• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Qualifiers

Disgrace. Fifa are already trying to sweep it under the carpet, they f***ing praised Henry for creating the goal and winning the match in their match report on their website. For Shame :toss:

Henry, should hang his head in shame, just as anybody who dives to win a penalty should. A blight on the game and Fifa should do everything in their power to get rid of cheating like this, which not only robs the cash strapped FAI of millions of euro but all the hard working, Irish fans who travelled in numbers to Paris to support their team. Feel really sorry for the likes of Given, Duff, Keane, Dunne and Kilbane who have given so much to Ireland and have been robbed of a chance to play in a World Cup finals, and probably won't get the chance to play in another.

If Fifa are so anti-technology, why not implement a system like the one Graeme Souness, Jonny Giles and Eamonn Dunphy were talking about on RTE (which they believe might have been implemented in some domestic competitions already) -

After the goal was scored and all the Irish players protest to an obvious and blatant basketball style handball which the linesman inexplicably misses, the referee walks over the Henry, and simply asks him did he handle the ball.

If Henry says he did, the goal is disallowed and a free kick is awarded to Ireland in the 6 yard box. If Henry says no, the goal is counted and France go to the World Cup, however if upon review it is decided he did handle the ball, he is given a 5 game International ban and a fine of the equivelent of 2 weeks wages, as well as it being publick knowledge he is a lying cheat.

That system is so simple I don't know why it isn't in place everywhere.

Well done to the Irish players, the really do deserve to be celebrating a famous victory tonight. Left enough goals on the pitch to win 4 games.

Sorry for starting another thread but I've never been so low over sport. The boys played their socks off tonight and were robbed of a chance to represent their country in the World Cup. Theirry Henry hang your head in shame, what you did tonight has erased years of good work. I wont hear any reasonable or logical arguments tonight, I'm too hurt. Well done boys, you made us proud.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can you imagine the reaction if that had been England on the receiving end?[/b]

in general the irish are........................ broken

Tá mo chroí bhristé

Seal da rabhas im' mhaighdean shéimh,
'S anois im' bhaintreach chaite thréith,
Mo chéile ag treabhadh na dtonn go tréan
De bharr na gcnoc is i n-imigcéin.

'Sé mo laoch, mo Ghile Mear,
'Sé mo Chaesar, Ghile Mear,
Suan ná séan ní bhfuaireas féin
Ã" chuaigh i gcéin mo Ghile Mear

But lets say Robbie Keane did the same thing going the otherway... I doubt you lot would be on a moral high horse then. It was an incident in sport, the ref missed it, it'll be forgotten within six months.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly the same?
[/b][/quote]
x 1 MILLIONZZZ!!!!!111!!!one!!1!
[/b][/quote]

Been there, done that... All that happened was MAradona was still remembered as the best ever while nobody else cared after 2 weeks.

Some people need to man the f*** up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 19 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 18 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly the same?
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Been there, done that... All that happened was MAradona was still remembered as the best ever while nobody else cared after 2 weeks.

[/b][/quote]

my arse they did, some people are still going on about it now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 19 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All that happened was MAradona was still remembered as the best ever while nobody else cared after 2 weeks.[/b]
Given your stance towards Matt Stevens and Wendell Sailor, don't you regard Maradona as drug taking scum who has no place in the game?

I couldn't care about Maradonna or the games image because I honestly don't give 2 shits about soccer.

But all cokeheads are scum, full stop.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 19 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 19 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 18 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly the same?
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

my arse they did, some people are still going on about it now.
[/b][/quote]

Who would that be then?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 19 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry for starting another thread but I've never been so low over sport. The boys played their socks off tonight and were robbed of a chance to represent their country in the World Cup. Theirry Henry hang your head in shame, what you did tonight has erased years of good work. I wont hear any reasonable or logical arguments tonight, I'm too hurt. Well done boys, you made us proud.[/b]

Don't get angry. It is a sport run by shitty people and something the media obsesses over, which creates the cycle of pantomime bullshit we get 365 days a year.

The players behave like children on the pitch, there's a photo of about 6 Irish players bawling their heads off at the referee; something that is common in football and absolutely disgraceful. Football has a culture surrounding it of lying and cheating. The most innocuous challenge produces a massive charade; you'd think players are in agony when in fact they've just fallen over. Then of course if you lose or are disciplined, its never your own fault, always the referee's.

Off the field too, almost everyone involved in football behaves like an absolute arsehole. There are the obvious ones who are widely portrayed as villains, like Ronaldo and Ca$hley, but even players with great reputations like Gerrard and Terry are money-grabbing cheats just like the rest of them. There's enough hypocrisy in football to fill this column every week.

