• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Qualifiers

I got up at 4:00am, to watch football. I'm not that keen on Football...But a 0-0 draw with a country that has the population of Christchurch, makes me regret I got up in the first place.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 10 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got up at 4:00am, to watch football. I'm not that keen on Football...But a 0-0 draw with a country that has the population of Christchurch, makes me regret I got up in the first place.[/b]

in fairness it's not the worst result considering how far ahead in the rankings they are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 11 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 10 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got up at 4:00am, to watch football. I'm not that keen on Football...But a 0-0 draw with a country that has the population of Christchurch, makes me regret I got up in the first place.[/b]

in fairness it's not the worst result considering how far ahead in the rankings they are.
[/b][/quote]
Sure, and it was an away game, and we now only have to prepear for a home game. None the less, it is something I could have looked on the internet and recieved the same amount of satisfaction.

not going to plan for Argentina, have been all over Peru, who have only had 1 foray into the Argentinian half. Best chance probably went to Higuaín and there could have been a penalty after Heinze nearly had his shirt taken off him. You'd think it's only a matter of time before they make the breakthrough. So far though results elsewhere aren't going against them.

Palermo seals the win at the death for Argentina after some shambolic defending allowed Peru to equalise. Heinze really is a liability for Argentina though, Peru had a glorious chance earlier after his mistake, didn't think the second shot off the save was a handball either. Huge sigh of relief for Argentina and Mascherano especially after his part in the equaliser.

Conditions though were awful in the second half, camera was shaking all over the place, not even bothering to try and clean the lense as well, probably added to the drama.

Ecuador lost to Uruguay, 2-1, so a win will guarantee Argentina a place in South Africa but a draw will at least guarantee a play-off.

What. A. Game.

Epic. Just epic! As Tarbh already mentioned, the first half was a one sided show-off by Argentina, that started out pretty well but had problems to unfold their traditionally expansive and perfectly timed game against a 5-4-1 formation.

McCaw is to the All Blacks what Mascherano is to Argentina: Fit, combative, skilled, capable of stealing the ball at any given time, and a natural leader. I've watched him play at least 40 games with the National team, and I've yet got to see him underperform heavily. He played very well, although he had a blonde moment and a participation in Peru's goal.

Messi was absent, big time. Out of focus, incapable of just swooshing past the Peruvian defensive lines. Once again he proves he's not worthy of wearing the #10 yersey. We need Riquelme back -- he may not be as fast or as skilled as Messi, but his distribution skills are second to none, and he has a dangerous boot, ideal for set plays and free kicks.

Aimar was nervous because it had been a long while since he last wore the sky-blue and white jersey. He rushed on the game and didn't link well with Messi and Higuaín.

"Pipita" Higuaín is class. He is the forward that should take the field for us instead of Messi. His first cap was long overdue, and I was already fearing he might just go ahead and play for France.

The Peruvians really changed their minds after the half time break. They started to distribute the ball, Vargas and Solano were linking very well with Fano and Palacios. They deserved to score that goal.

And then... THE rain... :eek:

Spectators would think it was just heavy rain -- but the wind was the real issue. The weather was warm and humid, and the pitch conditions made for an utter disaster.

Martín Palermo was class as well. He's my personal football idol (I'm a Boca Juniors fan). He is the player we've been looking for since Batistuta, Caniggia and Crespo retired. We've had enough of these flea-like players that only perform in their European clubs. The fact they keep getting the call to play annoys the heck out of me.

I just couldn't stop crying after Palermo scored -- the crowd exploded in unending chants and dances. There is something ironic about that play though. Now that I looked at it in a slow-mo repetition, I saw that Palermo was offside. BUT... If you take a closer look, you'll see there was a Peruvian player outside the pitch (I believe he ended up there after he fell to the ground pretty hard). The game laws state that if a player finds himself outside the pitch, he must run back in after play has been restarted -- which he did not, therefore allowing Palermo to score legally. :eek:

Now, we're going to play Uruguay next wednesday, and as Tarbh said, we must win if we are to avoid a play off. So do the Uruguayans. This is going to be one heck of a game, and I think I'm going to go watch it at first hand.

Okay, on to the next and last round. I got my tickets today and will attend the match next wednesday. Despite the emotional game against Perú, we're still playing like crap. Rumor has it that Maradona will talk to the AFA chairman after the game, to inquire about certain things that have been annoying him. He thinks Grondona won't have the balls to kick his arse -- but he's dead wrong.

