need to focus on keeping our standards up in ODI's and climbing back up to a respectable ranking position in the next few years.

Also... GO INDIA!!! This is the perfect time to get your 100th century Sachin! :D

Brendon McCullum has struggled this World Cup which has been a shame. NZ can leave with their heads held high.

Brendon McCullum has struggled this World Cup which has been a shame. NZ can leave with their heads held high.

Sri Lanka seemed to be doing it easy, but to the Black Caps credit, they fought well ... I don't think any New Zealanders expected them to do as well as they did, given how poorly they've performed over the last 12 months

... I like that they went down fighting instead of capitulating like have done some times in the past

It was a good close game yesterday. The best team deserved to win and Sri Lanka deserve to win the WC.

Very slow start by Sri Lanka. India bowling well. Going to be an interesting final.

If India can get another early Wicket, i believe they can take this game into there hands but can't allow any cheap runs.

Ye agree, partnership between Sangakkara and Jayawardene is now crucial. If it breaks early then there's little batting left.

Very good win for India and to do it at home must feel special.

Big win for India. I was having a cricket game myself yesterday and and the score was 190 ( or something) after 40 overs. Sri Lanka played an awesome last 10 overs.
But India really pushed things to the limited. Heroic from Dhoni to score the winning shot himself.

Pit Sri Lanka didn't win as they did beat the Black Caps in the Semis.

Latest posts