Fans too are appalling. They may be more passionate than a rugby crowd, but I'd take less passion, no violence and being able to sit anywhere in the stadium ahead of the pathetic tribal conflicts you get in football. Organised hooliganism and racism may be out of the game on the surface, but I know people who've stopped buying season tickets because there are scuffles and fights outside the ground that go unreported, and there is racism inside the ground that goes unreported.

Football, as played in the park and playground, is a wonderful sport. The professional game has its moments. But really, Ireland, you should be glad that you're not in the world cup, because proper sports that have a degree of integrity, like Gaelic games and Rugby, will only become more popular as a result. Maybe one of these days you'll be as lucky as Australia and only play your indigenous sport, rugby and cricket, and not bother with football.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Nov 19 2009, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

in general the irish are........................ broken

Tá mo chroí bhristé

Seal da rabhas im' mhaighdean shéimh,
'S anois im' bhaintreach chaite thréith,
Mo chéile ag treabhadh na dtonn go tréan
De bharr na gcnoc is i n-imigcéin.

'Sé mo laoch, mo Ghile Mear,
'Sé mo Chaesar, Ghile Mear,
Suan ná séan ní bhfuaireas féin
Ã" chuaigh i gcéin mo Ghile Mear
[/b][/quote]
Hah leaving cert poetry

The thing that made me chuckle was how everyone seemed to rally around Henry and blame the ref. Its absolutely laughable when a sport has been reduced to a concept of applauding those who manage to cheat the best. I mean imagine if that happened to rug ....... oh jesus!.

Seriously though it is kinda funny how Henry seemed to initially get off scot free. Football accepts such blatant cheating as acceptable.

As Richard Dunne put it. FIFA have gotten what they wanted. France and Portugal are through.

On the Maradonna thing. I still remember it quite clearly though. I was 12 years old and a big fan of Gary Lineker. I remember England getting off to a shakey start, coming through with a big win (over Poland and some South American team) and eventually losing out to the hand. At the time it was a massive deal over here and everyone who watched it still remembers it. I remember Maradonna for three instances in his career. Two of the goals in that match in '86 and the celebration when he went right into the camera in '94?

Oh, and BBC have the "reaction" as their main headline (though that may just be for Irish users)

Worryingly enough, it's not just for Irish users... The BBC seem to think that because a lot of ROI players play in the Premiership, the British public want to see it. They'd be wrong.

As for the referee, he had a good game I thought aside from that decision.

Football is the game of injustice because not always who plays best is the winner.
Why?
because you can not put the ball in the net and it does not make the goal so important.
FIFA should remake the game of France and Ireland because of that goal by hand

a question to New Zealanders, as is the football in your country?
for all I know is not a sport so popular and so also heard that many play soccer until the age of fifteen and then not be importam.however saw the playoff game against bahrain saw that the stadium was cheio.falem porfavor as is the situation of football in New Zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Nov 19 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
a question to New Zealanders, as is the football in your country?
for all I know is not a sport so popular and so also heard that many play soccer until the age of fifteen and then not be importam.however saw the playoff game against bahrain saw that the stadium was cheio.falem porfavor as is the situation of football in New Zealand.[/b]

It's there alright (soccer is everywhere), but it's not that popular. this will sum it up best (from the perspective of the soccer liking minority);

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...-Bahrain-0.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Rory Fallon hopes his golden goal is enough to kick New Zealand's love of rugby into touch.

The Plymouth front man made history with a strike that sealed a place in the World Cup finals for the first time since 1982.

And now he wants the nation to forget about the All Blacks' Haka - and start dancing with the All Whites next summer.

As a kid Fallon, now 27, got so fed up of the way football was ignored due to the power of the All Blacks rugby team that he moved to England!

But after his 45th-minute play-off winner sunk Bahrain, he said: "We aren't trying to take over the rugby.

"But we just want a decent chance to be in the headlines. It's been a dark cloud over New Zealand football for years.

"That's why I tried to escape New Zealand - because it was just too full of rugby.

"I love rugby, don't get me wrong. But sometimes they need to share the limelight, hopefully now we can get some of it."

All Whites boss Ricki Herbert was a member of the '82 team and insists the cash from this success will be used to produce a new generation of players.

They failed to make the most of their prize-money last time they were successful but this time a fund of around £5million will be put to better use.

Herbert said: "We'd better spend the bloody money right because we're not going down that path of '82!

"We have waited 27 years to resurrect something and it's incredibly important to all of us and incredibly important to players, the public, to the kids.

"We need to roll it forward so that we become a regular country at these events."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...l#ixzz0XJYXleKB[/b]

Latest posts