Anyway, I made this table with the possible outcomes of the last games, and how they would effect on each team in particular:

<center><TABLE BORDER=2>
<TH>URUGUAY-ARGENTINA</TH><TH>CHILE-ECUADOR</TH><TH>QUALIFIED</TH><TH>PLAY-OFF</TH>
<TR> <TD><center>Uruguay wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Chile wins</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> <TD><center>Argentina</center></TD></TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Uruguay wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> <TD><center>Argentina</center></TD></TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Uruguay wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Ecuador wins</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> <TD><center>Ecuador</center></TD></TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD> <TD><center>Chile wins</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> </TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> </TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD> <TD><center>Ecuador wins</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Ecuador</center></TD> </TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Argentina wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Chile wins</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> </TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Argentina wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Draw</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Uruguay</center></TD> </TR>

<TR> <TD><center>Argentina wins</center></TD> <TD><center>Ecuador wins</center></TD><TD><center>Argentina</center></TD><TD><center>Ecuador</center></TD> </TR></center>

</TABLE>

Fixtures (in local time):

<marquee>15:00 Peru v Bolivia ||
18:00 Brazil v Venezuela ||
18:00 Germany v Finland ||
19:00 Chile v Ecuador ||
19:45 Portugal v Malta ||
20:00 Paraguay v Colombia ||
20:00 Uruguay v Argentina ||
20:00 Switzerland v Israel ||
20:30 San Marino v Slovenia ||
20:30 Poland v Slovakia ||
20:30 Czech Republic v Northern Ireland ||
20:45 Sweden v Albania ||
20:45 Denmark v Hungary ||
21:00 Greece v Luxembourg ||
21:00 Latvia v Moldova
</marquee>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 11 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

We had a goal disallowed. Not surprisingly we're quite a ways back in the standings so a 0-0 in Bahrain was a good result. Now they have to come play us at the cauldron that is the cake tin (hint NZ Soccer put in more seating and get the Wellingtonian fanatics closer to the game).

Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, England, Italy and Serbia have all booked their places in South Africa in the UEFA qualifying zone. Switzerland look well set to confirm their spot tonight but Group 3 is far from clear cut with Slovakia 2 points clear but they can't afford to slip up away to Poland as Slovenia take on San Marino in what should be a guaranteed 3 points.

As for the play-offs, Portugal look set to take the Group 1 spot as do Greece in Group 2. Slovenia will get at least a play-off spot and should they top the group then Slovakia will have to take the play-off route. Russia and Bosnia Herzogovina have already booked a play-off spot. Given Ukraine face Andorra they're odds on to be runners-up to England. Ireland and France also guaranteed play-off spots last Saturday while Norway would need an unlikely scenario of results to go their way if they're to have a chance of being in the draw on Monday.

Not as complicated as South America, so should be a relatively stress free night, bar Group 3.

Quick post before I take off to Montevideo.

Formations:

Uruguay: Fernando Muslera; Andrés Scotti, Diego Lugano, Martín Cáceres, Maximiliano Pérez; Diego Pérez, Walter Gargano, Alvaro Pereira, Jorge Rodríguez; Luis Suárez and Diego Forlán. Head coach: Oscar Tabárez.

Argentina: Sergio Romero; Nicolás Otamendi, Rolando Schiavi, Martín Demichelis, Gabriel Heinze; Jonás Gutiérrez, Javier Mascherano, Juan Sebastián Verón, Angel Di María; Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain. Head coach: Diego Armando Maradona.

well,i'm now unhappy for sweden,however i'm now here in Brazil give supporter for "LA CELESTE OLIMPICA" winner over argentina.

estoy aca aguardando el gran juego argentina y uruguay,e creo en uruguay en este juego.

So Switzerland and Slovakia confirmed their automatic spots, although given the snow they were lucky to get a game at all in Poland. Both now join Denmark, Germany, England, Serbia, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands in South Africa.

The play-off draw will take place on Monday at 1400 CET with Russia, France, Greece and Portugal in pot 1 while Ukraine, Ireland, Bosnia Herzogovina and Slovenia will be in pot 2. f***in' FIFA :%#%#:

Huge win for Argentina as well, fell asleep for most of managed to wake up with about a minute left. Still though some achievement considering they've got a clown for a coach. You can have all the quality footballers you like but as I've said before footballers are thick and need proper coaching. Argentina have been proof of that.

