• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Qualifiers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 16 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 16 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has he done this before in press conferences or is this a first for him. Sadly nothing he does ever surprises you. The translation may have been a bit dodgy but you get the gist of what he's saying and he has definitely gone too far.

FIFA have opened a disciplinary case against him which could see him fined 20,000 Swiss Francs and banned for at least 5 matches. Maybe if he does receive such a ban the Argentine FA's hand may be forced and they'll get rid of him.[/b]

He's done this before, but never as a coach. I wouldn't give a toss otherwise. He has got to acknowledge that he is representing Argentina in every single word he dares to spit out. If the translation had been properly done, without omitting crucial expressions, you'd have fallen off your chair. In that press room there were journalists from all over the world.

The guy Maradona centered his attack on is "Toti" Pasman, one of the best journalists down here; who did not say anything about Maradona per se -- he just voiced his opinion saying that this was "the worst Argentine team he had ever seen".

I just hope the FIFA will issue the ban right away and that it will lead to a positive outcome.
[/b][/quote]

well if it is a 5 match ban that could well include the first game in South Africa, cause I think England are only playing 4 matches before their first game in the world cup, so you'd hardly want a coach who's banned for the first game.

I don't know exactly... we're playing Spain soon and that will be the last match of the year, I think. But if we judge our situation by past WC warm-ups, we'll play at least 6 games before June (Grondona talked about a little trip to the USA, where we'd play 3 games, and then we might head over to Japan for another 3 games). That'd make 7 official matches. <_<

But that is just hear-say. You are probably right... I hope you are. :D

The play-off draw for Europe has been made in Zurich. Here's the draw.

Ireland v France
Portugal v Bosnia-Herzogovina
Greece v Ukraine
Russia v Slovenia

Matches will be played on November 14 and 18. Not the worst draw for Ireland in fairness, they'd have loved Greece but Portugal and Russia would have been a nightmare. It's one we can win but also we could get a hiding if the French actually show up, here's hoping France don't improve on their qualifying form then we have a real chance.

Hmm, I think Ireland stands a chance. The French have been particularly irregular and tend to choke if they don't score
early in the game. They will have to work in their defense though. Against Italy they started out pretty well but after scoring they conceeded too many opportunities to the Azzurra.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 19 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hmm, I think Ireland stands a chance. The French have been particularly irregular and tend to choke if they don't score
early in the game. They will have to work in their defense though. Against Italy they started out pretty well but after scoring they conceeded too many opportunities to the Azzurra.[/b]

I'll be genuinely happy if Ireland wins versus France for the first time since 1981. French poofballers and their fans won't be vocal until September, perfect!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 27 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 19 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
early in the game. They will have to work in their defense though. Against Italy they started out pretty well but after scoring they conceeded too many opportunities to the Azzurra.[/b]

I'll be genuinely happy if Ireland wins versus France for the first time since 1981. French poofballers and their fans won't be vocal until September, perfect!
[/b][/quote]

I really don't understand the FFF's hostility towards the Irish fans, they seem to be tarring them with the same brush as the Scots, who booed the Marseillaise at the Parc des Princes in the qualifier that they played there. In 2004 Irish fans were clapping and la la-ing along to the Marseillaise, the fans were completely mixed with the French fans and there wasn't an ounce of trouble. I can understand wanting to keep the tickets for your own fans but the way Domenech and co have been talking just shows a huge disrespect to our fans, especially by calling us British. One thing though if they're more worried about us having more fans in the ground than they are about the actual match, that increases our chances.

One thing is guaranteed there'll definitely be more than 8000 Irish fans at the Stade de France, Domenech doesn't seem to realise that there are actually plenty of Irish in Paris and all over France for that matter who are more than willing to buy up tickets, we may not all be getting in our cars and going to the nearest FNAC as he so patronisingly said, but we'll have plenty of people doing so on our behalf.

Yeah... Domenech needs to cool off. :mellow:

Besides, he should not pay so much attention to the crowd and the whole tickets dilemma. France has been below par throughout the Qualifiers and a loss against Ireland in such a critical game will permanently sign Domenech's fate. Personally, I think he should've resigned a while ago... maybe after that shambolic Argentinian squad picked up a win in Marseille against a fully fledged French squad.

