• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Qualifiers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Sep 11 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are better footballers in my dustbin than that Cattermole.[/b]

He is a good, hard midfielder who can play a bit too, and is still pretty young. Would walk in to the Ireland team.

I think Brasil has the great squad this World Champ tour

so chances of taking WC home is great for them

Is anybody here following Argentina's situation regarding the WC? We're on the verge of not qualifying, which would mean a national disaster. Maradona (yes, the best footballer on earth, capable of <strike>cheating</strike> scoring unconventional goals, as well as some spectacular ones) is totally clueless as to what's wrong with the team, and all the critics and suggestions that have been targeted at him will fall in deaf ears. As a result, we have the best players on the planet -- but we struggle, and quite often, more so than not we find ourselves outclassed by teams with less skilled players, but that actually PLAY football, and care about the nation they're representing.

Right now we're 5th in the standings, and are obliged to win all of our next matches to qualify. We have some really good players that rock in their respective leagues, but tend to underperform whenever they get to wear the sky blue and white jersey. Messi, Agüero, Heinze, Gago, Mascherano, Tevez, Zanetti, Milito...

Personally, I can't stand Maradona and the people surrounding him. And if failing to qualify to the WC in South Africa is what it takes for our society to come to see the kind of retard he is, I'm okay with it.

Rumor has it that "Pep" Guardiola could be tempted to coach our national team were Maradona to screw us in this one. :eek:

Then again, what could we possibly have expected from a coach, who, instead of following the lines, inhales them? ;)

<div align='center'>
diego_maradona.jpg
</div>

So is this Peru match make and break or is there still a chance of a playoff match if you don't get the result?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 7 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So is this Peru match make and break or is there still a chance of a playoff match if you don't get the result?[/b]

Well, we can afford to lose the game against Peru, but we'd be obliged to get a win in Uruguay, who are also in the run to qualify. The Uruguayans are famous for their passion, pride and their physicality in the game -- and they will kill to win in front of their crowd.

If we end up fifth in the general standings, we'll have to play a home and away leg against either Costa Rica or México.

Perú, on the other hand, has got no chances to qualify whatsoever, which prompts for debate: Will Perú try to outplay us? Or do they not care about this match? Logic says they will try to upset us. In fact, the newspapers are stating Colombia and Uruguay might fork up a 200.000 USD dough as an incentive for their players to defeat us next Saturday.

On a personal level though, I think we must win both games. There is no room for speculation for a football powerhouse like Argentina. With such a glorious past we cannot, and moreover, should not think that way.

We played against Ghana last week, and won 2-0. Our team comprised of players based in Argentina, and bolstered a good performance by Martín Palermo (Boca Juniors' historic striker), who scored both goals. If I were the coach, I'd leave all the "European Superstars" out of the team and field in the very same guys that played the aforementioned match. But then again, I'm a logical thinking person; Maradona's not. He's already threatened to <strike>please us and get the heck out of here</strike> quit if Argentina fails to qualify, and / or if Julio Grondona (<strike>Mafia Capo</strike> AFA chairman) does not bestow him with full control over his coaching staff.

Perú is a VERY limited team, but so were Bolivia and Ecuador. This will be an off game. I'm going to go to the stadium myself to attest whether Maradona is stubborn enough not to hear the million suggestions and critics that have been dished out by the Argentine people.

One thing is clear though. Regardless of whichever outcome we are headed for, Diego is no longer the living god it used to be for his followers. He single handedly won the WC for us in 1986, and that's fine. But he screwed us in 1994 when his drug addiction kicked off. And I assure you nobody - NOBODY here will like to see him leaving us without a WC again.

Germany currently 1-0 up in Moscow but down to 10 men for the last bit of the match, wonder will we see a reversal from FIFA on their decision to seed the playoff draw if the Germans do top their group, should they hold on.

Yeah...

Right now I'm all geared up to go to the stadium to watch Argentina taking on Perú. Maradona resorted to change the team that picked that win over Ghana a couple of weeks ago; although in a relatively smart manner -- he sent his son-in-law back where he should be, and put Higuaín (Real Madrid striker) as #9, with Palermo on the bench. However, he persists in picking Heinze... who is LONG past his prime.

Formations

Argentina: Sergio Romero; Jonás Gutiérrez, Rolando Schiavi, Gabriel Heinze, Emiliano Insúa; Enzo Pérez, Javier Mascherano, Ãngel Di María, Pablo Aimar; Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuaín. Coach: Diego Maradona.

Perú: Leao Butrón; Amilton Prado, Carlos Zambrano, Alberto Rodríguez, Walter Vilchez; Nolberto Solano, Rainer Torres, Josemir Ballón, Juan Vargas, Roberto Palacios or Luis Ramírez; Johan Fano. Coach: José Del Solar.