So, we finally qualified. The atmosphere was so hostile! There were 60.000 Uruguayans and 1.300 Argentines.

Argentina played much better yesterday. The decision to settle for 4 hardcore defenders was spot on, and as a result the defenders stole the show from Forlan and Suárez. Uruguay exerted a lot of pressure on our midfielders in the first 20 minutes, but then Verón started to control the pace and distributed the ball VERY well -- I think Verón will be a crucial player come the WC next year, because he always knows what to do with the ball and doesn't rush on the game like the rest of our midfielders.

Messi was absent, once more. I did not see him touch a ball for the first 30 minutes of the game. And as if that was not enough, every time he got it, he did absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Now, Messi is an outstanding player, I know -- but he's a poor man's Maradona / Pelé. Maradona could win a game on his own and rarely relied on midfielders to supply him with the ball. On the other hand Messi's incapability to outweigh defenders is something we can't ignore anymore. Nobody is expecting him to score goals in every game, or to batter the opposite defenses for 80 minutes. But judging by his skills, we are expecting him to at least deliver 10% of what he does in Barcelona -- and he doesn't seem eager to fullfilling our desire. The press states that Grondona will ask Maradona to avoid calling Messi for the upcoming games, or to keep him on the bench.

The game was epic and very emotional, we're all happy now, BUT...

We still played an awful game. We have no identity. With Bielsa you knew that the whole team would rush to attack dynamically, at the expense of our defense. With Pekerman we knew that we'd see flashy football, with thousands of passes and stunts, control, and efficiency. But the message Maradona seems to be giving to the team prior to every match sounds like: "Go out there and see what you can do". While that may be okay for minnows, it certainly doesn't sit well with one of the most successful football powerhouses ever. I mean, since when Uruguay and Perú are confident that they'll beat us?!

Carlos Salvador Bilardo won that match for us. He was hidden amongst the crowd, wearing a hood and issuing orders to Alejandro Mancuso, Maradona's assistant.

Maradona remains the King of Jerks. Right after the match he told the press: "Now come suck my...". He's utterly annoyed because the media shattered his public image. He said: "I've got memory". Well, so do I.

Today I read that Spain has invited Argentina to play against them to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the AFE. Spain's no minnow -- and they will DESTROY us if we don't put our game together.

Maybe this will be Lionel Messi's chance to shine for the team -- the style of the Europeans does suit him. There is a HUGE gap between America and Europe. European clubs may have the best players name-wise, but they all struggle to beat Argentinian and Brazilian teams. Perhaps this is why Messi underperforms for us. He's spent so much time in Spain that he has forgotten how to play Argentine football. We'll see.

I still maintain the coaching has a huge amount to do with Messi, moreso the style of coaching, you can be sure that what Guardiola does with him at Barcelona is streets ahead of what Maradona does with him during the international window. Messi is the best player in the world and no side can afford to be without him, if it's a choice between the coach and Messi you know who should win every time. It wouldn't be the worst move that the authorities could make.

Another thing I was thinking about, while Maradona is undoubtedly a legend for what he did in 86, Messi wouldn't remember that but he would remember his antics in 94, so it's easy to see why there could be a lack of motivation in playing for such a man.

Its like Jerry Collins playing for the AB's and then having to play with some bunch of numpties like .............. eh .............. The Ospreys. Or Rocky Elsom playing with Leinster then having to go back and play with the Aussies. You always look better when you are playing with better players.

Messi playing for Barca is a different animal then Messi playing for Argentina.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 15 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I still maintain the coaching has a huge amount to do with Messi, moreso the style of coaching, you can be sure that what Guardiola does with him at Barcelona is streets ahead of what Maradona does with him during the international window. Messi is the best player in the world and no side can afford to be without him, if it's a choice between the coach and Messi you know who should win every time. It wouldn't be the worst move that the authorities could make.[/b]

Of course mate. The players have already showed animosity towards Maradona's attitude, namedly: getting up at 1PM, which messes with the training schedule; showing them "motivational" videos that contain bitter insults towards other nationalities (against Brazil he had them watch a video of a group of Argentines calling our Brazilian brothers "retarded ******"); his trend to avoid specific training and preparation (he hardly ever has them practice set plays or particular maneouvres) -- the list goes on and on.