I really like Ireland and will be rooting for them -- they have got that sense of passion for the game that seems lost in many other teams. Go Ireland! :buddies:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 27 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Oct 27 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Oct 19 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I really don't understand the FFF's hostility towards the Irish fans, they seem to be tarring them with the same brush as the Scots, who booed the Marseillaise at the Parc des Princes in the qualifier that they played there. In 2004 Irish fans were clapping and la la-ing along to the Marseillaise, the fans were completely mixed with the French fans and there wasn't an ounce of trouble. I can understand wanting to keep the tickets for your own fans but the way Domenech and co have been talking just shows a huge disrespect to our fans, especially by calling us British. One thing though if they're more worried about us having more fans in the ground than they are about the actual match, that increases our chances.

One thing is guaranteed there'll definitely be more than 8000 Irish fans at the Stade de France, Domenech doesn't seem to realise that there are actually plenty of Irish in Paris and all over France for that matter who are more than willing to buy up tickets, we may not all be getting in our cars and going to the nearest FNAC as he so patronisingly said, but we'll have plenty of people doing so on our behalf.
[/b][/quote]

I don't know what's happening. I stopped paying attention to poofball around year 2000. I just find that this sport captures too much the attention of the media so if France loses this will cool them down and FIFA WC will be less covered and that's what I want.

well regardless if France qualify the coverage will be the same as if they had, just not the same level of hype.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 27 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well regardless if France qualify the coverage will be the same as if they had, just not the same level of hype.[/b]

It depends on what you call hype. We won't have half of the news on TV or Radio dedicated to FIFA WC, the other half being dedicated to the French team.

The FFF are demanding €1.5 million for the Irish rights to the second leg. RTÉ have bid €600,000 for the match, which seems more than reasonable given the first leg rights were bought by M6 for €5 million. The FFR should know full well that RTÉ won't be held to ransom given what happened with the rights for the second leg against Turkey in the playoffs for Euro 2000.

It could also be a ploy from the FFF to get a higher bid from the UK channels for the match, which should bring them more revenue than what they get from RTÉ or TV3.

I concur, allthough I don't understand why we can't just tell them to get f***ed and not sell them the rights to the game in Croke Park?

they're ****** as well cause the FAI sold the rights to M6 and not TF1 which normally show the French internationals, pathetic really on top of their efforts to stop Irish fans getting tickets.

ALL WHITES!!!! Such a great game, last night. Awesome atmosphere. People just didn't sit down and say nothing like they do at rugby games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ALL WHITES!!!! Such a great game, last night. Awesome atmosphere. People just didn't sit down and say nothing like they do at rugby games.[/b]

It looked an amazing atmosphere. New Zealand will be now trying to target the weakest team in their group, when groups are released. Still they'd have to extremely lucky to get someone that they could seriously challenge.

Still, that game last night was the most intense game of football I've ever watched.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 15 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL WHITES!!!! Such a great game, last night. Awesome atmosphere. People just didn't sit down and say nothing like they do at rugby games.[/b]

It looked an amazing atmosphere. New Zealand will be now trying to target the weakest team in their group, when groups are released. Still they'd have to extremely lucky to get someone that they could seriously challenge.

Still, that game last night was the most intense game of football I've ever watched.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, really amazing game 4 NZ standards, Mark Paston was very impressive. Falon was also good, nice header. NZ's set piece is really good and Leo is consistantly very good at executing from the set piece.

Too much to do now for Ireland in Paris on Wednesday after last night's defeat. We definitely had the beating of them and had we took our chances we could have been going there with at least a 3-1 lead, great chances for Lawrence, Whelan, Andrews and O'Shea. One obvious thing though was the difference in quality, we have no players who can pass the ball whereas the French have them in abundance. Under McCarthy we always passed the ball well but that seems to have gone under Trapatoni, we've been grinding out results and have done well to get to the play-offs but the style which we play was always going to be found out eventually.

Latest posts