Prediction? Hard to make one. Logic says we should win 2-0, or 3-0. But logic seems long gone in this case.

Bulgaria 2-1 down in Nicosea at half time, should it stay that way we'll be guaranteed a playoff before we even kick off at Croker.

On that note, England is 0-1 against Ukraine with 4 minutes to go.

This is what happens when a team kicks the ball too much. The overuse of kicking in football is for minnows.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 10 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales lost to Finland.

Lucky we play rugby eh[/b]

Hah! A shame though, Wales used to play quality football.

More results and future fixtures:

Armenia 1:2 (0:1) Spain
Ukraine 1:0 (1:0) England
Russia 0:1 (0:1) Germany
Estonia 0:2 (0:1) Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bahrain 0:0 New Zealand
Belarus 4:0 (1:0) Kazakhstan
Luxembourg 0:3 (0:3) Switzerland
Finland 2:1 (1:1) Wales
Cameroon 3:0 (1:0) Togo
Gabon 3:1 (1:0) Morocco
Malawi 1:1 (0:0) Côte d'Ivoire
Zambia 0:1 (0:0) Egypt
Saudi Arabia 2:2 (1:1) Bahrain

To be played:

17:00 Colombia v Chile
17:00 Ecuador v Uruguay
17:00 Mexico v El Salvador
17:30 Venezuela v Paraguay
19:00 Argentina v Peru
20:00 Republic of Ireland v Italy
20:30 Czech Republic v Poland
20:30 Slovakia v Slovenia
20:30 Serbia v Romania
20:30 Austria v Lithuania
20:45 Portugal v Hungary
20:45 Belgium v Turkey
21:00 Israel v Moldova
21:00 France v Faroe Islands
21:30 Greece v Latvia

that's Bosnia guaranteed a playoff as well and should the French complete a routine win over the Faroes then they'll have guaranteed one as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 10 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 10 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wales lost to Finland.

Lucky we play rugby eh[/b]

Hah! A shame though, Wales used to play quality football.

More results and future fixtures:

Armenia 1:2 (0:1) Spain
Ukraine 1:0 (1:0) England
Russia 0:1 (0:1) Germany
Estonia 0:2 (0:1) Bosnia-Herzegovina
Bahrain 0:0 New Zealand
Belarus 4:0 (1:0) Kazakhstan
Luxembourg 0:3 (0:3) Switzerland
Finland 2:1 (1:1) Wales
Cameroon 3:0 (1:0) Togo
Gabon 3:1 (1:0) Morocco
Malawi 1:1 (0:0) Côte d'Ivoire
Zambia 0:1 (0:0) Egypt
Saudi Arabia 2:2 (1:1) Bahrain

To be played:

17:00 Colombia v Chile
17:00 Ecuador v Uruguay
17:00 Mexico v El Salvador
17:30 Venezuela v Paraguay
19:00 Argentina v Peru
20:00 Republic of Ireland v Italy
20:30 Czech Republic v Poland
20:30 Slovakia v Slovenia
20:30 Serbia v Romania
20:30 Austria v Lithuania
20:45 Portugal v Hungary
20:45 Belgium v Turkey
21:00 Israel v Moldova
21:00 France v Faroe Islands
21:30 Greece v Latvia
[/b][/quote]

Arent Costa Rica supposed to be playing, I wanted to see how Bristol City's very own Alvaro Saborio got on.

Don't know, but I'd like to see Savorio playing as well -- he's given Costa Rica a huge boost in many matches. Darn, I'm starting to feel nervous. I can already hear people crying while they're heading for "El Monumental" Stadium. Perú has never won in Argentina.

What a goal by Whelan! Absolutely enjoying this. That set play was flawless.

GO IRELAND!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 10 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What a goal by Whelan! Absolutely enjoying this. That set play was flawless.

GO IRELAND![/b]

was hoping they'd do something creative like that, cause our normal delivery from set pieces is woeful.

Bahrain 0 - 0 New Zealand

Bahrain dominted the second spell as the kiwis melted in the heat and went close a few times, hitting thr cross bar while the keeper was having a cup of tea being the best. New Zealand did actually get the ball in the back of the net but called off side. Apparently that's a good result for New Zealand. Game on in Wellington then.

I am really liking the way Ireland is playing right now. They're exerting pressure in the Italian midfield, and passing the ball a lot. Let's see if they can cope up with the bruising Italians.

Oh and Croke Park is such a wonderful stadium. The grass is perfect. I can barely distinguish the Irish players. :p

Jethro: Argentina was supposed to play the All Whites (!) months ago. Over here we were told Frank van Hattum didn't want to play an away game in Argentina -- which I believe is an utter fallacy. Do you know what really happened?

Latest posts