If you look at Barça's starting squad, you'll see guys like Xavi and Iniesta, who are extremely dynamic and quick, which helps Messi unfold his skills on open field. However, that has to do with European football: down here we like to pass the ball a little more, and we actually keep control of it for longer periods. Therefore, whenever Messi gets the ball and looks around, he doesn't see anybody that could help him develop a good play.

There are other factors that come into play. There are certain players that might help Lionel show off his game... but they are too busy seeking their personal glory (Agüero, Tevez). Guys like these don't play for a team -- instead, they think the team plays for them. Regrettably, it's something that is deeply attached to Argentine football (this is why Rugby players here don't want to have anything to do with the football "world").

As we speak, I'm following the news regarding Maradona's situation. Rumor has it that Grondona will fire Mancuso and Lemme -- that will undoubtedly unleash Maradona's anger and might just make him resign. There are some candidates to take over his coaching spot: Either a triumvirate comprised of Bilardo (WC Winning team coach), Batista and Brown (current coaches of the U20 selections); or my favourite coach: Carlos "The Viceroy" Bianchi. If Bianchi does accept... then we've got everything to win this cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 15 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another thing I was thinking about, while Maradona is undoubtedly a legend for what he did in 86, Messi wouldn't remember that but he would remember his antics in 94, so it's easy to see why there could be a lack of motivation in playing for such a man.[/b]

Messi never got along with Maradona, the reason being that when we lost the QF game against Germany in the last WC, Maradona said that "Messi does not feel entitled to the jersey he's wearing". Messi has not forgotten those words.

Maradona will be a legend for the 1986 cup. But he is equally responsible for the chaos that arose within Argentina during the 1994 cup in the USA.

On a personal view, I think Diego is doing drugs again. Back when he was offered the coaching spot he was quiet, thin and seemed to be well over his past dramas. However, today we see exactly the opposite. I bet my car he's on coke again.

Video of Maradona's press conference after the game (with dubious English subtitles):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eBOS0LXt33Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eBOS0LXt33Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>´

Twenty-two club managers in Argentina have dished out a petition for people to sign, with the objective of getting the FIFA to fire Maradona. So far it's got +/- 1.280.000 signatures. According to all of our most notable newspapers, 92% of the Argentine population wants him to quit. However this will be difficult to achieve -- in case you don't know, Julio Grondona (AFA Chairman) happens to be the senior vice-president of the FIFA as well. This retard is single handedly destroying our reputation. People around the world must think we're a bunch of uneducated, ignorant and disrespectful individuals.

There is something Maradona completely ignores, though: he is what the society makes of him. If we cease to support his recidivist misdemeanors, he will eventually f**k off this place and leave us alone.

Good lord. I so want 2011 to come, so we can finally see true sportsmanship, on and off the field.

Has he done this before in press conferences or is this a first for him. Sadly nothing he does ever surprises you. The translation may have been a bit dodgy but you get the gist of what he's saying and he has definitely gone too far.

FIFA have opened a disciplinary case against him which could see him fined 20,000 Swiss Francs and banned for at least 5 matches. Maybe if he does receive such a ban the Argentine FA's hand may be forced and they'll get rid of him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 16 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Has he done this before in press conferences or is this a first for him. Sadly nothing he does ever surprises you. The translation may have been a bit dodgy but you get the gist of what he's saying and he has definitely gone too far.

FIFA have opened a disciplinary case against him which could see him fined 20,000 Swiss Francs and banned for at least 5 matches. Maybe if he does receive such a ban the Argentine FA's hand may be forced and they'll get rid of him.[/b]

He's done this before, but never as a coach. I wouldn't give a toss otherwise. He has got to acknowledge that he is representing Argentina in every single word he dares to spit out. If the translation had been properly done, without omitting crucial expressions, you'd have fallen off your chair. In that press room there were journalists from all over the world.

The guy Maradona centered his attack on is "Toti" Pasman, one of the best journalists down here; who did not say anything about Maradona per se -- he just voiced his opinion saying that this was "the worst Argentine team he had ever seen".

I just hope the FIFA will issue the ban right away and that it will lead to a positive outcome.

Latest posts